• Register Today It's free!

Split Armrest Issue

harlenm

Reaction score
City, State
Shelton, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited(lemon swap)
Well, since Ford won't fix the two issues I have(leather tear and wheel damage), I guess I have to throw a patch on the rear armrest to make sure the tear doesn't get worse.

Any ideas where to get one?

And in the spring I need to find some new wheels for it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check out a local car upholstery shop. A good one can perform miracles with leather or vinyl. I've even seen them replace sections of a leather seat and you'd never know it was repaired.

I don't think the armrests are real leather. I believe just the seating surfaces are leather.

Explorer Door panel armrest separating

Good morning! I purchased a CPO 2011 Limited a couple weeks ago, and noticed that the leather on the passenger door panel (right at the 90 up from the armrest) is pulled away from the panel itself. I have 32K miles on the truck, and was wondering if this is covered under the original factory warranty? I also purchased to 7/100 Premium B2B warranty, but would rather get it addressed right away if the original warranty covers this. Any help is appreciated.

-Sean

Your CPO warranty or the Premium 7yr 100K you purchased wont cover something like that, but the original factory 3yr 36k will and from the sounds of your post its still under that. So swing into your dealer and they will order a new panel most likely.

Hope this is the only problem you see, enjoy your new ride.

Good morning! I purchased a CPO 2011 Limited a couple weeks ago, and noticed that the leather on the passenger door panel (right at the 90 up from the armrest) is pulled away from the panel itself. I have 32K miles on the truck, and was wondering if this is covered under the original factory warranty? I also purchased to 7/100 Premium B2B warranty, but would rather get it addressed right away if the original warranty covers this. Any help is appreciated.

-Sean
Welcome to the Forum SJExplorer.:wavey:
Nice to have you aboard Sean. As 13TURBO stated, it is best to take back to the dealer and point this out to them. Perhaps it was missed in the vehicle inspection. In either case, it should be fixed at no cost to you.
Good luck.

Peter

...I purchased a CPO 2011 Limited a couple weeks ago, and noticed that the leather on the passenger door panel (right at the 90 up from the armrest) is pulled away from the panel itself...
Welcome to the forum, Sean! I want to lend a hand with getting this concern resolved by arranging a call from your regional customer service manager. Please send me a PM with your full name, VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, and dealer details.

Cory

Welcome to the forum, Sean! I want to lend a hand with getting this concern resolved by arranging a call from your regional customer service manager. Please send me a PM with your full name, VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, and dealer details.

Cory
Hey Cory. Nice to see you back helping out.:thumbsup:

Peter

Thanks Cory! PM sent!

My 2011 did the same thing. Ford covered it but only after the dealership took pictures of it and having it approved from someone higher up.

I took my Explorer to the dealer this morning for pictures, and just got a call that Ford authorized two new door panels, and they should be in next week. Great outcome!

I took my Explorer to the dealer this morning for pictures, and just got a call that Ford authorized two new door panels, and they should be in next week. Great outcome!

Awesome news, SJExplorer! Thanks for sharing your experience with us. :)

Crystal

Just discovered that my 2011 XLT driver's side armrest is separating at the 90 degree turn between where your elbow would rest and where it turns downward. The separation is about 4 inches so far and exposes the yellow foam padding underneath.

@SJExplorer was this the same location as yours?

Just discovered that my 2011 XLT driver's side armrest is separating at the 90 degree turn between where your elbow would rest and where it turns downward. The separation is about 4 inches so far and exposes the yellow foam padding underneath.

@SJExplorer was this the same location as yours?

Yes it was. Mine was separating on the front and rear passenger door panels.

Seam Tear in Armrest

I recently noticed a 2" tear in the seam of my driver side armrest in my 2011 Ex. Has anyone else had this issue? Does anyone know of a good way to fix this? Thanks in advance!

photo%201.JPG

photo%202.JPG

Considering it is vinyl like material, panel replacement is my guess. Not sure what is out there for seam sealer (I remember the as seen on TV crap for leather tears). Are you over 36k?

Why won't they repair it?

I recently noticed a 2" tear in the seam of my driver side armrest in my 2011 Ex. Has anyone else had this issue? Does anyone know of a good way to fix this? Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the Forum JohnC12.:wavey:
I think to properly repair it the whole door panel has to be replaced. If you are out of warranty, you might try something like crazy glue or something like blwnsmoke suggested. You can take it to an upholstery shop where they would likely just glue it as well. It isn't real leather and those aren't real stitches.
Good luck.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the quick replies.

Considering it is vinyl like material, panel replacement is my guess. Not sure what is out there for seam sealer (I remember the as seen on TV crap for leather tears). Are you over 36k?

I'm actually 1,500 shy of being out of warranty. I have to be honest in that I didn't even think about my warranty. :scratch: I have a couple other issues that I need to address before I hit the big 36k, so I'll have them address this while it's in the shop. Thanks for the suggestion, blwnsmoke.

Why won't they repair it?

I'm going to make an appointment; I sure hope they take care of it.

Welcome to the Forum JohnC12.:wavey:
I think to properly repair it the whole door panel has to be replaced. If you are out of warranty, you might try something like crazy glue or something like blwnsmoke suggested. You can take it to an upholstery shop where they would likely just glue it as well. It isn't real leather and those aren't real stitches.
Good luck.

Peter

Thanks Peter. Also, thanks for the PM. I've adjusted my photo sizes. ;)

Back