2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like you had a similar issue. Were they able to get this resolved for you without collateral issues? That's my concern now as well.

Cory/Gina,
I was advised to contact you. Let me know what you need from me in the private message.

Thanks.
Actually my 2011 has been virtually trouble free so far anyway. Here is some of the info that the reps will require;
Sed a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state. Seeing as your vehicle had to be left at an other dealership, they will likely require that dealer's name/location as well. I don't believe the reps are on here on weekends but they should get back to you as soon as they can.
Good luck.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rotunda, please make sure to report it: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml
This can help make this a recall.

After my 2011's power steering went out, I joined this forum. I had seen several have the power steering go out again after the entire rack was changed. That bothered me but the final straw was seeing the 2013's still having this problem. I traded it in....it's a beautiful car but I don't want to die in it.

Does anyone have an update on the NHTSA investigation? I'm interested to know what is causing this problem. It's a little diconcerncing knowing my family's car might have a steering issue.

Does anyone have an update on the NHTSA investigation?...
Started my Ex up this morning and guess what? Terrain Management system fault...
...However, when he called last week he said the part should be in very late this week. I'd think that would mean today or tomorrow, but I haven't heard anything yet...
For those who missed this, I want to post again: We are continuing to fully cooperate with the NHTSA in its investigation, which is ongoing at this time. No one knows how long the investigation will take. I’m still here to help you guys. If anyone is experiencing a concern with their vehicle, make an appointment with your Ford dealer as soon as possible. Then, please PM me with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer name/state. This way, I can get it escalated to the CSM for your region. Continue to stay strong and thank you for your support!

...Funny - just got a call from the dealer this morning. He said 200 of these replacement parts are on back-order and not due in until 11/26...
...Cory/Gina,
I was advised to contact you. Let me know what you need from me in the private message. Thanks.
RSMFordOwner & Rotunda,

Welcome to the forum. By PM’ing me the details I mentioned earlier in my post, I’ll arrange a call from your regional customer service managers.

Actually my 2011 has been virtually trouble free so far anyway. Here is some of the info that the reps will require;
Sed a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state. Seeing as your vehicle had to be left at an other dealership, they will likely require that dealer's name/location as well. I don't believe the reps are on here on weekends but they should get back to you as soon as they can...
You definitely make my job easier, Peter; I appreciate all your help. :thumbsup:

Cory

Rotunda, please make sure to report it: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml
This can help make this a recall.

After my 2011's power steering went out, I joined this forum. I had seen several have the power steering go out again after the entire rack was changed. That bothered me but the final straw was seeing the 2013's still having this problem. I traded it in....it's a beautiful car but I don't want to die in it.

Can you point me to the posts from people who had this issue after the rack was replaced? I have been attempting to follow this thread and I don't recall seeing any newly replaced racks failing (but that doesn't mean that I didn't miss it).

Also, from what I can tell, only one person reported a 2013 having the issue - not good for sure, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the new racks are problematic.

(I guess I'm just trying to stay positive!)

Does anyone have an update on the NHTSA investigation? I'm interested to know what is causing this problem. It's a little diconcerncing knowing my family's car might have a steering issue.

Ford has stated that it was a combination of three separate manufacturing defects that they have since addressed. Not sure what the NHTSA figured out (if anything).

Had an appointment last Tue (the 20th) to get my power steering fixed. Dropped it off late Monday night and it was ready by lunch on Tuesday. No issues since, although I've had no issues for the last month while I waited for the part. However, I do notice one difference. I mentioned recently that if I try to start driving as quickly as possible after hitting the start button, the steering is very tough for the first second or two. Almost like the boot sequence hasn't completed yet. Since the repair has been made, I haven't been able to reproduce that.

Also, from what I can tell, only one person reported a 2013 having the issue

Between me and Rotunda, that's at least two 2013s with the issue.

Had an appointment last Tue (the 20th) to get my power steering fixed. Dropped it off late Monday night and it was ready by lunch on Tuesday. No issues since, although I've had no issues for the last month while I waited for the part. However, I do notice one difference. I mentioned recently that if I try to start driving as quickly as possible after hitting the start button, the steering is very tough for the first second or two. Almost like the boot sequence hasn't completed yet. Since the repair has been made, I haven't been able to reproduce that.

Between me and Rotunda, that's at least two 2013s with the issue.

Ugh... not good.

Can you point me to the posts from people who had this issue after the rack was replaced? I have been attempting to follow this thread and I don't recall seeing any newly replaced racks failing (but that doesn't mean that I didn't miss it).

Also, from what I can tell, only one person reported a 2013 having the issue - not good for sure, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the new racks are problematic.

(I guess I'm just trying to stay positive!)

Thank you Dynaman2. I knew there was more than one.
Between this site and nhtsa complaints, I can't remember who made the complaints and there are too many to go back through. I am certain there was one to have the replacement rack fail, I'm thinking there was two but I could be wrong.

I hope yours is fixed for good!

double rack replacement

My car had the rack replaced twice. I'm sure if you search my posts, you can see dates and miles. I'm having surgery this week and don't have time to look at records. We'll all be happy if there is ever a real answer to this. The worry and anxiety doesn't go away.

What a pile of junk!

2011 Explorer--
Purchased this SUV in 2010..very early model...took vehicle home,next morning "MyFord touch" broke (need to be totally replaced)....month or so later "power steering lose" wife was almost in a terrible accident.
Took SUV to dealer and after a week finally was told power steering unit need to be replaced,took another week before I got truck back.
Fast forward today and my son started truck up and pulled out and guess what??? Steering failed/brakes and truck died,son nearly crashed into parked vehicles.
Let me explain,I'm a Ford guy (I own a 2011 Mustang/2011 Explorer/2012 Focus) this truck is a pile of JUNK!
Windows clunk/rattle,I have fixed numerous plastic parts on this SUV myself and didn't waste time bringing it back to Ford.
I can tell you right now FORD, me and you are finished!!!!

Update,while waiting on tow truck at my home I decided to see if I could replicate problem...what do you know. Steering/brakes failed again.

The most discusting part of this whole thing is after the 1st incident last yr I was told by Ford..."the power steering unit failed and so the car reverts back to manual....so you wife probably didn't understand to turn the steering wheel harder"...Well you know what Ford B.S.!
It happened to me and I'm a pretty big guy and my son is 6'0" over 200 LBS and he could turn that wheel. How in the heck does Ford let this vehicle on our roads is mind boggling!

I explected more from you FORD.

JUNK!!!

2011 Explorer--
Purchased this SUV in 2010..very early model...took vehicle home,next morning "MyFord touch" broke (need to be totally replaced)....month or so later "power steering lose" wife was almost in a terrible accident.
Took SUV to dealer and after a week finally was told power steering unit need to be replaced,took another week before I got truck back.
Fast forward today and my son started truck up and pulled out and guess what??? Steering failed/brakes and truck died,son nearly crashed into parked vehicles.
Let me explain,I'm a Ford guy (I own a 2011 Mustang/2011 Explorer/2012 Focus) this truck is a pile of JUNK!
Windows clunk/rattle,I have fixed numerous plastic parts on this SUV myself and didn't waste time bringing it back to Ford.
I can tell you right now FORD, me and you are finished!!!!

Update,while waiting on tow truck at my home I decided to see if I could replicate problem...what do you know. Steering/brakes failed again.

The most discusting part of this whole thing is after the 1st incident last yr I was told by Ford..."the power steering unit failed and so the car reverts back to manual....so you wife probably didn't understand to turn the steering wheel harder"...Well you know what Ford B.S.!
It happened to me and I'm a pretty big guy and my son is 6'0" over 200 LBS and he could turn that wheel. How in the heck does Ford let this vehicle on our roads is mind boggling!

I explected more from you FORD.

JUNK!!!
It is unfortunate that this has to be your first post but welcome to the Forum anyway.:wavey:
Did you actually take delivery in 2010? I thought the early models were mainly released as test or show models and that those for the consumer were only being manufactured in 2011. I ordered mine in Dec. 2010 and picked it up March 14th. It has been a very solid vehicle with minimal issues.
I can definitely understand your frustration and still am amazed how Ford can maintain that sudden loss of steering is not a potential safety issue. Unbelievable!

Peter

Lawyers gave up on making a case, so this week the Ex goes into the body shop. $18K in repairs by estimate. I'll be driving it once done, as she will have nothing to do with it - (she likes the 2000 Range Rover I got as an interim vehicle better now anyway) - Shall see how long it behaves before the next issue. The three total electrical power shut downs were never resolved. The experiment continues.

2011 Explorer--
Fast forward today and my son started truck up and pulled out and guess what??? Steering failed/brakes and truck died,son nearly crashed into parked vehicles...

Hi JunkExplorer,

I just want to make sure that you know that I responded to your PM and escalated your case. Please reach out to me if you have any other concerns.

Thanks,

Crystal

It is unfortunate that this has to be your first post but welcome to the Forum anyway.:wavey:
Did you actually take delivery in 2010? I thought the early models were mainly released as test or show models and that those for the consumer were only being manufactured in 2011. I ordered mine in Dec. 2010 and picked it up March 14th. It has been a very solid vehicle with minimal issues.
I can definitely understand your frustration and still am amazed how Ford can maintain that sudden loss of steering is not a potential safety issue. Unbelievable!

Peter

I stand corrected,I asked wife on purchase date and it was March of 2011 and the first day it was home the "MyFord touch" broke and had to be replace..took 1 1/2 weeks...I owned vehicle for 1 dang day!
Aug/11 is the 1st time steering/braking problem occured,took it to dealer and lost vehicle for another 2 weeks (replaced steering unit). I have had ongoing issues with windows that "jump" up and down when you open and close them,plastic exterior parts that come loose that I have to tighten. I can't tell you how many times I had issues with sync software and now once again the "minor" issue of no steering/braking while driving.

The few vehicles that this happens to should be off the road perminately and Ford should be taking the lead on that but sadly they are not.

Update if anyone interested.

Vehicle was looked over at the dealer and (drum roll) NOTHING shows up...go figure.
It doesn't suprise me one bit since it first happened over a yr ago.
I have been dealing with Fords east coast costumer rep who is a very lovely women and truly wants to help. My dealer is going to take vehicle on Jan 2 and install a recording box, they intend to drive vehicle for a few hundred miles to see if it can record problem...it's a good start but since it's so random I'm not holding my breath.

I personally believe this is a software or elecrical issue and not mechanical as it was originally diagnosed by Ford last yr.
Why do I believe this...when this problem occurs the only only way to fix issue at that moment is to restart vehicle (even though vehicle is still running) if this was a mechancial problem (with electric steering unit)...restart would not solve a mechanical issue....broke is broke.
I stand by what I said...it's a software/electrical issue.

Imagine driving this vehicle at highway speeds and this issue occurs....thats what is bothering me so much. Again these vehicles that report these problems should NOT be on the road.

I will keep people up to date because this issue needs to be fixed.

Also does anyone this forum know about how many explorers have reported this steering/brake issue?

Thank you

Update if anyone interested.

Vehicle was looked over at the dealer and (drum roll) NOTHING shows up...go figure.
It doesn't suprise me one bit since it first happened over a yr ago.
I have been dealing with Fords east coast costumer rep who is a very lovely women and truly wants to help. My dealer is going to take vehicle on Jan 2 and install a recording box, they intend to drive vehicle for a few hundred miles to see if it can record problem...it's a good start but since it's so random I'm not holding my breath.

I personally believe this is a software or elecrical issue and not mechanical as it was originally diagnosed by Ford last yr.
Why do I believe this...when this problem occurs the only only way to fix issue at that moment is to restart vehicle (even though vehicle is still running) if this was a mechancial problem (with electric steering unit)...restart would not solve a mechanical issue....broke is broke.
I stand by what I said...it's a software/electrical issue.

Imagine driving this vehicle at highway speeds and this issue occurs....thats what is bothering me so much. Again these vehicles that report these problems should NOT be on the road.

I will keep people up to date because this issue needs to be fixed.

Also does anyone this forum know about how many explorers have reported this steering/brake issue?

Thank you
Glad to see that someone else shares my opinion. I posted way back that it seems like an electrical or software problem since restarting the Explorer would sometimes fix the problem.

Peter

Glad to see that someone else shares my opinion. I posted way back that it seems like an electrical or software problem since restarting the Explorer would sometimes fix the problem.

Peter

How many times did this problem occur to your Explorer?

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

24 Pages is a lot to read through. Can someone that has been active in this thread summarize it for me? With 2 babies at home, I don't have a lot of time to read this forum .

Is there a recall in place?
Does it affect 2013 Ex models?
Have there been serious accidents?
Anything else?

I saw a class action lawsuit ad on Facebook for this issue, I posted it in a separate thread so it would be seen. Hopefully nobody has been injured due to these malfunctions.

Back