Truck sounds like a diesel

xhomerjayx

Reaction score
City, State
new york, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt
Hello folks:
here is a conundrum. I started my truck last night (30 degrees in NYC), and she fired up with no problems at all. As i parked the truck, I noticed that it was really loud and sounded like a diesel. This concerns me because I spent about 3 grand to rebuild the engine 1500 miles ago. So, I thought it was weird to hear that noise.

I turned off the truck, and then tried to restart it. Dead battery...oh the hits keep comin. In any case, battery replaced. Truck starts fine.

However, the tick tick tick noise is still with me, I am curious if any of you have experienced something like that and what your thoughts may be.

It's at the shop now, and I told the mechanic that since he rebuilt the engine, its basically his problem. Now, I am sure he will try to get some money from me, but I figure I would ask you guys what your thoughts were in order to haggle with him. My gut feeling was that it was a valve, but there was no power loss in the truck at all. She runs great....its just that damn noise.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the truck is a 4.0l v6. Had the engine rebuilt because the timing chains were going. Was gonna cost me 2000 for just chain replacement. My mechanic told me that the rebuild would be better in the long run.

that is crazy...on a newly rebuilt engine. I think I am going to beat my mechanic with a bat.

UPDATE:
so, it was a timing chain guide. Seems a brand new one that they put in was defective...though I have my suspicions. The mechanic said "did you give us all the guides in the kit you purchased?" I gave them a complete kit, all guides, tensioners and chains included. I think they lost the new guide and put in the old one, but I can't prove it. It was just a very odd question to ask, I believe. This leads me to conclude that they found an old guide that was worn when the looked in the engine. In any case, 300 dollars later my truck runs like new.

yeah...but I supplied the timing chain kit...I bought the kit before I had decided to just do a rebuild so I did not protest the cost.

Been there done that, that's the "bring your own eggs to a restaurant" bit and they loved it. Most of the time that will void/ or no warranty because they didn't purchased the parts but still charged you a arm and leg for labor to make up the extra 30/40% of the parts cost they would've made.:mad: Used to work at a Napa counter years ago and saw huge jobber's discounts flied out the door.:eek:

If I may ask which shop is it in NY? I used to live there for 30+ years and knew a lot of shops on all 5 boros because I was a taxi driver.:D

Back