New Navigation Card? (A4) | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Navigation Card? (A4)

Definitely! Although since I don't have any major crippling issues, I think I'm going to wait until Ford makes a more formal announcement regarding v3.5.1. I don't want to have to beg or hunt a dealer down that's out of my way just to perform an update. Thanks Peter!

You need the latest update to get rid of that bug with the Heated Steering Wheel icon being on when the wheel is not heated. If your dealer wont provide this and you dont have the option of another dealership close by then use the Ford Customer Service resources here on this forum.

Send a PM to Cory , Gina, or Rebecca and they will communicate with the dealer who said no to you.

Sometimes the dealers need a little throat punch to get them to play fair.

Oops that was outside voice again..........sorry.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definitely! Although since I don't have any major crippling issues, I think I'm going to wait until Ford makes a more formal announcement regarding v3.5.1. I don't want to have to beg or hunt a dealer down that's out of my way just to perform an update. Thanks Peter!
I've had 4 updates done now and have never received a formal notice from Ford that an update is available. This Forum has been my source of information.
Good luck and welcome to the Forum, by the way.:wavey:

Peter

I've had 4 updates done now and have never received a formal notice from Ford that an update is available. This Forum has been my source of information.
Good luck and welcome to the Forum, by the way.:wavey:

Peter

Me as well. Outside of the people here, I'm very unimpressed with Ford communication. :thumbdwn:

Took delivery of my Sport on Thursday and have had issues with navi showing me 100 yards to the right or left (putting me on the wrong streets in many cases). There are also some map issues with street changes that are several years old. Talked to my sales guy the day I got it and asked if the A3 was the most updated card. He said it was.

Called the dealer today and mentioned this thread. Parts said they have plenty of A4 cards on hand. Made an appt for Monday to get it installed, so hopefully that takes care of my issue. The sales guy is a good guy, just simply didn't know about it. Thanks for the info guys!

Took delivery of my Sport on Thursday and have had issues with navi showing me 100 yards to the right or left (putting me on the wrong streets in many cases). There are also some map issues with street changes that are several years old. Talked to my sales guy the day I got it and asked if the A3 was the most updated card. He said it was.

Called the dealer today and mentioned this thread. Parts said they have plenty of A4 cards on hand. Made an appt for Monday to get it installed, so hopefully that takes care of my issue. The sales guy is a good guy, just simply didn't know about it. Thanks for the info guys!
Just remember that it isn't just a matter of exchanging the SD cards. To have the A4 card function properly you have to have the V3.5.1 update done as well.
I'm guessing that you have V3.2.2 or V3.0.2.

Peter

Have you aquired GPS?

Took delivery of my Sport on Thursday and have had issues with navi showing me 100 yards to the right or left (putting me on the wrong streets in many cases). ...

This can (will) occur if you have not acquired the GPS signal. Is there a red X over the GPS icon? This means you don't have the signal yet and the system will not be able to accurately locate your position on the maps.

If your vehicle has been in a garage and then drives on roads heavily lined/covered by trees it can take 5+ minutes to acquire GPS.

Just something to check.

I got 3.5.1 installed at the dealer today. This was the second trip for the update since they couldn't install it the first time without a new APIM for some mysterious reason. So today, they replaced the APIM and applied the update. Unfortunately, they also cracked the trim around the MFT screen when taking it off to replace the APIM. Now they've ordered that part, and I'll have to take the car in for a third time to have that replaced. This is the worst update process I've ever seen for any product.

I got 3.5.1 installed at the dealer today. This was the second trip for the update since they couldn't install it the first time without a new APIM for some mysterious reason. So today, they replaced the APIM and applied the update. Unfortunately, they also cracked the trim around the MFT screen when taking it off to replace the APIM. Now they've ordered that part, and I'll have to take the car in for a third time to have that replaced. This is the worst update process I've ever seen for any product.
Unless you were experiencing some problems I'm not sure why they would have to replace the APIM which is essentially the SYNC computer.
Don't forget to update your SMR account with the new version.

Peter

Unless you were experiencing some problems I'm not sure why they would have to replace the APIM which is essentially the SYNC computer.
Don't forget to update your SMR account with the new version.

Yes, that's the big question. I did everything possible to try to get them to update the software without replacing the APIM. I even complained directly to Ford MFT Customer Service. Nothing mattered. The only way I was going to get the update was by letting them replace the APIM. I really think Ford did a disservice to their customers by releasing this update as a TSB instead of a user download.

I ran a Vehicle Health Report after leaving the dealer, which updated the software version on SMR.

If you read some of the info from the TSB the dealer tech must have the APIM programmed and updated first before the new v3.5.1 is installed. I'm guessing in your case the tech didnt do that correctly. That caused an issue with the APIM that required it to be replaced.

If you read some of the info from the TSB the dealer tech must have the APIM programmed and updated first before the new v3.5.1 is installed. I'm guessing in your case the tech didnt do that correctly. That caused an issue with the APIM that required it to be replaced.

I don't see anythng in the TSB that specifically mentions programming the APIM, but I do see that it says FSA 11A01, 11A02 and 11A03 must have already been applied before 3.5.1 can be installed. Is that the programming you're talking about? Would those FSAs still be open on a 2013?

Installing 3.5.1 IS updating the apim, the only requirements are the cooling recalls as listed 11A01-11A03, it's possible that one of this campaigns include an APIM replacement, but it's more likely the dealer misread or misunderstood the TSB, as most seem to have a lack of knowledge when it comes to MFT procedures

Installing 3.5.1 IS updating the apim, the only requirements are the cooling recalls as listed 11A01-11A03, it's possible that one of this campaigns include an APIM replacement, but it's more likely the dealer misread or misunderstood the TSB, as most seem to have a lack of knowledge when it comes to MFT procedures
Thanks for clearing that up. That is what I thought it was. As for having to replace the APIM, I had the 11A02 FSA done on mine and nothing was replaced, just updated.
The cooling fan reprogram was done with the Customer Satisfaction Program 12B36A which involved reprogramming the PCM to randomly run the fans at a high speed to prevent contact corrosion.

Peter

it's more likely the dealer misread or misunderstood the TSB, as most seem to have a lack of knowledge when it comes to MFT procedures

That's why I wish Ford had released this update as user installable instead of a TSB. It would have saved me 3 trips to the dealer, and it would have saved Ford the cost of a new APIM along with the installation labor. I know far more about MFT than my local Ford dealer.

Received a call from my dealer that they have verified that my Ex requires the update. They are ordering the A4 SD card and have set up an appoint for installation of V3.5.1 and card next week.

Peter

Peter- your dealer called you automatically, or did you ask? I'm having sporadic problems with MFT with the audio inputs particularly, and occasionally navigation.

I got my 3.5.1 installed today. I am thinking that this is the one! Nav seemed much more responsive when inputting addresses which was always a sign when slow. I am happy so far, fingers crossed no quirks! ;)

Hi, everyone!

Here are a couple answers to the most popular questions you've all asked:

When will this be available on SYNCMyRide.com? For those of you without NAV, it will be available for download in a couple weeks. Those of you with NAV, you'll be able to download the update and order a new SD card starting in early January. You may also visit your dealer if you don't wish to update your MFT on your own.

What improvements does this new software deliver? This new software update, developed in partnership with Microsoft, delivers on our promise to continuously improve the system based on customer feedback. Software Version 3.5 features improvements, including:
• Simplified Bluetooth® phone pairing: When pairing, the driver simply has to hit “OK” if the PIN on the phone and touch screen match each other
• More natural voice recognition: Drivers can now simply say “Play <name>” when requesting a specific artist, song, album or genre of music (i.e. “Play jazz” versus “Play genre jazz”)
• Improved voice recognition accuracy: The latest version of Nuance’s speech software, VoCon® 3200 v4.2, improves overall voice recognition performance
• Flattened audio command structure: At any time, drivers can say the station frequency, “AM 760,” or the official name of the Sirius station, like “Hits 1,” to tune in; drivers no longer need to say “Radio” or “Sirius” to indicate their desire to listen to those audio sources
• Navigation controls simplified: The destination entry screen has been improved to help make it easier to enter an address.

Please let me know what other questions you may have!

Rebecca

Thank you for the update, the new features are great additions.

I think there is still a large group of iPhone owners who were hoping that text to speech functionality would be in this update because of Apple now supporting MAP. (Message Access Protocol) in the current iOS v6.0.1.

Can you elaborate on where were are on that functionality since it affects such a large percentage of Explorer owners?

Thank you for the update, the new features are great additions.

I think there is still a large group of iPhone owners who were hoping that text to speech functionality would be in this update because of Apple now supporting MAP. (Message Access Protocol) in the current iOS v6.0.1.

Can you elaborate on where were are on that functionality since it affects such a large percentage of Explorer owners?

:) You're welcome!

Our testing shows Apple implemented a non-standardized implementation of Bluetooth MAP on iOS6. As a result, iPhones will not fully work with the text messaging feature. We'll continue to work with Apple to ensure future compatibility.

Rebecca

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It seems to work pretty well for incoming text messages. Outgoing doesn't seem to work though.

Back