• Register Today It's free!

4.0 swap done!

93 x

Reaction score
City, State
bothell washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt
So i have a 86 ranger 2.9 5 speed. The donor car was a 91 ranger auto 4.0 that was stolen and smashed a wall and broke an axle. The motor was redone 40k ago so i just replaced the valve cover gaskets rear and front seal and oil pan. New 4.0 clutch and flywheel with the fm145 ( I know but i just daily drive it never beat it up). New 5 speed starter. wiring was pretty simple since i have access to wiring diagrams and a ford pin out book (greatest thing ever made!!). It took a weekend of 17 hour days. It runs amazingly awesome!! After all that my voltage regulator went out. Then my heater core blew out 5 mins into my test drive. Replaced that. After everything was said and done I just love the thing. I have never felt so awesome about this truck! While i was at it replaced the leafs with lift leafs (got rid of the blocks). Also while i was pulling my drive line i leaned against my rear tire and it moved out about 4 inches so i pulled it out and found out one of my clutch's blew up and let the c clip pop out (luckly i have disk brakes and my caliper was holding it in) so i rebuilt that again. but all in all i have power and no more axle wrap so im happy as can be!! I will be posting pictures in just a second.:rangergreen:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good work man, keeping those old trucks going. It must move pretty good with a 4.0 in it.

Here are some pictures!

I will add pictures of the motor today.

20121107_132124.jpg

20121103_184352.jpg

20121103_004215.jpg

20121103_004153.jpg

20121102_210542.jpg

Sweet Ranger man , Keep up the good Work and looking forward to more pics !

I agree with all the comments...it is indeed great to see old rigs continue to run, and run well!

neww.jpg

20121110_135351.jpg

20121110_135400.jpg

20121110_135411.jpg

20121110_135429.jpg

Thanks every one if you have any questions let me know!:thumbsup:

Cool, that looks like a very fun rig!!!

Interesting way to hook up your rear shocks...is there are reason why?

Cool, that looks like a very fun rig!!!

Interesting way to hook up your rear shocks...is there are reason why?

They actually came like that im not to sure i was thinling for max flex (it does flex awesome)

Needs moar 5.0

just kidding. good job, I had an old 2.9 ranger many years ago. That's a heck of an improvement.

Needs moar 5.0

just kidding. good job, I had an old 2.9 ranger many years ago. That's a heck of an improvement.

I thought about a 5.0 but im very familiar with the 4.0 but concidering my 2.9 had 275,000 and a cracked head its a major improvment, i can actually go up hills! Haha

Well A little up date is due I think. After 150 miles its doing great I may have A little oil leak, I still smell burning oil. I think I need some shims for my rear diff I kinda have A vibration (my old blocks had a built in shim and my driveshaft guy when he built it told me i may have to do that) but overall no more spring wrap and I can spin my tires:thumbsup:! Also I am getting better fuel mileage, almost double but I dont have an exact number just yet.

Awesome

A lightweight truck with extra HP's a good combo.

Well i finally figured out my death wobble problem. My track bar mount became loose so i tightened up everything and it works like a charm! With everything ive done its like a whole new truck, now all i need is swaybars and some quick disconnects and ill be set to go!

Nope... I'm a Canuck dude.

63.7500° N, 68.5500° W

Nice work and I love the color scheme! Your rear shackles look a little thin.

Back