bad mpg around town but fine on hwy | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bad mpg around town but fine on hwy

shadowless127

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 EB AWD 5.0
Lately I've been doing almost 100% around town driving and have been noticing that my mpg's have been around 10-11, but on the highway I get around 18-22mpg depending on speed and grade of the road. Not sure if this is due to a bunch of bad gas mixes due to the fuel shortage from Sandy, or what.

What can I do to improve around town driving because this mileage is a killer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Want better mileage? Don't drive the 5.0 Explorer in the city, no short trips.
Those numbers are normal, I have the exact same vehicle and almost same numbers (maybe 12-13 in city, but your Long Island traffic might be different from my Newport News one).

Lately I've been doing almost 100% around town driving and have been noticing that my mpg's have been around 10-11, but on the highway I get around 18-22mpg depending on speed and grade of the road. Not sure if this is due to a bunch of bad gas mixes due to the fuel shortage from Sandy, or what.

What can I do to improve around town driving because this mileage is a killer.
you might try using StarTron in the gas. Available at Wal-Mart and Kmart out here. find it in the sporting goods section.

all 3 of my trucks (a 4.0 SOHC and two 5.0 V8's) get about 15 city and 22+ highway. sometimes i see 16+ around town, but it depends on traffic, which is pretty light where i live.

Want better mileage? Don't drive the 5.0 Explorer in the city, no short trips.
Those numbers are normal, I have the exact same vehicle and almost same numbers (maybe 12-13 in city, but your Long Island traffic might be different from my Newport News one).

I think I have a few things working against me

1) This is the first 2nd gen I've had with the trip computer.
2) I've been unemployed since the first week of October so I haven't done my commute which is half city half hwy and just tooling around town.
3) With the cold I've been letting the truck warm up/idle more then usual.

I mean I didn't think there was necessarily anything wrong with the vehicle, simply because two weeks ago I went out east right after the hurricane to check on my gf's parents, check on my dad's place, and pick up a friend and I pulled 22mpg on the highway and probably would have kept climbing if I stayed on the highway.

don't just go my your trip computer as far as determining actual mileage. a better way to do it is to fill your tank, reset your trip meter and drive some distance, then refill and do the math. even then you're assuming your trip meter is accurate. if you're letting your truck warm up, it's getting zero miles per gallon until you're moving, so that's certainly going to adversely effect your mpg.

don't just go my your trip computer as far as determining actual mileage. a better way to do it is to fill your tank, reset your trip meter and drive some distance, then refill and do the math. even then you're assuming your trip meter is accurate. if you're letting your truck warm up, it's getting zero miles per gallon until you're moving, so that's certainly going to adversely effect your mpg.

Yeah that I know. I filled up yesterday and reset the manual counter and so far it's looking like the message center is in the ballpark.

I drive about 95% city and get 13.5mpg average. And I drive very conservatively. I found that the digital display is very accurate. I live in Colorado Springs, so you usually have your foot on the accelerator or the brake because there isn't a flat road to be found. Considering where I live, I guess 13.5 isn't bad for a 5.0 truck.

10-11mpg in stop and go city isn't surprising. That pig sucks a lot of gas just idling. I've noticed that right after I reset the mpg meter, and come to a stop at a redlight, I can watch the average mpg drop like a rock just waiting for the light.

I don't know how people are doing 22 on the highway. These vehicles weren't rated for that, new out of the factory. The best I do with mine is 17 and the city is 12 or so.

96 XLT Control Track, 4.0 OHV, automatic, 3.73 gears, 235/75/R15. Runs around 18.5-22 MPG. It is 7 miles into the nearest town, so speed is 35-55 mph most of the time, and mileage runs mostly 18.5 or better. Usually runs 20-22 mpg on highway. The best I have seen is 25+ between Flagstaff, AZ. and Cortez, CO. I am very happy with the mileage and performance of the truck. The rest of it is starting to live up to its name- fix or repair daily.

I don't know how people are doing 22 on the highway. These vehicles weren't rated for that, new out of the factory. The best I do with mine is 17 and the city is 12 or so.

3.73's, highway all seasons, cruise control @ 60mph got me to 22mpg.

two 2WD 5.0's 3:73's. 15-17.5 mpg around town and i've seen as high as 23+ highway on relatively flat roads, cruise set on about 55. i drive pretty conservitively. someone had mentioned how these engines suck gas while idling - i agree idling, even a little while, will really show up in the mpgs.

I get almost the same in the Mounty, my work commute is half backroads with alot of hills and the other half is alot of lights and 2 big hills. I average 12-13.5 between fill ups. On the short highway trips I have taken since owning this truck I have seen like you an average of about 20-22mpg.

3.73's, highway all seasons, cruise control @ 60mph got me to 22mpg.

shadow whats up man?

i get consistently 15mpg when i do fresh oil changes , after 1000 miles i drop to 14.5 and since ive owned the truck i have always gotten 14.5 on the dot its ALWAYS what ive gotten and trust me i keep very close tabs on my mpg

do you have a CAI? i did notice a .3-.5 mpg gain i wouldnt say i have a heavy foot but i am usually one of the more faster paced cars on the highway

does cruise control really improve mpg? i never use it because i always thought your gas goes faster?

do what i do, get 2 bottles of chevron fuel system cleaner, keep your tire PSI at 50 and use Shell gasoline , ive used cheaper fuels and i honestly do see them burn faster than shells

EDIT: I see you have CAI

i think using cruise control helps when the roads are relatively flat and you're not dealing with a lot of stop & go. if you live/drive where there's a lot of hills it might hurt your mileage by causing unnecessary down-shifts. 50 PSI in your tires? that most make for a sssmmmoooth ride...

Back