2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The factory warranty is 3 yr/36,000 miles isn't it? When they get the part in, there will not be any further issues, hopefully.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow! Ours has sat at the stealership since 8/29/12. Maybe I too should look into the KY lemon laws....

For those who’ve experienced a concern and haven’t PM’d me yet, I can help by escalating up to your regional customer service managers. So I can do this, please send me a PM with your contact info (including your full name, best daytime phone number, mileage, dealer name/state, and VIN).

BTW, the support from this community is great; thanks again, guys.

I got my explorer back this week with the new steering rack. It has been 5 weeks in the shop. Dealership did a good job and I got the use of a rented Yukon for the time and no charge to me!...
It’s really awesome you have your ride back, cbx1047. :):thumbsup:

Cory

Ya I'm glad you got your ride back too, but WTF?? 5 weeks? Mine has been sitting there for 2 months!!!! Come on, how the hell does this happen?
Thanks for all you've done for me Cory, but perhaps you could maybe see if someone can explain this.

Chris

Well surprise surprise. Dealer called today and said our Explorer is ready. Part came in yesterday and its fixed! 63 days it sat there, 9 weeks without it, 2 car payments made on it. All I can say is its about time. Next thing that goes wrong with it I swear I'm trading it in.

Well surprise surprise. Dealer called today and said our Explorer is ready. Part came in yesterday and its fixed!...
It must be really great to have your Explorer back, kd4pwh; thanks for keeping me in the loop.

Cory

I did trade...

Well surprise surprise. Dealer called today and said our Explorer is ready. Part came in yesterday and its fixed! 63 days it sat there, 9 weeks without it, 2 car payments made on it. All I can say is its about time. Next thing that goes wrong with it I swear I'm trading it in.

I got tired of worrying about the whole steering issue, the sync system not working half the time and I just traded mine in and not on another Ford either. Never again.

Got my Explorer back today (Been in the shop since 9/21). Thank you Cory for your help and to Ford for giving me a rental car to drive.

The situation wasn't optimal, but the response & service by Woody Anderson, Ford, and Cory was top notch.

When it comes time to buy another car someday, I'll remember how well this situation was handled!

...Thank you Cory for your help and to Ford for giving me a rental car to drive.

The situation wasn't optimal, but the response & service by Woody Anderson, Ford, and Cory was top notch...
You’re welcome, Jrister24; I appreciate the shout-out! :D

Cory

Just found out that the part arrived at my dealer yesterday. Since Ford is repurchasing my Explorer, the dealer is on hold waiting to hear back from Ford RAV (Re Acquired Vehicle) if they should repair or not. My service advisor told me, I will never drive it again, or that is how it has worked in the past.

Now if Ford RAV would finish processing the paperwork I could go buy my 2013.

We are waiting on some worksheet according to the RAV agent. From conversations I have had with various people there, it sounds like a busy department. Agents are impossible to get in contact with, they don't answer phone call or respond to emails. I work my way around phone trees until I get a person on the phone.

On September 25th we had the same exact issue happen to us. It's my wife's vehicle and she was driving it to work - about 45mph - when the power steering went out. Luckily she was almost there and could literally fight it to the parking lot. I went out to swap cars and take hers to the dealers and of course, it was fine when I turned it on. Took it to the dealers and luckily they saw the fault. Dealer said he had *never* seen anything like it but would put in an order for parts.

It's been at the dealers ever since (as of today, 50 days).

I can't begin to tell you the helpless, angry emotions we feel (but I know I'm preaching to the choir). The dealer stopped calling me 3 weeks ago because he had no updates and felt calling me was useless without a concrete update. The last time I spoke with him, I expressed my disappointment and he showed no empathy - just basically, there's nothing I can do, we've done everything to try to get this part, it is what it is kind of attitude.

When we purchased the car, I guess I was smart enough to purchase the extended PremiumCare warranty with the rental car option. So now the wife drives around in a tin can Nissan Versa. We got the $11/day extended insurance originally thinking that this was going to take a day or so to fix it, but now you can imagine what the bill is (I just have to wonder if we didn't get the extended warranty, that Ford would have provided us a like-model loaner N/C). I asked the dealership if they'd cover our rental in total (including insurance) and he said they'd look into it (which is what they told me every time I spoke with him).

After my unhappiness with my last dealer conversation, I called Ford DIRECT a couple weeks ago .. I asked about covering the rental and low-n-behold, they said it had been approved .. I asked about Ford covering our auto payments during the time we haven't been driving our car and they approved that as well. That obviously made me happy. They told me they'd call me in a few days with an update which also made me happy. But no call came. Last Friday I spoke with Mark, a customer service manager who knew the dealer .. he said he'd get to the bottom of it and call me, but no call yet.

We're just so tired of this whole situation. We liked the new Ford Explorer .. we liked the look .. we liked how it drove .. we liked the interior, the technology. But this whole situation has really turned us off of Ford. The unfairness of it all .. the lack of communication .. THE FEAR THAT THE FIX WON'T BE A FIX if/when we see our car (especially after someone on the message board said it hadn't worked). My wife does not want it back now - nor does she want another Explorer especially after hearing in this chain that the 2013s are having the same issue.

I'm glad I found this board and know that I'm not alone.

Welcome to the Forum, RSMFordOwner.:wavey:
You are definitely not alone in experiencing this issue. There were many posts that indicated that the required parts were back ordered into late November. Hopefully your will arrive soon and you can get on enjoying what you paid for.
Good luck.

Peter

Thanks Peter!

Funny - just got a call from the dealer this morning. He said 200 of these replacement parts are on back-order and not due in until 11/26 (we are supposedly #89 on the list). He said 'gee, there must be some issue with these parts' as he's never seen a backlog like this. Just amazes me how allegedly clueless the dealers are with respect to vehicle issues .. the fact that Ford keeps their dealers in the dark.

Thanks Peter!

Funny - just got a call from the dealer this morning. He said 200 of these replacement parts are on back-order and not due in until 11/26 (we are supposedly #89 on the list). He said 'gee, there must be some issue with these parts' as he's never seen a backlog like this. Just amazes me how allegedly clueless the dealers are with respect to vehicle issues .. the fact that Ford keeps their dealers in the dark.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the back order number at one time was around 800.
I don't think there is a lot of communications between Ford and its dealers on many things. It seems that everytime there is a new software update to SYNC/MFT there are many dealers who are not aware of it.
So far so good on my 2011 in regards to the steering issue. I don't have that many miles on it (7000) so I'm hoping it won't show up later.

Peter

It was over 1200 on back order in September. I took mine in on September 17. The replacement rack and pinion came in last week. So hopefully soon yours will be in. I lemon lawed mine in Minnesota since we have generous law. Call the BBB as I posted in a previous post in this thread to see if it applies. I'm receiving back all what I paid for the Explorer minus .10 per mile and only a prorated part of the extended warranty since it was not directly from Ford (not happy losing $450). I'm also applying to receive a sales tax refund from the State of Minnesota for the sales tax on my trade in.

I should be picking up my 2013 Explorer Limited 203B Kodiak Brown on Monday or Tuesday. I have not heard of the power steering issue on the '13 except for one on here. Most of the bugs seem to be worked out.

Here is a link to the California Lemon Law. http://www.bbb.org/us/Storage/16/Documents/BBBAutoLine/CA-LLaddinfo.pdf

I have not heard of the power steering issue on the '13 except for one on here. Most of the bugs seem to be worked out.
http://www.bbb.org/us/Storage/16/Documents/BBBAutoLine/CA-LLaddinfo.pdf

There's been a few references to my 2013 power steering issue, figured it was time to chime back in. I had six issues on startup within the first 500 miles, nothing since then (1500 miles now). I continue to drive it and have never had any problem while driving. This all originated in early Oct.

My salesman also got involved and now plays liaison between me and service. Within a week, the service department claimed they could get an emergency shipment and have it replaced. Dates came and went...

The salesman calls weekly but usually without much information. However, when he called last week he said the part should be in very late this week. I'd think that would mean today or tomorrow, but I haven't heard anything yet.

One thing I have noticed, if I start it and VERY quickly start driving, the steering is usually very tough for about a second. Almost as if I'm trying to drive before the system has fully 'booted' Anyone else ever notice that?

Here we go again

Started my Ex up this morning and guess what? Terrain Management system fault. This is what happened the last time at the beginning. I am expecting within the next month to lose my steering again. It was in the shop a month last time I had the rack replaced. So sick of this vehicle.

Hi Everyone,
I just bought a 2013 Explorer and has 1700 miles. Just took a thanksgiving trip down to atlanta to see my son and my grand kids when the power steering light came on. Twice. Luckily I was going slow and was able to pull the car over and restart it and the issue went away. While I was in Atlanta the local ford dealership was a quarter mile away and decided to have them take a look at it today. Low and behold they need the car until Tuesday. They would not give me a loaner or pay for my rental vehicle. No compensation. I am on my way to pick up the rental from the airport now as I need to be back in NYC for work on Monday. I need some assistance here as not only am I out of pocket on the rental but now my explorer will need to be shipped to NYC. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Hi Everyone,
I just bought a 2013 Explorer and has 1700 miles. Just took a thanksgiving trip down to atlanta to see my son and my grand kids when the power steering light came on. Twice. Luckily I was going slow and was able to pull the car over and restart it and the issue went away. While I was in Atlanta the local ford dealership was a quarter mile away and decided to have them take a look at it today. Low and behold they need the car until Tuesday. They would not give me a loaner or pay for my rental vehicle. No compensation. I am on my way to pick up the rental from the airport now as I need to be back in NYC for work on Monday. I need some assistance here as not only am I out of pocket on the rental but now my explorer will need to be shipped to NYC. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum Rotunda. :wavey: Too bad this had to be your first post. If it does inded require a new steering rack, don't count on getting it back anytime soon. Parts are apparently on back order.
Did the dealer say why they wouldn't let you take it? If they say it is a safety issue then I think they would be at odds with Ford's conclusion on this issue. I don't see why you should be out of pocket for any $$ since this is a known problem with the vehicle although I don't think it has affected many 2013 models.
Best get Cory or Gina, the Ford reps on here involved with this and see what they can do to help. Just look for the FordCustSrvc name in any of the threada and send them a Private Message.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Peter

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like you had a similar issue. Were they able to get this resolved for you without collateral issues? That's my concern now as well.

Cory/Gina,
I was advised to contact you. Let me know what you need from me in the private message.

Thanks.

Back