Alternative Sound Deadening. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alternative Sound Deadening.

The Grace Ice and Water shield referred to in that test is very thin compared to the peel and seal. It is also butyl based, and it doesn't adhere nearly as well as Peel and seal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just finished doing the floors and rear cargo area in my Third gen. This stuff is great. It's easy to cut and sticks great. Make sure its warm out at least above 60. It will make the install so much easier. You can use a heat gun but unless you warm the panels and the peel n seal it will be difficult to apply product effectively and efficiently. I placed a portable home heater in the vehicle. Make sure you let the panels and not just the air get warm. A great way I found to make nice clean holes were to place the heat gun tip right on the pad. It melted a perfect circle and came right up.
As for sound proofing, this stuff worked great. I have yet to do 5 doors and roof and the difference is amazing. I used 4 rolls at 16.50 per roll. It's a great investment. I have yet to smell any tar or asphalt smell as some have said but the temp is in the 50 degree range.

I use a foil backed butyl window wrap. Its about as thick as original Dynamat. It sticks like crazy. It comes in a roll 6 inches wide by 200 ft for $20. I can't hear any difference in it & the dynamat in my doors. I use 2 layers. I have my Ranger covered everywhere but the roof. Its been through 2 summers & has not turned loose. It has no odor. I put cascade deadener as a undercoat to the cab last week. It cut lots of road noise. I need new weather strips to stop all my noise. The last owner tore it trying to pick the lock with a coat hanger. It should be real quiet when I fix them. It has no rattles now with my system hitting 138 DB.

I use a foil backed butyl window wrap. Its about as thick as original Dynamat. It sticks like crazy. It comes in a roll 6 inches wide by 200 ft for $20. I can't hear any difference in it & the dynamat in my doors. I use 2 layers. I have my Ranger covered everywhere but the roof. Its been through 2 summers & has not turned loose. It has no odor. I put cascade deadener as a undercoat to the cab last week. It cut lots of road noise. I need new weather strips to stop all my noise. The last owner tore it trying to pick the lock with a coat hanger. It should be real quiet when I fix them. It has no rattles now with my system hitting 138 DB.

Whats the name of the product and where can we find it?

Its made by MFM building products corp. Its labeled Window Wrap. I buy it at a local lumber yard. The Company phone number is 1-800-882-7663.

Its made by MFM building products corp. Its labeled Window Wrap. I buy it at a local lumber yard. The Company phone number is 1-800-882-7663.

Ok I just did some quick googling on this product and it's made by the same company that makes Peel an Seal. Also it's ruberized asphalt based and only 25mill thick where the Peel an Seal is 45mill.

I also was unable to fund 6x100 rolls only 4x100.

So I would say that you'd have to use 2 layers for the same affect as Peel an Seal. I'm not sure if the added layer and work would be worth it unless you got a real good deal on it.

Awesome idea, Glad someone finally found something that peal and seal is good for because it is a joke for roofing fixes as far as im concerned. Having said that im probably going to get some and do my expo.

Has anyone done their complete floor with it and firewall up under the dash?, or just doors? I would like to drive down the road and hear no road noise if possible. although i will say with the little bit of noise i get now i can hear if something decides to go wrong

Adding the Peel n Seal (or Dynamat, etc.) alone won't do much- and more isn't always "better". When I worked for Cessna and then at Boeing, they would add something similar to Dynamat to the inside skin of the aircraft to deaden noise but only cover less than 50% of the area between the frames.

Give this site a good read through to help fully understand the overall task of effectively adding sound deadener to your car:
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

And this site also mentions that you don't need to fully cover the area for effective results.

I pay $20 for the 6in by 200ft rolls. It works good. I run 2 layers . I run one side to side & one up & down

Adding the Peel n Seal (or Dynamat, etc.) alone won't do much- and more isn't always "better". When I worked for Cessna and then at Boeing, they would add something similar to Dynamat to the inside skin of the aircraft to deaden noise but only cover less than 50% of the area between the frames.

Give this site a good read through to help fully understand the overall task of effectively adding sound deadener to your car:
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

And this site also mentions that you don't need to fully cover the area for effective results.

Indeed. Ask any luxury manufacturer. With products to add mass to panels like Peel N Seal, they are just there to reduce resonance of a panel, and really, anything more than like 25-30% coverage in the right places, is wasteful, and you get diminishing returns. Multiple layers with full coverage rarely, if at all, will accomplish any more than covering even just 50% of the panels. Plus, the stuff doesn't actually deaden sound that well, just resonance, so it is better to use other products in conjunction to quiet down a vehicle.

I used peel n seal under my drivers seat and the ceiling plus the rear panels, then I sprayed those areas with the rubberized undercoating from Walmart. I haven't covered any of the doors or the back floor or passenger floor and the difference is already night and day. I can hardly hear my tires roar now.

Alright since ya'll keep sayin this doesn't do much could you recommend some other cheap sound deadening products? Such as mass layers and closed sell foam?

I know I've read of some people using house carpet padding but can't seem to find much information on it now.

Not tryin to be a smart ass just curious what ya'll are using.

Considering that the panels came stock with the house carpet padding 3m glued to the back, I'm thinking that it'd be a good idea to try if it could be done cheaply.

I also thought that if you got the carpet padding and sprayed it with rubberized undercoating to make it more rigid that it'd help, but that's just a guess/feeling and could very well be incorrect. I intend on doing this eventually but with the holidays coming up it will probably be a while for me at any price.

Thoughts?

Edit: Sorry, browser error and double-posted.

Just got done doing my whole truck in the Peel and Seal from Lowes. It took 3 1/2 rolls and is well worth it. I did the floor and all 4 doors.
My exhaust used to resonate through my truck and hurt my ears and now I can hardly hear it, only when I really get on the throttle. This is a really great and inexpensive way to deaden your car.
I will say that I didnt have good luck with the little roller mentioned so i used one that I found in the depths of my Grandpas garage.
DSC04433.jpg

DSC04432.jpg

This is the stuff? http://www.lowes.com/pd_154017-8132...catorDisplayView&selectedLocalStoreBeanArray=[com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%402bfc2bfc%2C+com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%402d022d02%2C+com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%402e082e08%2C+com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%402f0e2f0e%2C+com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%4030143014]&UserSearch=peel+and+seal&Ntt=peel+and+seal&URL=TopCategoriesDisplayView&mastheadURL=TopCategoriesDisplayView&rpp=32

This is the stuff? http://www.lowes.com/pd_154017-8132...catorDisplayView&selectedLocalStoreBeanArray=[com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%402bfc2bfc%2C+com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%402d022d02%2C+com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%402e082e08%2C+com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%402f0e2f0e%2C+com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%4030143014]&UserSearch=peel+and+seal&Ntt=peel+and+seal&URL=TopCategoriesDisplayView&mastheadURL=TopCategoriesDisplayView&rpp=32

Yeah, that's it.

I think ill give it a try, much cheaper alternative. As long as it makes a noticable difference i cant see how id go wrong

Yeah, like I said a few posts ago, it made a big difference in my truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you do your roof at all?

Back