Possible Project Truck | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible Project Truck

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
I've come across a possible good deal, but need some transmission, T-case opinions.

2001 Eddie Bauer, perfect body, good leather interior, 4.0L SOHC V6 (boo!), AWD, 143k , good tires, no timing chain noise. Owner states truck will not move in any gear. He parked it and doesn't know what's wrong with it. Selling cheap as-is and it hasn't sold in over 30 days. he's already reduced the price once.

I haven't seen the truck in person yet. I can see it later this week. Pictures look very good.

I don't really want a V6/AWD, but for the right price I may consider fixing it and flipping it to buy another 2WD V8 for my daughter.

I know that one reason these transmissions will not move in any gear is if the fluid is low. besides that, if the trans is bad i can get it rebuilt or swap it out for a used unit. My questions are, what is the average cost of rebuilding one of these trans? and is there something in the T-case which could cause this type of symptom? I really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ive seen used trannies around here for 400 bucks or so... How much is the ex?

Also they don't make a v6 awd, just a 4x4 model. Only awd is the v8.

Ive seen used trannies around here for 400 bucks or so... How much is the ex?

Also they don't make a v6 awd, just a 4x4 model. Only awd is the v8.

I think I can get it for $1500. I didn't think the AWD was available on the V6, but's that what he told me when I asked. I don't see a V8 emblem on the front fender, so i'm pretty sure its a V6. Maybe he has no idea what he has. any opinion on what could be wrong (I know I'm asking a wide question, but thinking maybe someone has had a similar problem).

Well like you said, sometimes low fluid can cause no engagement but running low on fluid also can trash the transmission so do not count on being able to just add fluid.

1500 is too much. I wouldn't pay over 1000. I can find a running explorer for 1500. There was a 83k mile 97 sport for 500 bucks here that needed a trans. I passed because it also had an oil leak though.

Maybe ask for a pic of the engine bay?

Oh, I'm certainly not counting on it being as simple as just a low fluid level, but it might be worth a look-see. I thought that if I pay 1500 and put no more than 1500 more into it I can probably flip it for around 4,000 to 4,200 down here. I'm not including my labor as I'm retired and look forward to projects. It appears to be a very clean vehicle, but if needs anything beyond the tranny it proably isn't worth the trouble.

Thanks for the input.

No problem. I wouldn't bother with a rebuild if you are flipping. I would get a used one for sure. Much cheaper. Good thing is having an explorer you know the things to look for when checking it over.

I just don't know that wouldn't fetch 4000 around here with those miles. But i do understand each market is different. I just found my parents a 2000 xlt with every option an xlt can have but a moon roof, not a spot of rust, 92k miles, paid 4500, which was even over priced but it was worth it for the lack of rust.

No problem. I wouldn't bother with a rebuild if you are flipping. I would get a used one for sure. Much cheaper. Good thing is having an explorer you know the things to look for when checking it over.

I just don't know that wouldn't fetch 4000 around here with those miles. But i do understand each market is different. I just found my parents a 2000 xlt with every option an xlt can have but a moon roof, not a spot of rust, 92k miles, paid 4500, which was even over priced but it was worth it for the lack of rust.

Yeah, that's the nice thing about living in the south. No rust. I bought my loaded '01 EB 5.0 this past summer. I'd been hunting for just the right one, in the right color, for about a year. It's in such nice shape it's almost like a new truck. The undercarriage hasn't got a lick of rust on it, not even on the nuts and bolts. I gave $4100 for it and that was a bargain. The first thing to go down here are the interiors, but other than the driver's seat bottom leather (which I replaced) the interior looks brand new too. Clean Explorers '99-'01 with well over 100K on them sell for $4000+ down here all day long. We'll see what happens with the one I'm looking at. It won't break my heart if it doesn't pan out. There's always another one just around the corner.

Well like I said, there's always another one just around the corner. Going to look at a 2000 Mountaineer Premiere tomorrow. 5.0L V8, AWD, 133k, tan leather interior and Wedgewood Blue exterior just like my '01 Eddie B. Pictures look like it's very clean inside and out and it's loaded w/all options, one owner since new, owner reports no mechanical problems (i'll be the judge of that) and i think i can get it for $2,500. This one may be a keeper, although I'd prefer it was 2wd. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sounds like a good deal. Could always swap in a 4x4 transfer case and manual hubs that way it'll drive like a 2wd, not have all that crap spinning, but still be able to use 4x4 when you need it.

i have to agree. 1500 for one with a blown trans, is way to high. 300-500 is more of a going rate for me. i have bought and sold around 15 rangers and explorers combined in the last two years with either a blown trans, or motor, swapped them out for a used one, put a safety on it with the average price of 300 in parts (we need to do a mechanical safety where i live before a new owner can register it) and flipped it for a average price of 3600. also if this helps you out, the things i have normally had to fix/replace are e-brake cables, upper/lower ball joints, front brakes, and rusted rocker panels.

Well like I said, there's always another one just around the corner. Going to look at a 2000 Mountaineer Premiere tomorrow. 5.0L V8, AWD, 133k, tan leather interior and Wedgewood Blue exterior just like my '01 Eddie B. Pictures look like it's very clean inside and out and it's loaded w/all options, one owner since new, owner reports no mechanical problems (i'll be the judge of that) and i think i can get it for $2,500. This one may be a keeper, although I'd prefer it was 2wd. I'll let you know how it goes.

that sounds like a good deal...but are you sure it is a premier because I was under the impression that when premier was built in 2000
it was only available in spruce green.

that sounds like a good deal...but are you sure it is a premier because I was under the impression that when premier was built in 2000
it was only available in spruce green.

It has body colored bumpers and grille and said Premier on the tail gate, so... ???

well that definitely sounds like a premier, but when i got mine the research I found said it was only made in spruce green....but then again you can't always believe everything you read on the net. So you looked at it today correct, how was it?

well that definitely sounds like a premier, but when i got mine the research I found said it was only made in spruce green....but then again you can't always believe everything you read on the net. So you looked at it today correct, how was it?

after driving 45 mins to go see it, the guy sold it out from under me. guess you can't blame him, but if i knew someone was coming with cash-in-hand to see something i was selling (i'd spoken to the guy less than 2 hours before) i would at least give the prospective purchaser right of 1st refusal. anyway, i had found out that the truck had spent most of it's life in PA, so rust was a concern and ideally i'd prefer 2wd. oh well, on to the next corner.

After I bought my 2000 mountaineer I found out it was from PA, which was hard to believe because there was no rust under the truck. My 01 sport has alot more rust under her then the mounty.

I finally found exactly what I've been looking for. A 2000 Mountaineer Monterey, Georgia truck, 5.0 V8, auto trans, 2WD, towing package, 179K, 5 brand new Michelin tires, decent but not perfect red paint with tan trim, tan leather interior, power seats, 6 disc CD changer, driver's info center and overhead display, rear A/C. Interior's in good shape, but needs a good cleaning and I'll need to repair center arm rest cover (typical). The truck drives great, got over 21.3 MPG on the 60 mile ride home (my '01 Eddie Bauer, following, only got 19.3). The Monty is basically identical to my EB, which has very option except the sun roof, which I'm glad about (just a leak looking for a place to happen).

lots of cleaning and detailing next week. It rides a little more harsh than my EB so will probably need shocks and maybe ball joints before spring (they look like OE), but for what i paid for it ($2000) that's not a problem and I'll be doing the work myself. I fixed the driver's door lock solenoid as soon as i got it home and then my wife stole it and went to "Wally-World". Well i don't let her drive my EB and her old Pontiac just lunched its tranny, so i guess that's only fair.

I really like the Mountaineer grille and clear headlights. I'll let you know what else I find when I tear into it next week, but so far I'm a happy camper. I think this one may be a keeper.

Sounds nice, koda. Best wishes.

Back