Halo or HID | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Halo or HID

Hey guys, currently looking into upgrading my headlights to a HALO or HID light. Has anyone done this before? I am looking for something easy, but still will make a great difference! I don't really want to spend more than $200 either. What would you do? What kit would you use?
Useful info: 2002 Ex XLT
THANKS!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys, currently looking into upgrading my headlights to a HALO or HID light. Has anyone done this before?

Yes. There are definitely some conversions that have been done on the 2002-2005 Explorers

Try doing a search in this forum for Halo or HID and look through the different installs. You can learn a lot by taking some time to research and see how various people did it.

I have been looking, everything looks great, I guess I just need a really good write up, with some pics, and basically step by step instructions!

This is a sticky right at the top of THIS section.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209015

This is the only method where you can feasibly do it for under 200 bones, and only if you piece your conversion together by shopping around ebay and such, waiting for good deals on the projectors.

Your project will be a little easier since you have an 02, and bigger housings.

Otherwise, you can find his thread on his newer truck. Around 315 for a complete kit using morimoto mini projectors from theretrofitsource,com, and it becomes a SUPER easy retrofit.

The best place I can recommend for researching this further is www.hidplanet.com where you can view the forums and ask plenty of questions from people that have even more experience than those of us on this forum even.

thank you FIND
since i just got a job i may commit to something more around $350

thank you FIND
since i just got a job i may commit to something more around $350

One thing you may want to take into consideration (if you haven't already) is whether your Ex is your daily driver and how much "down" time you can afford. If it is your daily driver, you may want to consider doing your retrofit on a spare set of assemblies. You can pick up a used set from eBay for probably about $50 each depending on what shape they are. Aside from keeping your stock assemblies while you tinker, it will also allow you to practice cracking those things open. Some folks find it easy, some folks (like me!) have ruined assemblies on their 1st attempt. I know it jacks up your budget, but better safe than sorry...

Thank you divemaster, it is a daily
i would do the retro fit but im not quite on the page of understanding the process!

Thank you divemaster, it is a daily
i would do the retro fit but im not quite on the page of understanding the process!

The 10,000ft level, this covers 99% of the retrofits out there:

1. Remove headlight assembly from vehicle.
  2. Remove old bulbs - Save bulbs that you will reuse (Sidemarker, Turn Sginal, etc...).
  3. Remove lens, either with the oven method or the heatgun method.
  4. Test fit of components for location and trimming requirements.
  5. Install components, except for lens.
  6. Install assembly and electrical components on vehicle.
  7. Perform rotational adjustment of projectors and lock projectors into place to prevent rotation from road shocks - Vertical/Horizontal adjustment optional at this stage.
  8. Remove assembly from vehicle.
  9. Seal lens to assembly.
  10. Install assembly on vehicle.
  11. Perform Vertical/Horizontal adjustment (or check if it was performed at step 7)
Of all those steps, #3 is the most time-consuming and the most potentially destructive, which is why I use the heatgun method (others have had good luck with the oven method, but I melted the lens on my 1st attempt!).

As far as a "good write-up", check the links that FIND posted, they're great at filling the blanks. No 2 retrofits are exactly the same, there is a bit or trial and error in each, and a lot of legwork. "Where do I mount the ballast", "how do I trim this or that", "where does the orange wire go", etc... Some of it is vehicle-specific, some is generic.

Just ask questions on the specific step, post pics to show the issue, and we can help you prepare your own step-by-step process. One more comment: you're tinkering with a safety device, so don't jump in until you have all your questions answered to where you feel comfortable doing it!

Back