02 rear axle seal problems | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 rear axle seal problems

I have a 2002 EXP, XLT - Axle Code 45- which is the Open 3.55. I have a leak in the rear axle pass (right) side and the same in the front pass (right) side. I've looked up part#. As near as I can tell, the rear should take the MOTORCRAFT BRS-40, but the FRONTS take either the BRS-10 or the BRS-31. Does anyone know what is the exact Part # for the front? Or how I can find out which part# my car takes ? THANKS!

I have a 2002 EXP, XLT - Axle Code 45- which is the Open 3.55. I have a leak in the rear axle pass (right) side and the same in the front pass (right) side. I've looked up part#. As near as I can tell, the rear should take the MOTORCRAFT BRS-40, but the FRONTS take either the BRS-10 or the BRS-31. Does anyone know what is the exact Part # for the front? Or how I can find out which part# my car takes ? THANKS!

Haven't seen you around in a while. I hope all is well.

If you go to www.fordpartsgiant.com an enter your VIN it will only list parts for your Ex.

Choose:

• Group - Chassis
  • Sub Group - Rear Axle Components or Front Axle Components

If you click on the blue button marked "Get Info" you will get an exploded diagram.

Hope this helps out. Good to see you back!! :salute:

My 2003 Mounty is leaking on one side axle seal. I had gotten an email from a local Ford dealer running a Black Friday special of 50% off labor on any service ticket written this morning from 0700-1000. I was there at 0715 to have both axle seals replaced. The service writer called about two hours later to inform me the cost would be 805.00 plus parts. The truck is sitting in the garage dripping as we speak. Everyone else has mentioned 350.00'ish for this job, so I told them no. I'll get another estimate on another day, or do it myself. Another thread mentioned getting a Lisle seal installer, but the one mentioned is discontinued for some time now. Any special tools needed to do this repair, or can I get by with sockets, etc? I may be standing my ground and doing the work myself. Any idea on the going rate to have this performed a a dealer?

Thanks!

I just did mine this weekend, it's not really dripping but the area is moist compared to the left side which is very dry. Since I'm checking (or intend to replace) my wheel bearings I decided to just buy the new seal design from NAPA ($30 - SKF) vs the dealer ($42)

I was thinking it's a quick job but it wasn't, popping the axle out with a 2x2 wood is easy but putting it in with a new circlip is a major task. It requires patience and strategy to tug it in. The NAPA circlip is somehow elongated that pushing the CV axle in is impossible, it has to be compressed a little bit. If you ever encounter this issue don't ever try to hammer the cv joint or do it by force. Just play with the circlip and it should go in.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

Back