• Register Today It's free!

Rear End Noise

fireftr

Reaction score
City, State
strongsville,ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Limited 4.6
I've seen reports of whining noises and now my '05 Limited 4.6 w/65k is having them. People have had repairs done to the tune of $1500 and there's a TSB covering the repair job. What is the exact problem causing the noise, and is this something that will gradually get worse and cause complete failure?
If this is such a common problem, has any action been taken to file a suit against Ford, cause I'll be damned if I'm paying that much for a drivetrain repair when my vehicle isn't that old and in excellent condition!
Might be my last Ford purchase!:thumbdwn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an 04 v6 with that noise too it comes and goes it started when I hit like 55k and since then I replaced 3 hub bearings and my mech took a look around my differential. After that it went away for a little bit. Now im at 67k and the noise came back. I wish I knew cause it drives me crazy but oh well. My friend has an 03 xls with 92k and has no noise at all. I guess were just unlucky and I called ford and they told me it is a common problem and there was nothing they could do.

So the noise is from the bearings and not the gears?

I wish like I said it went away and then came back. I kinda wanna see about doin a complete axle swap but thats alot of money to just "see" if the noise will go away.

Yup, I have it too. Bought my truck used in May this year. I think at this point I've learned to live with it. Maybe it's gotten quieter through time. I don't think it affects anything in the truck other than being annoying.

It seems to be caused by the aluminum housing warping. It's probably up on our top 10 seller list now..big issue all over.

fireftr
So this sounds like my issue. Have you done anything about it yet? I was told "I didn't see" that there are metal shaving in the gear oil. I'm think I should try changing the gear oil and see how it goes. What you thing?

Here is Fords tsb
Printable View (11 KB)
TSB
05-23-3 REAR AXLE NOISE REPAIR

Publication Date: November 4, 2005

FORD: 1997-2005 Expedition, F-150
2002-2005 Explorer
LINCOLN: 1998-2005 Navigator
2003-2005 Aviator
MERCURY: 2002-2005 Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB 05-12-6 to update the Service Kit and Service Procedure information.

ISSUE:
Some vehicles may exhibit an axle whine or hum during acceleration, deceleration and/or cruise.

ACTION:
An axle repair kit has been developed which incorporates most parts required for a comprehensive axle repair. The kit should be used instead of installing a complete axle assembly to repair an axle whine/hum. Replace Ring and Pinion with Axle Kit and Components.

NOTE: REFER TO THE "DIFFERENTIAL RING AND PINION" IN-VEHICLE REPAIR PROCEDURE IN THE ONLINE WORKSHOP MANUAL SECTION 205-00, FOR THE LATEST AXLE DIAGNOSIS AND REPAIR PROCEDURES.

NOTE: FOR 1999 AND PRIOR MODEL YEAR VEHICLES, USE THE 2000 MODEL YEAR WORKSHOP MANUAL.

NOTE: WHEN SERVICING THE REAR AXLE ON ANY 2002-2004 F-150, EXPEDITION, NAVIGATOR, EXPLORER OR MOUNTAINEER BUILT BEFORE 3/30/2004, IF FLUID REPLACEMENT IS REQUIRED, REPLACE THE ORIGINAL FUEL EFFICIENT HIGH PERFORMANCE (FEHP) SAE 75W-90 REAR AXLE LUBRICANT WITH SAE 75W-140 HIGH PERFORMANCE SYNTHETIC REAR AXLE LUBRICANT. WHEN THE FLUID TYPE IS CHANGED, REPLACE THE CURRENT "FEHP" METAL TAG WITH A NEW "75W-140" TAG (F3TZ-4121-AA). IN ADDITION, REMOVE OR BLOCK-OUT THE FEHP REFERENCE ON THE MULTI-COLORED LABEL LOCATED ON THE RIGHT SIDE AXLE TUBE. IF THE AXLE IS A LIMITED-SLIP MODEL, USE XL3 ADDITIVE FRICTION MODIFIER IN THE QUANTITY RECOMMENDED BY THE WORKSHOP MANUAL.

KIT ORDERING: REFER TO THE VEHICLE AXLE TAG FOR AXLE RATIO IDENTIFICATION

5L3Z-4209-A = (8.8-Inch Ring Gear/3.31 ratio) (1997-2005 F-150)
5L3Z-4209-B = (8.8-Inch Ring Gear/3.55 ratio) (1997-2005 F-150, 2002-2005 Explorer/Mountaineer/Aviator)
5L3Z-4209-C = (8.8-Inch Ring Gear/3.73 ratio) (1997-2005 F-150, 2002-2005 Explorer/Mountaineer/Aviator, 2003-2004 Expedition/Navigator)
5L3Z-4209-D = (9.75-Inch Ring Gear/3.31 ratio) (1997-2005 F-150, 2005 Expedition/Navigator, 1997-2002 Expedition/Navigator)
5L3Z-4209-E = (9.75-Inch Ring Gear/3.55 ratio) (1997-2005 F-150, 1997-2002 Expedition/Navigator)
5L3Z-4209-F = (9.75-Inch Ring Gear/3.73 ratio) (1997-2005 F-150, 1997-2005 Expedition/Navigator)
NOTE: 9.75 REAR AXLE HOUSINGS WERE REDESIGNED IN MID-1999, INCREASING FRONT PINION BEARING SIZE. REPLACING RING & PINIONS IN AN OLD-STYLE AXLE ASSEMBLY WILL REQUIRE INSTALLATION OF SPACER P/N YL3Z-4662-CA. SPACER IS TO BE INSTALLED BETWEEN INNER PINION BEARING AND COLLAPSIBLE SPACER.

THE AXLE SERVICE KITS INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING COMPONENTS:

4630 - Head Bearing
4628 - Head Bearing Cup
4676 - Pinion Seal
386989-S2 - Washer (Slinger)
4621 - Tail Bearing
4616 - Tail Bearing Cup
4222 - Differential Bearing Cups
4221 - Differential Bearings
4209 - Gear Set (includes pinion shims, pinion nut and crush spacer)
4209 - Instruction Sheet
NOTE: THE KIT DOES NOT INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING ITEMS. SOME OR ALL OF THESE ITEMS WILL BE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE THE AXLE SERVICE, DEPENDING ON AXLE APPLICATION/STYLE.

ORDER AS NEEDED:

NOTE: REUSE OF RING GEAR BOLTS, CARRIER BEARING CAP BOLTS AND DIFFERENTIAL SLAVE PIN RETAINING BOLT REQUIRES CLEANING OF THREADS AND INSTALLATION OF TA-27 STUD AND BEARING MOUNT RETAINING COMPOUND & SEALANT.

YL3Z-4662-CA - Pinion Bearing Spacer for 1997-1998 9.75 axles
XG-14 - Gear Marking Compound
4067 - Differential Shims 0.241" to 0.307"
SAE XY-75W140-QL - High Performance Synthetic Rear Axle Lubricant
XL-3 - Additive Friction Modifier (Limited Slip Axles Only)
205-506 - Seal Protectors (Rotunda Tool)
W710084-S439 - Wheel End Nuts
390266-S100 - Differential Slave Pin Bolt (9.75" axles)
387426-S100 - Differential Slave Pin Bolt (8.8" axles)
4B422 - Axle Circlips
ZC-21 - Metal Surface Cleaner
TA-29 - Ultra Silicone Sealant
TA-27 - Stud and Bearing Mount Retaining Compound and Sealer
F3TZ-4121-AA - Fluid Tag (REQUIRED IF FLUID TYPE IS CHANGED FROM FEHP DURING REPAIR)

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Cover

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
4209 14

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2005 Ford Motor Company

I lived with mine for a long time. It finally got to the point that it was not just whining but growling. I had the whole diff rebuilt at about 74k miles. I was told that the cltch packs were trashed and the bearings shot. I was also starting to get an ABS light coming on when i would drive on the highway for a few hours. That went away too after the rebuild.

I haven't done anything yet, but a mechanic I know suggested replacing the diff. fluid with the heavier synthetic stuff. Unfortunately, its a little C H I L L Y here in Cleveland and the fluid needs to be warm to flow out, so I'm going to wait until spring to do it. Again, does anyone have any knowledge of a class action suit to reimburse us owners for these repair costs? I still can't justify a $1000 or so repair cost for a damn rear end that should outlast the entire vehicle! Why should we be stuck with this when its evident that its a design, assembly or parts issue. We all bought these vehicles in good faith, so they should either cover the repair costs in full or part. Has anyone had the rear end lock up or break due to this? Keep the faith.

Called dealership and told them I understand there's a TSB out on this prob and shouldn't that be enough to initiate reimbursement? Was told the TSB is just a directive for the mechanics to do the work! Again, no $$$ help!

My 2004 V6 (145K) has the same noise. No leakage from the diff. Had the dope changed, no help (saw no flecks in old oil, no scarring of ring and pinion, small metal fuzz on drain magnet).

My last explorer ('94) developed this problem 3 times in 320K miles. Each time it was a U-joint.

Thks for the reply, but this prob is only for the 02-05 years. It has to do with the new pumpkin the used for the independent rear end. Another one of Ford's "better ideas"!

Has anyone heard if you can replace a newer model Explorer differential for the '02-05?

My 02xlt RWD developed a low hum around 120k miles, right after I put AT high treadware tires on so I presumed it to be tire hum. It got progressively louder and the tire finally got down to the indicators so I put a set of street treads on with better shoulders so it would be quieter. Boy was I surprised $600 later and found out through these forums it was a rear end issue all along! I changed to the heavier fluid but did not have any affect. I am torn, sure it is an 11 year old truck, but I absolutely love the truck, at 165k now and only tire changes have been the only major expenses. All city and highway miles. I want to keep it longer but if there is no known cure which last, I may have to get another vehicle if I want to ride in peace and quiet. If there are any updates let me know. I did find the TSB but no known recalls on this issue. Really sucks because the truck is like new otherwise.

I lived with mine for a long time. It finally got to the point that it was not just whining but growling. I had the whole diff rebuilt at about 74k miles. I was told that the cltch packs were trashed and the bearings shot. I was also starting to get an ABS light coming on when i would drive on the highway for a few hours. That went away too after the rebuild.

same problem here,can you tell me how much that procedure cost and was it done by a ford dealer? thnx

what i thought was the diff actually turned out to be a wheel bearing gone bad. got my 02 ex back in Feb and replaced the RR and that seamed to quite it down some but was still there. After reading and came to the conclusion that its just the ring gears meshing that it was no big deal till the day that the LR tire started to wobble and lock up. Guess what LR bearing gone. Now both bearings replaced, and No HUM at all nice and quite. i have 190k miles on mine. Love the EX...

I have the rear end roar in my 2003 4.6 and I can confirm it is the rear differential. It actually has been roaring for years now and I checked the differential and found metal shavings.

The roar is so loud now, it is almost unbearable. Does anyone know where I can purchase a new differential and what ratio will I need?

Thanks
Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back