• Register Today It's free!

Question regarding CAI

derek_redneck91

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport 4x4
Hey guys, haven't been on here in ages, last time i was here I had just received my k&n cai. It works great for power, and I love the noise. Also does good for fuel economy. Unfortunately i had to take it off because I was using a lot of fuel and the truck wouldnt run right as soon as the weather got cold. Turns out CAI had nothing to do with it and it was a lower intake gasket. So here's my question. Is it ok to have the CAI on my truck for the winter? It can get cold here, and I mean F*CKING COLD! I just don't want to screw anything up. I mean improved flow is improved flow, the EGR and MAF will take care of the coldness and extra air sooo. Thoughts? Opinions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I mean, you should be fine. I can't think of any real reason that it would give you and issue or cause any problems.

You should be just fine, companies that design things like this account for weather conditions. Me personally, my point of view has been skewed... (http://youtu.be/gCi2yo4UqPI) Video relevant.

after watching that video I decided not to get a CAI but i do question it being vehicle specific. The car in the video is set up to draw cold air in nicely but explorers only have a small opening in the air box

warmer engine bay air

I suspect that your K&N CAI pulls air from the engine compartment instead of outside air. If so then the inlet air would be significantly warmer than ambient air when the vehicle is stopped or moving slowly. That would be good in cold winter climates but detrimental in hot summer climates.

Some 1st generation Explorers had thermostatically controlled intake air. There was a heat shield above the passenger side exhaust manifold that warmed the air going to the air filter box. A vacuum actuated valve selected between warmed air and ambient air dependent on air temperature.

I think an Amsoil high flow/high filtration drop in air filter in conjunction with removal of the restricting cone intake mounted on the air filter box is a good first step. A second step might be to route a duct from the air filter box to the front grille area to improve hot weather performance. A third step might be to add thermostat control to select between engine bay and front grille area to improve extreme cold weather performance.

There is a debate whether cool or hot intake air improves fuel economy. However, for normal temperature ranges performance (power) increases with cooler intake air. This was verified in the video. I wonder if the dyno tests differences would have been more or less significant for a normally aspirated engine.

Your factory intake is already drawing in cool air, so it will be fine... Actually, the way most CAIs are set up for explorers, they will likely draw in warmer air at idle and low speeds than the factory intake. As far as the question goes. You will be fine. I never had a problem in -40 or -50 weather. It will be no different than with the stock intake system, just less restrictive.

2000StreetRod, that valve was pretty much for emissions.

Really though the hole for the stock air box is in part of the same area as the cone would be for the CAI. Yes i agree that it will suck in more warm air that the stock airbox, but one of the main things about the CAI is less restrictive air flow. Making it breathe easier improves efficiency on its own. I'll throw some sort of ducting in there next summer, and there should be plenty of cold air coming from the gap between the hood and grille. Oh well. Thanks for all the input folks

The stock air box isn't really that big of a restriction. Not at low RPMs anyway.

Is it ok to have the CAI on my truck for the winter?

Yes. You will be just fine.

Don't forget that you still have an Exhaust Gas Recirculation system that will add warm exhaust gas back to the intake manifold.

Use a scan tool or ScanGauge to monitor your Intake Air Temperature. You will notice a difference. With the factory air box, your IAT will be a lot higher. I have seen IATs as high as 150 degree with the factory air box. As opposed to IAT as low as 50 with the Cold Air Intake. Of course, all of these numbers depend on conditions which will vary.

If you are in 100+ temps, in the desert, in the middle of summer, idling in complete standstill traffic, then the IAT will be hot. Period. On a 40 degree day, at freeway speeds over 60 MPH, your IAT will be about 10 degrees over the ambient temperature.

Also, keep in mind that your intake tube runs right alongside a hot radiator hose, and directly into a hot engine bay. That cold air coming in through your filter won't be as cold by the time it mixes with fuel. But still, the idea is that you start off with cooler air, and more air.

Now does it really make a difference? Some manufacturers of cold air intakes will post a dyno sheet showing results. But then again, you can watch a video online with a couple of guys doing dyno runs with a Skyline, and believe that your Explorer and that Nissan are exactly the same.

Ultimately, not one single mod will do much of anything by itself. But the idea is that once you do a bunch of mods, they will work together to increase your performance. In order to get anything out of your intake, you should have a better exhaust. Just doing the exhaust will only make your car sound different. Underdrive pulleys, electric fans, and an electric water pump will help reduce parasitic drag. On some cars, vehicle ride height effects efficiency and performance. Different gear ratios and tire sizes could allow you to make better use of the power produced. A custom tune or dyno tune could make all the difference in the world when it comes to getting the most out of your bolt-on mods.

So if all that you do with your car is install a CAI, then no, it won't make much of a difference at all. Save your money. But if you're ready to shell out some more money, and add a lot of other things, then yes, you can increase your performance. And a Cold Air Intake will go nicely with those other mods. Of course, real power will come from bolt on turbos, superchargers, and nitrous oxide. But even those mods won't work well without doing other things.

One of the best explanations of air intakes ever. Thank you Fifty150! :thumbsup:

Thank you Fifty F150. Muchly appreciated and good information. I do have the exhaust done on my truck already, and i'm adding the CAI to help that part out. 4.10 rear end helps torque, but not mileage. Oh well. I'm planning on buying a chip for the truck and getting a custom tune for my birthday.

You will notice a huge improvement with custom tuning.

Why did you get 4.10 gears? You also put 4.10 gears in the front, right?

You will notice a huge improvement with custom tuning.

Why did you get 4.10 gears? You also put 4.10 gears in the front, right?

SOHC sports come factory with 4.10s

Also, i get great mileage with my 4.10's. With stock tires I got 21 highway and 17-18 mixed.

Now I get normally 16-18 mixed and 19 highway. Even in the mountains on 2 lanes I'll pull 18+ with the 265/75s. My highway went down a bit with the bigger tires. I have 114k miles, plugs, wires and fuel filter all replaced.

Now, the winter blend has me around 14mpg but its like that every winter. What kind of MPGs do you see?

What kind of MPGs do you see?

My MPG varies with driving conditions and fuel. Here in CA we have summer and winter blends. But the fuel is different once I cross state lines, since CA also has different additive requirements. Under ideal conditions, with a steady 55 MPH, I have also seen MPG in the 20's. But I have also seen it as low as 12 MPG. The only way for me to get decent mileage is to have a light foot on the throttle.

Does K & N make a set up for the 5.0 or only the 4.0?

Is it a a kit that has been discontinued, or never made? I cannot seem to find one on their website.
Is the Mac the only other option?

For my car, it was the K&N model 57-2513-1.

For that model, the fitment specs are:

1997 MERCURY MOUNTAINEER 5.0L V8 F/I - w/Round Filter

Street Legal In All US States: Yes
CARB EO Number: D-269-12

TUV Approved (Europe): No

1997 FORD RANGER 4.0L V6 F/I - w/Round Filter

1997 FORD EXPLORER 5.0L V8 F/I - w/Round Filter

1997 FORD EXPLORER 4.0L V6 F/I - OHV

1996 FORD RANGER 4.0L V6 F/I - All

1996 FORD EXPLORER 5.0L V8 F/I - All

1996 FORD EXPLORER 4.0L V6 F/I - All

1995 FORD RANGER 4.0L V6 F/I - All

1995 FORD EXPLORER 4.0L V6 F/I - All

Thanks Fifty150.
Was that the cone filter only, or the tube, heat sheild, MAF and all?

Mines an '01...

The picture shows everything that comes in the box. Click on it, and the link will take you to the K&N page for the product.

For your particular model year and factory package, this item may not work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If another manufacturer makes a product that will fit your car, then go with that.

Back