• Register Today It's free!

Fan Behind Steering Wheel

doloskeeter

Reaction score
City, State
Mesquite, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
I posted yesterday about a buzzing sound; sounds like interference. Someone suggested it was the fan behind the steering wheel, just to the right. There is a small vent there.

Sure enough, this is making the noise and it's getting louder. This person also suggested it is a MFT issue (which has me concerned I'm stuck with this loud noise).

If this is truly MFT issue, please let me know and I'll post to the other board. This stinks, the car has 1,457 miles on it and there is no way I am going to be able to live with this noise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I posted yesterday about a buzzing sound; sounds like interference. Someone suggested it was the fan behind the steering wheel, just to the right. There is a small vent there.

Sure enough, this is making the noise and it's getting louder. This person also suggested it is a MFT issue (which has me concerned I'm stuck with this loud noise).

If this is truly MFT issue, please let me know and I'll post to the other board. This stinks, the car has 1,457 miles on it and there is no way I am going to be able to live with this noise.
Welcome to the Forum doloskeeter.:wavey:
I'm not aware of any fan behind the steering wheel. I believe that 'vent' you are referring to is the opening that is used for the cabin temperature reading.
I doubt that it is an MFT issue. The one good thing about the noise getting louder is that it should make it easier to isolate.
I'm assuming you have the version 3.2.2 which has now been replaced with V3.5.1. If you have navigation, you will also require the new A4 SD card and it is a dealer install. Looks like you may be able to book a single appointment to have both issues taken care of.

Peter

Do you have the heated and cooled seats and are they on when you hear the noise? The heated and cooled seats on the premium seating package use peltier heaters/coolers which use a fan.

Nevermind - saw in the other thread you eliminated that.

Welcome to the Forum doloskeeter.:wavey:
I'm not aware of any fan behind the steering wheel. I believe that 'vent' you are referring to is the opening that is used for the cabin temperature reading.
I doubt that it is an MFT issue. The one good thing about the noise getting louder is that it should make it easier to isolate.
I'm assuming you have the version 3.2.2 which has now been replaced with V3.5.1. If you have navigation, you will also require the new A4 SD card and it is a dealer install. Looks like you may be able to book a single appointment to have both issues taken care of.

Peter

there is definitely a fan behind there. you can shine a light in through vent and see it. turn ignition on and it begins spinning. you can also feel an ever so slight breeze coming out of it. you can put the palm of your hand over the vent and it quiets the noise considerably.

also, i stated on other thread that we had an explorer without MFT and did not hear it. that is not true, our first truck had MFT, but not voice activated navigation. we did not notice the noise. the new one does have VAN and it is audible.

so there are two possible things here. one is all models have this fan and our first one was fine and new one is noisy. or, this fan is added with VAN and is noisy period. would like to know.

also, you can see some type of thermistor in there as well. maybe the fan is present on all models to blow air across thermistor for get a good average read of inside temperature. or the thermistor could be safety to shut off a device if the fan is blowing hotter than average air.

Only vehicles with automatic climate control will have this. It is what senses the temperature and sends the signal to the climate control module to adjust temp accordingly

well in that case both the explorers we had, had climate control. one was silent and our current is noisy. not noisy, but audible when everything is quiet

I took it to the dealer today. I put a report up under the thread Buzzing Sound.

Do you have the heated and cooled seats and are they on when you hear the noise? The heated and cooled seats on the premium seating package use peltier heaters/coolers which use a fan.

Nevermind - saw in the other thread you eliminated that.

Great minds think alike :)

edub, I have the same issue. When inside the vehicle and sitting still I can hear a noise from that small vent. I previously had an 2011 Explorer Limited and it was silent. I've been dealing with it. I don't feel like having my dash pulled apart and possibly creating a new noise. It's bad enough I'm dealing with my passenger seat that rattles when no one is in it.

edub, I have the same issue. When inside the vehicle and sitting still I can hear a noise from that small vent. I previously had an 2011 Explorer Limited and it was silent. I've been dealing with it. I don't feel like having my dash pulled apart and possibly creating a new noise. It's bad enough I'm dealing with my passenger seat that rattles when no one is in it.

thats what i was thinking when the op said he took it in for service. the absolute last thing i want is my dash ripped apart. it is virtually inaudible at all times unless sitting in cabin and no radio or talking

I had the samd buzzing sound, but my sound was coming from using a cell phone charger. Check that also, it can cause that buzzing sound.

Back