Adding Navigation Later | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Navigation Later

Hi Ford Engineers,

I'm in UAE and just purchased a 2013 Ford Explorer XLT (2nd Option)

Its having MFT, but i'm wondering there is no yet any ways to add navigation. Are there any updates i have to do?

What is that i can do with apps? i Have seen options to install Apps. What Apps?

How can i make more out of MFT?

Hi, Akram!

Here in the US and Canada, there is no way to add NAV after the vehicle has left the factory. It may be different in UAE. I suggest calling your local Customer Relationship Center at +971 (0) 4 3326084. As far as Apps, that's for SYNC Services, 911 Assist, and Vehicle Health Report. These features are not available outside the US.

Rebecca

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Adding nav after

Not sure why everyone has a different experience when it comes to navs. I just got my wife a 2013 xlt without nav. The dealer is adding it for 1200. Not sure if it is ford or a stereo store but they are using the same screen so you can still use all the features for the car. Also my wife's old Mkz didn't have nav. I bought a factory nav and antenna and threw it in myself. It worked perfect. I get the explorer back Friday after thanksgiving. I will let you know how it turns out.

Not sure why everyone has a different experience when it comes to navs. I just got my wife a 2013 xlt without nav. The dealer is adding it for 1200. Not sure if it is ford or a stereo store but they are using the same screen so you can still use all the features for the car. Also my wife's old Mkz didn't have nav. I bought a factory nav and antenna and threw it in myself. It worked perfect. I get the explorer back Friday after thanksgiving. I will let you know how it turns out.

I believe in order to do this they would have to replace the apim w/ one that is factory enabled for Nav. I suppose this is possible, I never thought about it though. For sure interested in how this works out for you, also a list of parts ordered and installed would be nice when you get done!

Welcome to the Forum Hpozzuoli.:wavey:
As Rebecca of the Ford In Vehicle Technology team has posted several times in this thread, Ford's navigation has to be part of the vehicle build and can not be added after the fact.

QUOTE: Yes, it's a software configuration issue, not hardware. Due to the programming/coding that is required, it doesn't have "off-the-shelf" functionality. One limitation is that the module has some licensing that has to be activated at the time of build.

If we do decide to offer it as an add-on in the future, we will make our customers aware.
UNQUOTE

Peter

Adding nav

I read Rebecca's post. What she said is you can't buy a ford factory nav and toss it in the new vehicles and have it work. I believe what is being done is I am keeping the original non-nav screen to use as a display for an after market nav module minus a screen of its own. The dealer said I would have the ability to go from the nav display to the vehicle systems display with the steering wheel control just as if it had factory nav. This is a much easier way of circumventing the card issue. Like I said earlier I will be able to better describe what was done once I get the truck back on Friday.

I read Rebecca's post. What she said is you can't buy a ford factory nav and toss it in the new vehicles and have it work. I believe what is being done is I am keeping the original non-nav screen to use as a display for an after market nav module minus a screen of its own. The dealer said I would have the ability to go from the nav display to the vehicle systems display with the steering wheel control just as if it had factory nav. This is a much easier way of circumventing the card issue. Like I said earlier I will be able to better describe what was done once I get the truck back on Friday.

Sounds like this http://www.mocar.us/ which is not the navigation that comes with MFT, it's a third party. Your original post was a bit deceiving.

The "ford or stereo store" part of your post led me to think that perhaps they were installing a Ford navigation system. I don't know for sure but doubt Ford sells aftermarket systems.
I and others, I'm sure, would be curious to see how the installed system operates and integrates with the Explorer's controls and if it can be updated like MFT.
Good luck and please keep us updated.

Peter

Adding nav

I stated from the beginning I wasn't sure if it was my dealer or a stereo store doing this work. My dealer was arranging everything. All I know is I am keeping my screen and retaining all the vehicle system function while integrating nav. I did some searching last night and couldn't find what you did. Thanks for sharing. This seems like a great option to mft. My dealer said the mapping is more current than the 4yr old map technology that is used in 2013 vehicles with mft. The back up camera will still work etc. I wonder why this isn't common knowledge thru out the dealer networks.

If its mocar let us know how it works.

I inquired on their website and closest dealer is about 50 miles away and I can't find any info on them. I am extremely hesitant to let them hack on my car without knowing their reputation.

Adding nav later

So I got the truck back. Works, looks, and feels like factory nav. I have the same factory screen etc, but now with nav. I have all the vehicle controls on the one display and with the push of a button I have a full nav display. Nothing had to be cut, modified, or changed. I have a brain under the drivers seat. They use the same antenna I already had on the truck. The best part is the map system. I have super up to date maps. I was told by my dealer ford uses maps that are somewhere in the four year old range. My dealer contracts a local installer to do the work at the dealership. So with this said, I think this is the perfect way to add nav to a truck that didn't come with it from the factory. I think ford dropped the ball when they made it impossible to add a factory nav after purchase. Instead of selling navs they are causing headaches. Like I mentioned in a prior post this whole nav thing must be new. When I bought my wife's Mkz in 2009 it didn't have nav. I bought a factory nav and put it in myself. Worked great. I probably would have done the same for the explorer except the price to have the dealer arrange it was too good to pass up. If I did it on my own I would have probably driven my truck thru the showroom window once I found out you can't just put it in like on the Mkz. Hope my experience helps.

Is it actually factory nav or aftermarket? Based on your post I assume aftermarket.

Either way could you.find out as much info as possible and post it.

Many of us would love to get this.

Is it actually factory nav or aftermarket? Based on your post I assume aftermarket.

Either way could you.find out as much info as possible and post it.

Many of us would love to get this.
It is an aftermarket system. Ford navigation can only be installed at the factory during the vehicle build.
I agree, it does look very interesting. My only concern would be how future updates to the actual MFT might affect it, if at all.

Peter

Adding nav after

Www.igonavigation.com I guess they made a game time decision to use the igo system. It is definety aftermarket but you would never know it didn't come with the car. I am so pleased. I would contact Imperial Ford in Mass which is where I bought the truck from last Sunday. They might be able to give you a little more info. If you have any questions around function or want some pics of the nav display please send me an email . If you have any other questions please send me an email as well. It's hard to be discriptive in this environment.

It sure can be added but it isn't a factory nav unit. It is aftermarket but utilizes your currency LCD touch screen display. You retain all vehicle function as well as having a super up to date nav system. Better than the four year old maps ford gives in a 2013 vehicle. What you will get is a brain made by Igo. I think www.mocar.com offers a similar setup. My dealer did the install and in my opinion it is better than factory. Email me if anyone wants any info. Hpozzuoli@yahoo.com.

Maybe you can just post some photos of it here? I would think many of us are interested to see the system, and might be easier than replying to all of us via email. Just a thought.

I would be happy to show some photos. Please don't mistake me for someone who has a clue how to post pictures to this blog. I can easily send photos via email which is well within my comfort zone. If someone wants to send me an email and tell me how to post the photos to the site I would be more than happy to try otherwise just email me and I will send them that way and if someone else wants to post them I am fine with that. Hpozzuoli@yahoo.com. Imperial ford in mass is where I got the truck and did the install. It was 1200 to have it done. It's awesome. I think it is better than factory since it has more updated maps. Not sure about how to update the maps if I were ever to do that. MFT runs parallel just like factory. You hit the phone button to go from MFT to nav.

I would be happy to show some photos. Please don't mistake me for someone who has a clue how to post pictures to this blog. I can easily send photos via email which is well within my comfort zone. If someone wants to send me an email and tell me how to post the photos to the site I would be more than happy to try otherwise just email me and I will send them that way and if someone else wants to post them I am fine with that. Hpozzuoli@yahoo.com. Imperial ford in mass is where I got the truck and did the install. It was 1200 to have it done. It's awesome. I think it is better than factory since it has more updated maps. Not sure about how to update the maps if I were ever to do that. MFT runs parallel just like factory. You hit the phone button to go from MFT to nav.
There are a couple of threads in the New Members forum that explain 'how to'.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Or better yet, take advantage of the 2 for 1 special that is on today and become an Elite member to help support the Forum and then you can use the tool available to members.

Peter

It sure can be added but it isn't a factory nav unit. It is aftermarket but utilizes your currency LCD touch screen display. You retain all vehicle function as well as having a super up to date nav system. Better than the four year old maps ford gives in a 2013 vehicle. What you will get is a brain made by Igo. I think www.mocar.com offers a similar setup. My dealer did the install and in my opinion it is better than factory. Email me if anyone wants any info. Hpozzuoli@yahoo.com.

I found the mocar.US option, but can you provide a link to your specific system? The mocar option says it's for 2012 - 2013 models.

Did something change between 2011 and 2012 that would make this incompatible??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back