2008 Explorer interior lights turn on unexpectedly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Explorer interior lights turn on unexpectedly

lchase6

Reaction score
City, State
Naples, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I have a 2008 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition and the interior lights turn on on their own. I could be driving down the road (doesn't matter the speed) and my interior lights come on. Does anyone else have this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my 2008 explorer xlt started doing this. I took it to the dealer and they were unable to find anything wrong. because it's an intermittent problem.

Interior lights go out unexpectedly

I took my Ford in and they replaced the ignition. They said that the wires were loose or something like that, causing the vehicle to think the keys weren't in the ignition. So take yours in and let them know it is repairable!

Good luck!

Wiggle the ignition around and see if you can get it to do it. If the ignition wears it can cause intermittent contact of the ignition switch and turn on the light. Heavy keychains can make it happen a lot.

My 2008 Eddie Bowser Does it occasionally. :thumbdwn:

The problem is the ignition cylinder. Symptoms are unexpected seat movement and interior light concerns. Ford has a special service message about this.

Dealer replaced a switch attached to the ignition. No more random dome light or unwanted seat movement.

dealer replaced the ignition cylinder on my explorer. yesterday. so far no problems with the dome lights coming on whenever they like.

was it free or did you pay
I am out or warrenty on my 08

My 2008 explorer does this too. Which one fixes it, the ignition cylinder change or the switch attached to the ignition? Any part numbers?

My 2008 explorer does this too. Which one fixes it, the ignition cylinder change or the switch attached to the ignition? Any part numbers?

do you have, memory seats? if so, normally its the cylinder.

Yep, I have memory seats. I guess I'll be ordering a ignition cylinder soon. Still looking for a ford part number. Thx

I have asimilar problem but probably not related. My interior lights come on whenever the transmission is put into reverse, so when it is dark outside you can't see anything while you try to backup. I can't believe this is factory design, but I am also not sure the ignition switch is the cause.

Dome light comes on while driving

I know that this post is late but maybe someone trying to find a solution to this same problem will save some time and money.

It is the ignition cylinder but I didn't replace mine. I removed it, placed a small washer inside the cylinder hole, which essentially made the cylinder a fraction of an inch longer, and reinserted the cylinder. It fit perfect, a little tighter and the problem went away.

Removing the cylinder is easy. If you dont know how, search YouTube. There are plenty of videos.

Not too late at all. I change the switch late last year and it didn't fix it. I'l try your fix soon. Thx Fiddler50

Ghost in the DOME LIGHT

I have the same problem, without memory seats. I have found that it is caused by simple dirt in the door latch. To cure the problem for a while, simply flush the door latch with WD40. Use the long red extension and stick it inside the door latch and spray. The pressure will clean the switch of road dirt and dust. You need to do all 6 latches that have a sensor for the dome light. Sorry for just seeing your post, but I hope it helps. I live in a mountain area and need to clean mine about every 90 days. I had a Lincoln Navigator with the same problem along with the memory seats. Same cure. You may also remove the door panel and clean them as well. If you do this, wrap the whole thing in a plastic sandwich bag to protect it and it will last a year or more. Good Luck

Rodger

I just had this issue too. 59000k miles. I replaced the Ignition switch,not cylinder and it fixed the issue right away

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lights flash on, seat moves back...

My 2007 explorer limited takes this one step further - the drivers power seat moves back unexpectedly. I'm almost certain this is an ignition problem, as some other posts suggest as I have wiggled the key when seated in the ignition which triggers the symptom. Does anyone know if there is a safety recall for this issue? it's particularly frightening when a shorter person is driving and in the process of stopping, which can pull the foot off the brake pedal. Scary since this is my 5'1" wife's daily driver.

Back