nomadic111

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Portland, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Hi guys. Greetings from Oregon.
I've got a question that's a bit puzzling for me, and I'm hoping to get some experienced insight. I've got a '99 4.0 4x4 XLT, and I'd like to find a set of wheels and tires that I can swap over when I decide to head off the pavement and into the unknown. I've already changed out the original 15inch wheels for the 16's I now have, installed 1.5" shackles in the rear, and just brought up the front end to match. I'm really having a tough time trying to figure out what I need for the way I want to use it.

I don't have plans to go mud-bogging or rock climbing with my Ex. I do plan to haul a small offroad type camping trailer out into the back country somewhere around me here in Oregon. I just don't know what size of wheel is best. 15 inch wheels (with a given OD) provide more sidewall flex and are better for snow and rough, rocky roads(?) 16 inch tires provide a smaller sidewall and more stablilty with a trailer or heavy loads(?) I just don't get it. How do you guys determine what's best?

With the addition of the Ranger's 16 inch wheels and 255/70's (30" tall?), I already get some splash up onto the sides. I don't have flares (but I do have a set of the Bushwackers- if I could stand drilling into my virgin sheetmetal) So I want something about 31-31.5" tall but not much wider. I like the simple black steel American racing "D" window, and the BFG All Terrains. The plan is for the all the wheels and tire sizes (inc. the trailer) to match. If I go way out into the unknown, I want something good and dependable. (But I'll still carry one spare)

Where do I go from here?

Thanks guys!

2012-08-11_17-03-39_225.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd say 16's, there really isn't going to be a huge difference in sidewall (1/2" radius) and it's easier to get a taller/skinnier tire. Stock 235/75r16 is almost a 31" tall tire.
Tires are more expensive for the 16" rim though

I'd say 16's, there really isn't going to be a huge difference in sidewall (1/2" radius) and it's easier to get a taller/skinnier tire. Stock 235/75r16 is almost a 31" tall tire.
Tires are more expensive for the 16" rim though

Okay, but I want something that's at least 31" tall. Which again, is only an inch taller than what I now have. I have the room for something larger, so I'd like to fill the open space without going too large and heavy. That's why I figure 31 to 31.5" tall will be conservative diameter.

Thanks!

255/75r16 or 265/75r16 are both over 31"

It would take a good bit of modification to fit 265/75s and probably a body lift, especially on a regular ex. IIRC BFG makes a 31x10.5 AT. I was looking between 15 and 17" wheels for mine when I was getting new wheels. I went with 17s because they would have less float on the road, granted I have 35" KM2s so I have a lot more sidewall than a 31 would have but that's my thought process. Also because I haul a lot the 17" came in load range D whereas the 15s only came in load range C. I'd suggest running a D range tire for towing anything just because they will wear and hold up better with the extra weight.

^depends on how much weight hes towing. A higher range also means a rougher ride and a heavier tire. A 265/75r16 will probably rub without lift, but I wouldn't imagine anything to bad.
BTW a 31x10.5 isn't really 31" tall.

265/75r16 is 10.5" wide and 31.7" tall. Shouldn't rub to* bad

^depends on how much weight hes towing. A higher range also means a rougher ride and a heavier tire. A 265/75r16 will probably rub without lift, but I wouldn't imagine anything to bad.
BTW a 31x10.5 isn't really 31" tall.

The 265/75r16 is the size I had in mind. You think they would rub? I want to keep the tire inside the fender as much as I can. (I'm not looking to cover the windshield and hood with mud whenever I pass through)
And that reminds me- I understand the wheel backspacing is 4.5". Can that be increased in any amount? Or do I need to fit and look? (which may be difficult if I order tires and wheels online)

Thanks again!

Haha they'd probably rub. Maybe someone on here has tried em? 235 sits pretty flush so a 265 will definitely be outside the fenders. Doesn't really matter though, no matter what tire size you throw on there it'll throw mud up. Remember when you turn the wheel the front tires sit way outside the wheel well.

I think the 255/75r-16 sounds about like what I want.

Thanks for your help guys!

If your looking for a 31" you could always go with the 265/70r16.....it's the exact same size as a 31x10.5
IMAG0325.jpg

IMAG0324.jpg

here is a few pics of my mounty with them

I've got a sport trac but it should be similar, I'm guessing with the trac having more room for tires. When mine wasn't lifted yet I was planning on getting 265/76 16s and test fitted them. Yes they rub like hell. I can't tell you how much trimming would be involved because I was given a quick "no" on the fitment, so I got 265/70 16s. At stock height even those had some rubbing at full lock.

The Mountaineer looks great! (and nearly identical to mine) It's pretty close to what I want with the fit. But with the 265's do you get alot of spray and debris from the road? Rubbing? (265's are 1/2" wider than 255's?)
I'm going to pass on the 265/75's if there's even a possibility of rubbing. I still want to be more on the conservative side. If they fit well on the Mounty (and they look plenty wide enough to me), then that's where I'm headed.

Thanks again! You've all been a huge help with my decision.

(I guess it's time to pony up and help support the site better)

Has the Mounty been lifted? It looks about the same as my 1.5" shackles and tt.

TGtrac, the STs have a larger opening by about 5" to the ex's.

Those tires fill up the wheel openings quite nicely on the mounty :thumbsup:

You can match the outer tire diameter with a 15 or 16" wheel, the main thing I think about with this is cost, you can get 15's a "bleep ton" cheaper then the equivalent tire size in a 16", just saying.

I bought "five" 15x8 Cragar Soft 8 wheels and 33x12.50x15 GoodYear DuraTrac tires for $327 cheaper then I could've bought "four" 285/75/16's.

Midnightrebel07 is correct plus as a shorter sidewall on a 16 will help stability so will a wider 15. But with the size your trying to get there won't be much difference.

As far as rubbing go I guess it all depends on the truck, my mounty has no rubbing at all but those same tires has some rub on lock with my 01 sport with 1.5 TT and shackles. All I have done to the Mountaineer as far as lift goes is add monroe load leveling shocks,but they lifted my rear a full 2". I am going to do a TT to level the truck when I have the time The width of a 265 is 10.5 in and the 255 is 10.2 in

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the 16 inch is what I'm after. I think it'll be firmer and more stable if I'm hauling a trailer. I'm happy with the 16's I now have, and tire price is secondary really.

Thanks again for your help!

Back