96 Ex 5.0: How Much Of AC System Should Be Replaced? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 Ex 5.0: How Much Of AC System Should Be Replaced?

YamahaRick

Reaction score
City, State
Metro ATL, Georgia USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT 5.0
I'm in the process of getting my 96 XLT totally road worthy after being stored for most of the last seven years. One thing that has surfaced is a noisy AC compressor clutch.

Luckily, I have a shop that allows me to supply my own parts. The price of an AC clutch was about $100, but one with a newly rebuilt compressor was only $75 more - so I'll go with the latter. The vehicle still has the original compressor. The AC's performance was a bit lacking when last used.

While this will take care of the original problem, what other elements of the AC system should be replaced?

Regarding the A/C Receiver Drier / Accumulator ... a Ford OEM part is priced much higher than the alternatives ... worth it?

What other insight should I know? TIA.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A/C Compressor, Accumulator, Orifice Tube, and lines should be replaced. Then a pancake filter should be installed. The system needs a good flush, and with all that you should be good to go. Since your vehicle is a '96, you don't need a new condenser.

To be honest, I would go straight Motorcraft for everything that needs replacing in your A/C system. 12 year, 12,000 mile warranty and you know that your parts are as good as the ones that came on the truck. Make sure you read the MotorCraft warranty carefully though, as missing on step in their required replacements voids the warranty.

To be honest, I would go straight Motorcraft for everything that needs replacing in your A/C system. 12 year, 12,000 mile warranty and you know that your parts are as good as the ones that came on the truck. Make sure you read the MotorCraft warranty carefully though, as missing on step in their required replacements voids the warranty.

Thanks for the feedback.

Found this info on the Rock Auto site:

MOTORCRAFT Warranty Information

12 months/12000 miles. IMPORTANT A/C COMPRESSOR WARRANTY NOTE: To effectively restore an air conditioning system after compressor failure or other system contamination, in addition to compressor replacement, the following should also be completed: 1) Replace the accumulator/receiver drier. 2) Replace the expansion valve. 3) Replace the hose assemblies that contain the muffler. 4) Perform a complete system flush and install an in-line pancake filter (YF-2575). 5) Replace the condenser (on vehicles built prior to 1995). In the event that subsequent compressor warranty reimbursement is requested, supporting documentation that indicates the above was completed may be required to maintain the warranty coverage on the Motorcraft® compressor.

However, I'm not certain what "3) Replace the hose assemblies that contain the muffler." means. Does the Motorcraft YF2524 Manifold and Tube Assembly cover this need?

However, I'm not certain what "3) Replace the hose assemblies that contain the muffler." means. Does the Motorcraft YF2524 Manifold and Tube Assembly cover this need?

That I'm not sure about. When my A/C gets redone after the restoration is finished, I was just going to replace all the tubes. Just a bit of extra insurance for 14 year old lines in the rust belt.

most places will not warranty your new/reman compressor unless you replace the orifice tube, accumulator/dryer and flush the system. adding an in-line filter before the compressor is also a good idea. i used to tell people that they didn't need to buy these items from me, but they better have receipts if they expect to have a warranty claim honored. on some vehicles (Honda's) you must also replace the condenser. on a vehicle that old, replacing the rubber lines would probably be a good idea too.

Damn Google!

I did a search on "Replace the hose assemblies that contain the muffler" and guess what? This thread came up within the top ten of results.

I'm now scared of Google more than ever. :)

I'm still researching, however, I came across two valuable web sites:

http://www.m-m-s.com/ACKits_Public/ - unfortunately, cannot find info on complete "kits."

http://www.fordparts.com/ - duh, good place to view fiche images and verify part numbers.

Ironically, Amazon typically has the lowest prices, and most parts are eligible for Prime Shipping (two day service and I'm a Prime member).

Attachments

• 96expac.jpg
    96expac.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 250

A Related Q ...

Since I don't need to use the AC for at least a few months, I'd like to defer the work for now (so I can save up more $$ as well).

What is the potential consequence of continued use of the vehicle? (other than the annoying noise?) :)

if the compressor pulley makes noise, even when not engaged, then the bearing is shot. spinning the pulley with a bad bearing may result in the bearing seizing and locking up. that will break the serpentine belt and then you'll loose the water pump, alternator and power steering. you might be able to bypass the A/C compressor with a shorter belt, but you'll have to figure out a length that will work, or remove the compressor and get a A/C bypass pulley.

Back