• Register Today It's free!

what year motors can i use

double_u_4

Reaction score
City, State
romeoville,il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
i have a 2000 4.0 SOHC. i need to replace the motor. what years can i get a motor from. ive heard i can use only 99-00, but ive also heard 98 & 97 will also work. is there anything different in the 97-98 years that i would need to switch over.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

earlier motors are more prone to chain failure. you can use a 97 and up motor, you will need to change your upper intake, and the sensors from what i remember. some guys are even using the mustang SOHC's

is there a difference between the the OHV & SOHC. i know 1s pushrod & 1 has the overhead cams. but like performance, gas, is 1 better than the other. is the t OHV prone to the timing chain failure like the SOHC. is the OHV a good engine or is the SOHC a better 1. im not looking for sporty & power im just curious which is better for daily driving & easier to maintain. because for about the same price i can either replace the SOHC in my car or get a whole truck with a OHV & swap my trans to it. any tips & advice would be great, thanxx

Between an OHV and SOHC, I'd take the OHV due to the timing chain/guide issues with the SOHC.

so the OHV doesnt have the bad timing issues like the the SOHC. also will the trans from the SOHC bolt up to the OHV

I've not heard of any timing related issues with the OHV. When it comes to explorers in general, my 1st preference would be the 5.0 V8. The gas mileage isnt that much difference, but the dependability is better than the SOHC. The 5.0 is a bit difficult to find in the explorers, but many of the mountaineers came with it.

so i have been having no luck getting a motor. i did find an 01 that was pretty good. but some1 said it wouldnt work. i know just like the 97-98 there were some things that neeeds to be switched over, but what has to be switched with an 01.

I've not heard of any timing related issues with the OHV. When it comes to explorers in general, my 1st preference would be the 5.0 V8. The gas mileage isnt that much difference, but the dependability is better than the SOHC. The 5.0 is a bit difficult to find in the explorers, but many of the mountaineers came with it.

The OHV is a pushrod engine, it doesn't have timing chains.

The 5.0L difficult to find? Must just be your area, they are literally a dime a dozen around here, just as plentiful as the V6's. Its a challenge to find an 97-00 Explorer XLT around here with the OHV V6, usually the only time you find the OHV V6 is in a Sport. The SOHC V6 and 5.0L are all over the place around here.

so i have been having no luck getting a motor. i did find an 01 that was pretty good. but some1 said it wouldnt work. i know just like the 97-98 there were some things that neeeds to be switched over, but what has to be switched with an 01.

99-01 have a few different things on the intake manifold, like sensors and **** like that. you would be able to swap everything over. i dont think there is anything different with the 01's than there is the 99 and 00.

is there a difference between the the OHV & SOHC. i know 1s pushrod & 1 has the overhead cams. but like performance, gas, is 1 better than the other. is the t OHV prone to the timing chain failure like the SOHC. is the OHV a good engine or is the SOHC a better 1. im not looking for sporty & power im just curious which is better for daily driving & easier to maintain. because for about the same price i can either replace the SOHC in my car or get a whole truck with a OHV & swap my trans to it. any tips & advice would be great, thanxx

Performance & best MPG = SOHC
Overall reliability: OHV

I love the SOHC V6, but every one of them I've had always has the timing chain rattle. My 97 I have now has the rear bank chain going. Explorers in general are extremely reliable, the SOHC usually doesn't see issues besides the timing chains and intake plenum gaskets. The OHV V6 is much easier to work on and doesn't have any big issues besides many of them have poor top end lubrication which eventually makes the valvetrain fail, my 99 OHV's valves tapped like a ***** with 175k. Trannys on all Explorers are junk if you dont take great care of them.

The OHV is a pushrod engine, it doesn't have timing chains.

The 5.0L difficult to find? Must just be your area, they are literally a dime a dozen around here, just as plentiful as the V6's. Its a challenge to find an 97-00 Explorer XLT around here with the OHV V6, usually the only time you find the OHV V6 is in a Sport. The SOHC V6 and 5.0L are all over the place around here.

Just to clarify, the OHV has a single timing chain at the front of the engine behind the water pump. :D

Just to clarify, the OHV has a single timing chain at the front of the engine behind the water pump. :D

I was referring to timing chains as in "overhead cam" engines lol

Back