Bad '99 headlight slide switch, will '97 work? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad '99 headlight slide switch, will '97 work?

leoJr

Reaction score
City, State
Denton, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 5.0 auto 2wd
The headlight timer slider switch quit working about a year ago in my wife's '99 XLT. We can turn it off (all the way to the left) or the lights stay on for about 2 minutes no matter where the switch is positioned.

I have a complete mirror assembly from a '97 that is overall bigger than our '99 and has buttons for the mirror dim, etc.

Can I use the slider switch from the '97 to fix the '99 or do I need to buy a slider switch from the dealership?

Many thanks!

Can I use the slider switch from the '97 to fix the '99 or do I need to buy a slider switch from the dealership?

if you are talking about taking the mirror apart, just for the switch, i dont think that will work. on the other hand, you can use the mirror as a whole. it will plug in, and work. on top of that, it will have a automatic dimmer in it if someone is behind you with bright lights on.

The '97 installed almost trouble free. I broke a few small pieces not knowing how to get the black channel the wires run through disconnected but overall it was a direct fit.

The '97 seems huge! But I do like having a button to quickly defeat the headlights without having to move the slider switch, which is what wore it out.

Back