Explorer Sport or BMW X5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Sport or BMW X5

Hawk4404

Reaction score
Hey there. I am new to this forum and need your help.

I am 24 hours away from having to make a decision between a 2013 Explorer Sport or a new 2013 BMW X5.

Explorer is loaded. X5 has everything Sport does except 3rd row, 2nd row buckets, cooled seats and tow hitch.

X5 is about $10K more. I'm getting a really great deal and BMW is giving me quite a bit more on my trade in (2009 Yukon Denali).

I really like both cars equally. Can you all help with your un-biased opinions on your Explorers and how they might compare to the X5? Is the X5 worth the extra $10k? How about long term quality?

Thanks so much!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had an X5 (prior generation) a few cars before the Explorer. It's not fair to compare the two as they are totally different vehicles. It boils down to what do you value the most? If its fit, finish, customer service, and a solid vehicle, the X5 is the right choice. If you are willing to let go some of the above to achieve some bang for your buck, then the Explorer will get you some extra toys the X5 probably doesn't have at the $53k price point. But, they come at a price. The Explorer's fit and finish is just ok, the doors sound like tin when you close them, dealer service is hit or miss, and don't get me started with MyFord Touch.

Let me throw a curve to your plans :D

Have you driven the Grand Cherokee Overland Summit? If you haven't, do yourself a favor and go drive one RIGHT NOW. Our two cars are the X and JGC. The GC gets you a ton of the fit, finish, and amazingly solid vehicle characteristics of the X5 and Mercedes-Benz ML for $45k. If I had to do it all over again we would be driving two GCs!

Thanks baxterdown. I have not looked at the Jeep. I'm assuming it gets worse mpg's than the X5 and the Sport?

I realize they are 2 totally different cars but the Sport, I think, closes that gap. You went from an X5 to an explorer? Why? Good choice, or no?

Hey there. I am new to this forum and need your help.

I am 24 hours away from having to make a decision between a 2013 Explorer Sport or a new 2013 BMW X5.

Explorer is loaded. X5 has everything Sport does except 3rd row, 2nd row buckets, cooled seats and tow hitch.

X5 is about $10K more. I'm getting a really great deal and BMW is giving me quite a bit more on my trade in (2009 Yukon Denali).

I really like both cars equally. Can you all help with your un-biased opinions on your Explorers and how they might compare to the X5? Is the X5 worth the extra $10k? How about long term quality?

Thanks so much!
Why not go with the Limited? It has a few more options than the Sport and likely the X5 as well and will run on regular gas. The Sport will as well but if you want the optimum performance that the engine can deliver you will need to use premium as I'm assuming the X5 does as well.
My 2011 has been an excellent vehicle and virtually trouble free.

Peter

I looked at the X5 and ordered a Sport...Grin factor won out easily

Thanks baxterdown. I have not looked at the Jeep. I'm assuming it gets worse mpg's than the X5 and the Sport?

I realize they are 2 totally different cars but the Sport, I think, closes that gap. You went from an X5 to an explorer? Why? Good choice, or no?

I'm not sure about MPG, to me MPG is a non-issue withing a vehicle category. If you're buying a six cylinder SUV, who cares if one gets "12 MPG" and the other "19 MPG." All those ratings are averages tested under very subjective conditions. In everyday driving, it's all the same and at the end of the year you're withing a couple hundred dollars difference.

I went from the X5 to a Mercedes ML 350. From there I went to a Ford Flex and then to the Explorer. I'm a technofreak and at the time no car had better technology (first generation Sync) than the Flex. I regret the day I got rid of the Flex and got the Explorer. MyFord Touch has made living with this car unbearable.

Go drive the Grand Cherokee. But make sure it's the Overland or the Summit. It's gonna blow you away.

I have heard many conflicting reports/ reviews on My Ford Touch. Why has it made living with your Explorer unbearable?

I'm not sure about MPG, to me MPG is a non-issue withing a vehicle category. If you're buying a six cylinder SUV, who cares if one gets "12 MPG" and the other "19 MPG." All those ratings are averages tested under very subjective conditions. In everyday driving, it's all the same and at the end of the year you're withing a couple hundred dollars difference.

I went from the X5 to a Mercedes ML 350. From there I went to a Ford Flex and then to the Explorer. I'm a technofreak and at the time no car had better technology (first generation Sync) than the Flex. I regret the day I got rid of the Flex and got the Explorer. MyFord Touch has made living with this car unbearable.

Go drive the Grand Cherokee. But make sure it's the Overland or the Summit. It's gonna blow you away.
really? really? I hated the Grand Cherokee drove the Overland Summit as my friend has it and likes his, so I looked at one. Rode like crap do not believer the hype it drives like an ML I own one and it is not even close. I quickly eliminated it and the Durango as over rated. The V8 could felt about the same as my Enclave as far as performance goes.
Honestly the X5 is a nice car I was strongly looking at the diesel but the performance od the TT's won out.

really? really? I hated the Grand Cherokee drove the Overland Summit as my friend has it and likes his, so I looked at one. Rode like crap do not believer the hype it drives like an ML I own one and it is not even close. I quickly eliminated it and the Durango as over rated. The V8 could felt about the same as my Enclave as far as performance goes.
Honestly the X5 is a nice car I was strongly looking at the diesel but the performance od the TT's won out.

My son bought a '09 pre owned Mercedes CPO GL 450. Very nice. Has 3rd row and most other options. Repairs are hi dollar when needed. I guess it was about the same price as a new Explorer. Much better than an ML.

X5 Diesel w/ Sport option. Hands down.

Love everything but the $65K price tag.

The Explorer is a fat girl in a tight dress, by comparison. It's OK, but you can do better....

My son bought a '09 pre owned Mercedes CPO GL 450. Very nice. Has 3rd row and most other options. Repairs are hi dollar when needed. I guess it was about the same price as a new Explorer. Much better than an ML.
I Liked the GL it was too big for my wife to drive or I would have bought one

it may not matter ot you - but what about resale? I would like to think the explorer would be able to hold its value pretty good (especially since we are about to buy one), but the BMW should win in that category hands down.

^ Although resale is important, total cost of ownership is something else to consider. I'm thinking specifically of maintenance and repairs. If those costs are too expensive, they will eat into what advantage you have in resale value. Just another consideration :)

^ Although resale is important, total cost of ownership is something else to consider. I'm thinking specifically of maintenance and repairs. If those costs are too expensive, they will eat into what advantage you have in resale value. Just another consideration :)

This was part of the reason we went with the Ex Sport instead of the X5 35d. Another was the X5 with 3rd row makes for a tight 2nd row and not so good 3rd--just too small to squeeze it in.

Wow-

In that comparison, I'd take a long hard look at resale. The $53k (or whatever) X5 will likely still be a $40,000 vehicle in 3 years. The Explorer will be a $30,000 vehicle in one year. Go out to five years and it will be even worse. I just (two days ago) sold my '01 X5, ~$40k new, for $8500 with 111,000 miles on it. My '11 Explorer, ~$45k, was recently appraised by a dealer at $31k with 15,000 miles in great condition.

But the Sport does have lots of power! :)

If you are going to get an Overland Summit, wait another few months. The 14's come out this spring (only had a limited run of the 13's and will have 18 month run of the 14's). The 14's come with 8" nav and several other new features.

Wow-

In that comparison, I'd take a long hard look at resale. The $53k (or whatever) X5 will likely still be a $40,000 vehicle in 3 years. The Explorer will be a $30,000 vehicle in one year. Go out to five years and it will be even worse. I just (two days ago) sold my '01 X5, ~$40k new, for $8500 with 111,000 miles on it. My '11 Explorer, ~$45k, was recently appraised by a dealer at $31k with 15,000 miles in great condition.

But the Sport does have lots of power! :)

By that logic, my wife's old Mazda Protege 5 was a better purchase. New in Nov '01 (MY2002) for $19,5 with tax, totaled in October 2012 with 165,000 miles and insurance offered $5,600 for it. Today a 3 year old X5 3.0 (MY2010) is around 36k per Black Book.

This is what I've been considering, and still swayed towards the X5, for one the 6t is easily modded and get's great mileage (already a little better than the regular Explorer) and performance with that 8 speed auto. And it has that awesome solid sporty feel that's even missing from the 5 series and others that feel numb now, X5 still feels sporty.

However the new gen is going to be coming out so waiting to see what happens with that as there is going to be a big weight loss. And we all saw the performance increase the Cayenne saw when it dropped a ton of weight, the new ones drive waaaaaaay better then the 1st gen.

Also I can't believe you can't get HIDS on the Sport, wtf??! That much money and it's stance as a sport luxury suv and no HIDS? That's insulting lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Based on the 2013 I have, I would buy the X5. Period! I've had two other Explorers, and they were ok, but not this one.........I'm done with Ford...........good luck and best regards Plum

Back