Transmission Misbehavin' | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Misbehavin'

bnh1971

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
Greetings,

Had a strange thing happen today with my new Explorer (2013 with 4K Miles). I was pulling out of a sandwich shop and it was really slow to accelerate, almost like it was not in first but a higher gear. Made it to a traffic signal and the same thing happened when the light turned green. Stopped at a bank, cycled the ignition, and it went away...... No warnings on the dash or anything. Ran a vehicle health report after and everything shows good. Has anyone else experienced this?

-Brent

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never had anything like that happen to ours. I would suggest though running the VHR before restarting the car in the hope of capturing the error (if one was recorded). Of course, when your car is freaking out, running a VHR might not be the first thing on your mind :)

Maybe you were in the "manual trans" mode and not in "drive", and was actually in 2nd gear. It will do this. Once you restarted the truck, it defaults back to 1st gear.

Or, you inadvertingly selected another setting in your terraine management dial. Some of those re-map the throttle response (and gearing....like 2nd gear for starts) and the car feels less responsive. The "snow" mode feels this way to minimize wheel spin in deep snow, for example.

Manual Mode

Thanks for the ideas. When I first noticed it I did double check that I was in Drive and not Manual so I'm sure that wasn't the issue. Could of been in some different terrain mode but I'm not sure how I'd accidentally turn that knob.

Greetings,

Had a strange thing happen today with my new Explorer (2013 with 4K Miles). I was pulling out of a sandwich shop and it was really slow to accelerate, almost like it was not in first but a higher gear. Made it to a traffic signal and the same thing happened when the light turned green. Stopped at a bank, cycled the ignition, and it went away...... No warnings on the dash or anything. Ran a vehicle health report after and everything shows good. Has anyone else experienced this?

-Brent

Thanks for the ideas. When I first noticed it I did double check that I was in Drive and not Manual so I'm sure that wasn't the issue. Could of been in some different terrain mode but I'm not sure how I'd accidentally turn that knob.

Have you contacted your dealer about this? If not, I would give them a call and have them take a peek at it. BTW, where's my sandwich?? Hehe! No but seriously, contact me if it continues. I will be happy to help.

Thanks,
Gina

We had a very similar thing happen to our 2010 Taurus. The dealer ended up changing out some part (it was still under warranty) and it's not done it again.

I just had the trans moment while driving my wife's Explorer. I was coasting for a traffic light which changed before my arrival. As I got back on the gas to accelerate there seemed to be reduced power / no power and then the trans slammed into gear so hard you'd swear you got rear ended. It's going back to the dealer for another try at fixing a nagging water leak, so I guess this will get added to the list. Sigh.......

I just had the trans moment while driving my wife's Explorer. I was coasting for a traffic light which changed before my arrival. As I got back on the gas to accelerate there seemed to be reduced power / no power and then the trans slammed into gear so hard you'd swear you got rear ended. It's going back to the dealer for another try at fixing a nagging water leak, so I guess this will get added to the list. Sigh.......

I had this issue with my 2011 Limited. Search my old posts. I wrote up the parts and info from my TSB repair done back in March/April, IIRC. Not a single problem since, and an additional 20,000 miles later.

I just had the trans moment while driving my wife's Explorer. I was coasting for a traffic light which changed before my arrival. As I got back on the gas to accelerate there seemed to be reduced power / no power and then the trans slammed into gear so hard you'd swear you got rear ended.

Mine did that for 5 months then a transmission software reboot fixed it for 2 months. It is now re-emerging. It totally feels like being rear ended.

Being checked on Monday

Gina,

The issue I saw with the transmission is being checked on Monday along with a few minor warranty issues.

Thanks.

-Brent

Mine did that for 5 months then a transmission software reboot fixed it for 2 months. It is now re-emerging. It totally feels like being rear ended.

I needs more than a reboot, it needs the high pressure line replaced. Read my link above. It lists the parts and TSB #.

I was coasting for a traffic light which changed before my arrival. As I got back on the gas to accelerate there seemed to be reduced power / no power and then the trans slammed into gear so hard you'd swear you got rear ended.

Yep, scares the crap out of you when it happens....I've had this happen a handful of times, however my build date is just outside of the posted TSB so the dealership will do nothing about it. Also, they can not "duplicate" the problem......so it goes unresolved....

I had the same thing happen to me last night with my 2013 (9k miles). At first I thought I had accidentially put it into "M", but realized that I was still seeing the economy indicator on the dash and that I was indeed in D. I pulled over and put it into park then back into drive and everything started behaving as normal.

I'm going to keep an eye on it for now. I have a small list of things that I'm eventually going to go to the dealer with.

So we picked up our Ex today and the trans had TSB 11-12-10 performed which replaced several parts in the trans sending unit replaced. Turns out I need the same thing done in my 2011 Edge Sport now...

So we picked up our Ex today and the trans had TSB 11-12-10 performed which replaced several parts in the trans sending unit replaced. Turns out I need the same thing done in my 2011 Edge Sport now...
It’s great they took care of you, Edgieguy; I’m sure they’ll resolve the other issue too.

...The issue I saw with the transmission is being checked on Monday along with a few minor warranty issues. Thanks.
Were you able to have the transmission checked today, Brent?

...I've had this happen a handful of times, however my build date is just outside of the posted TSB so the dealership will do nothing about it...
cnsheets & gpzrider,

I want to arrange follow-ups from your regional Customer Service Managers. Please PM me with your current mileages.

We had a very similar thing happen to our 2010 Taurus. The dealer ended up changing out some part (it was still under warranty) and it's not done it again.
I had this issue with my 2011 Limited. Search my old posts. I wrote up the parts and info from my TSB repair done back in March/April, IIRC. Not a single problem since, and an additional 20,000 miles later.
BTW, it’s great to see all the positive/helpful posts; thanks, everyone! :D

...I'm going to keep an eye on it for now. I have a small list of things that I'm eventually going to go to the dealer with.
Drop me a line when you decide to have it checked out and I’ll be happy to lend a hand by escalating it up to the CSM for your area. Please be sure to include your contact info (full name, VIN, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and your best day phone number).

Cory

PCM Updated

As expected, no trouble codes were found. They did update the PCM per TSB12-10-10. Since it's only ever happened once in 4K miles, I may never know if it's fixed.

-Brent

Brent,

Has it still behaved since the PCM update? Mine has done this 3-4 more times since, and I'm planning on setting up a dealer appointment next week.

Brent,

Has it still behaved since the PCM update? Mine has done this 3-4 more times since, and I'm planning on setting up a dealer appointment next week.

Hi nnichols,

I'm happy to get this escalated into the hands of your regional customer service manager. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get to work!

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update

It has not happened again since the PCM update was made. Of course, it took 3 1/2 months to happen the one time....... it'll be a long time before I can declare it fixed.

-Brent

Back