Who is happy with their Ebay one piece headlight replacements? Need some fast | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who is happy with their Ebay one piece headlight replacements? Need some fast

Bigham

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I hit a deer and destroyed my right headlight so I want to take this opportunity to replace the headlights with a one piece that is brigther than stock.

I spent half the morning looking at posts to decide what I want, but I am no closer to a decision.

Who has purchased a replacement from ebay, what model and how happy are you with the part?

i am lookin for something that is affordable and drop in- dont want to spend time making modifications, and it must be much brighter then stock.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anybody?

any update on the installation yet?

Cool. i am driving around with one headlight and two foglights only. I a mon pins and needles!

Anyone try the Spyder brand projectors?

I'm interested in the Spyder brand housings as well.

The Ebay headlight housings; What is the difference between the Spyder brand?

I had bought euro SPEC-D headlight housings with the black background for the signals, they looked better than factory, but the headlights performed worse, so I returned them.
The SPEC-D headlight reflectors did not perform good at all, they spread the light too wide in all directions, therefore looking forward, the light output was reduced, even less than the factory setup with blotchy (like a checker board) of light output.

Anyone try the Spyder brand projectors?

There is a member on here that works for Spyder. Let me find his profile and I'll link it here.

EDIT: Sport5sp4x4 might be able to get you any info you're looking for about the Spyder lights.

There is a member on here that works for Spyder. Let me find his profile and I'll link it here.

EDIT: Sport5sp4x4 might be able to get you any info you're looking for about the Spyder lights.

I sent Sport5sp4x4 a PM about the lights.

I have simple demands- lights that are easy to install - plug and play with much higher light output so I can see at night!

So far the only videos I found are people showing off how good the angel eyes look at night, but no good shots of before/after and improved light pattern on the road.

I have gone from stock to the one piece headlights and I now have home made/retro fit morimoto projectors. The retro fit wins hands down. if you want to be able to see at night, I highly recommend them. Here is the info:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342516

The hardest/scariest part is baking the headlights to get the glass off.

I installed the headlights over the weekend. Here is a sneak peak of what they look like:

P1040136.jpg

And here is a link to the album that I am keeping the pictures in:

Headlight pictures

Stay tuned for the comparative pics to the stock lights. They are better! I need to fine tune the alignment before I take the pics though.

Be patient, I will finish this at some point ;)

I have been looking to get a set of these as well. Did you get the kit with the ballests as well? I like the look for sure

I got these for $60 on EBAY. They were returned units. One of the low beam CCFL's was out and there was a bit of dammage to a couple of the sockets for the turn signals.

The CCFL's use a ballast to light up. Both headlights came with a single ballest that runs the pair of CCFL's on the headlight for that side. I just hooked up the "angle eyes" around the high beams only so they don't look out of ballance.

I got these for $60 on EBAY. They were returned units. One of the low beam CCFL's was out and there was a bit of dammage to a couple of the sockets for the turn signals.

The CCFL's use a ballast to light up. Both headlights came with a single ballest that runs the pair of CCFL's on the headlight for that side. I just hooked up the "angle eyes" around the high beams only so they don't look out of ballance.

We're they easy to install? We're they plug and play?

There is a small ammount of wiring to hook up the LED's, the ballast for the CCFL's and upper corner marker light. Basically you need to wire them to each other and then slplice them in to the factory wire harness for the corner light. Pretty simple stuff if you know enough about electronics to read a volt meter to tell which lead is positive on the factory wiring and you can do crimp connectors. If not then invite a friend over for lunch and have him wire it for you.

Mechanically you pull out the turn signal assembly and then completly remove the headlight. You will need to take the adjuster screws out also. Then you re-install the new lights as if they were the turn signal lights. Pretty simple in my mind.

I think the headlight connections are pre-wired so you just plug the connector in to the existing factory wiring. I am not 100% sure on this though. I may have bought a headlight receptical connector and wired it on to the headlight.

Thank you for the responce. Think its time to start saving for these.

Are they quality units? I am trying to decide on these or Anzo units in the projector model.

They seem to be of simmilar quality to the other aftermarket units that I have seen at shows and such. Honestly I think that they are all coming from the same OEM, just with different features like the CCFL rings instead of the LED lit rings.

In short, they are not Ford OEM quality construction, but pretty close. The beam pattern is much better than our factory headlights, not quite as good as a factory projector. They do have a bit of scatter over the cutoff line, but the cutoff lie is very well defined. They are definatly better illumination on low and high beam than our factory headlights. I will probably do a fine tune to the headlight adjustments tonight and take some pictures of the illumination. Then post them up tomorrow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The lens on the projectors aren't blue tinted like most aftermarket projectors, are they?

Back