• Register Today It's free!

Dealer Cant program key??

xjsport95

Reaction score
City, State
Blossburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Explorer Eddie Bauer
So my truck only came with one working key, I went to my local dealer today to have another one made... an hour and a half later they tell me they cut the key but cant program it because there is an error code with the memory funtion on the mirrors???? Does that make any sense what so ever? They want me to drop the truck off next week so they can tear into it? The memory seats and pedals work but the mirrors however do not. I really dont want to spend god knows how much for them to spend teh day tearing my truck apart. has anyone else had an issue like this? I had to spend 40 bucks on a key that just unlocks the door but nothing else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Um, what year is your truck, and what model? I think only the Excursions and Expeditions offered the memory mirrors during 2006-2010.

Edit: "I went with the explorer. I Liked this truck best of all, It drives nice, very well equipped, and its nice looking..."

Your truck doesn't have memory mirrors. Wasn't part of the memory package. Maybe your seat memory module was replaced with a unit from a different vehicle. That could be verified by checking the part number on it. Between the Smart Junction Box and all the other modules and computers I can't keep up. And, I sure hate to be at the mercy of a dealer for repairs.

Is there another Ford dealer in your area, I think I would go there. An alternative is a locksmith. Some locksmiths can program additional keys when you only have one. They can also replace an ign key switch and provide replacement keys.

Good luck.

so went with a different dear, turns out the one I went to in the first place was just an ass... they gave me some funny looks when I told them what was said by the first one then 30 minutes later I have 2 working keys lol

Wow, that is seriously weak! Did they make you clone keys or program new keys for you? Mine only came with one, and I'd like 2 unique keys so I can program my own.

Wow, that is seriously weak! Did they make you clone keys or program new keys for you? Mine only came with one, and I'd like 2 unique keys so I can program my own.
Agreed, considering PATS has been around since 1996, and NEW vehicles only come with TWO programmed keys. :thumbdwn:

so went with a different dealer, turns out the one I went to in the first place was just an ass...
Could you give the names of the bad & good dealership ?? BTW, glad you got keys made-

Could you give the names of the bad & good dealership ?? BTW, glad you got keys made-

The first one I went to as "cole and Burd" Ford in Mansfield pa they were the ones who were giving me a line is bs...They fixed deer damage on a lincoln town car a few years ago, the car went back 3 different times to redo what they half assed in the first place...

The one that made the keys was "Ferrario" Ford in Elmira, NY... I have delt with ferrario a few times before, their chrysler department are a bunch of morons but their ford side is pretty good...

I assume they actually programed it since the key they used was the one that the first dealership had cut for me but, in all honesty im not sure, I didnt think to ask that

I have 3 types of Ford key: a chipped valet key (does not open trunk or glovebox), a chipped full service key, and a non chipped key. For $40 it sounds like the first dealer sold you the chipped key that could be programmed with your original key by the dealer. The non chipped key has a much smaller plastic head.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Simply put, if the key is NOT programmed, it won't start the vehicle.
2 programmed keys are needed to make extra ignition keys, 8 maximum.

2 programmed keys are needed to make extra ignition keys, 8 maximum.

not if you have a dealer scan tool or some that lock smiths can get. They can hook the truck up to the scan tool and program keys that way also.

On a side note the OP should contact ford customer service about this dealer that said it cant be done. this will get them looking into how "shady" this dealer may be to others also.

not if you have a dealer scan tool or some that lock smiths can get. They can hook the truck up to the scan tool and program keys that way also.
Yes, a programmer is needed if you only have one working ignition key. Did you read ANY of this thread before replying?

Update: The dealer atually programed the key didnt clone it... I bought 2 key blanks off ebay had them cut and was able to program them myself... Now I have 4 keys, Yay... although lowes did srew up cutting them they still turn, just a little hard...

Back