Buzzing Sound | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buzzing Sound

I have a 2013 EX with the same problem. Took it in to the dealership and they flat out told me that there is nothing they can do. They said that all the explorers have been coming in with the same problem and Ford has not given them a fix. Has anyone had any luck getting their "fan" problem fixed? I have a strong background in electronics and when I find a noisy fan on a piece of equipment, especially a 40k product, I replace it. It strikes me as odd when I go in to a dealership and they tell that there is a defect, but there is absolutely nothing they can do about it.

Any help would be appreciated!
Welcome to the Forum bdempsey. :wavey:
This appears to be a 2013 model issue. They have either changed the type of fan or they have a bad shipment of fans. You shouldn't be able to hear it running. You could try another dealer or send a Private Message (PM) to the Ford reps (FordCustSrvc) that monitor this forum with the following info;
your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same issue with my 2013 Limited, it drives me nuts. Hopefully, Ford will issue a TSB for a fix. Sounds like a bad batch of fans or maybe they changed vendors.

I have a 2013 Explorer and it has the buzzing. I cannot hear it but my wife can. I told her about this vent and when she covers it with her hand it will stop for awhile. ??? like I said "I can't hear it" but i'm sure there will be a recall soon.

Original poster here. Took the car back for the second time for another repair. Picked it up on Friday. The last time (according to the dealership), warranty authorized a repair of the fan and the buzz sound came back three days later. This time, supposedly, they replaced the fan as well as padded the outside of it in case it's rubbing on something.

We'll see what happens.

I have a 2013 Explorer and it has the buzzing. I cannot hear it but my wife can. I told her about this vent and when she covers it with her hand it will stop for awhile. ??? like I said "I can't hear it" but i'm sure there will be a recall soon.
Don't hold your breath waiting for a recall. Recalls are usually issued due to a potential safety related issue. The steering issue is much more serious considering the possible consquences and Ford has determined it will not result in a recall. It is much more likely a TSB may be issued for affected 2013 model year Explorers.

Peter

I have a 2013 Limited also, it started around 2000 miles. We narrowed it down to my phone and yes it was my phone. I have the HTC Evo, when plugged into the lighter to charge it makes a buzzing sound through the speakers. So check the type of phone you are using and check the charger for the phone......when my phone is not plugged in to charge there is no buzzing sound. Hope this help.....

I have a 2013 Limited also, it started around 2000 miles. We narrowed it down to my phone and yes it was my phone. I have the HTC Evo, when plugged into the lighter to charge it makes a buzzing sound through the speakers. So check the type of phone you are using and check the charger for the phone......when my phone is not plugged in to charge there is no buzzing sound. Hope this help.....

I have had that same experience. Different phones and different chargers had different characteristic sounds, but they would all buzz in the speakers to a certain amount. It was usually loudest right after I plugged in my phone, and then it would quiet down afterward. Listening to AM radio was the worst. The electrical interference didn't seem to bother the other audio inputs.

Thank you and everyone else for responding, I wish this was the issue, but I can see the fan beyond the vent as the noise is being generated. The Service employee at the dealership even went as far to state that this is a known issue. I have replaced many fans that are very similar in design on high end electrical assemblies and I know this is a simple fix. Either the Fan does not have proper clearance or it is a defect lot, as suspect from previous posts.

I called Ford customer service as soon as I left the dealership and they have promptly called me back this morning. Very professional on the phone, they said that they called the dealership and the dealer denied that I was even there on Saturday. Nothing against Ford, but I am seriously starting to doubt the commitment of my dealership to customer service.

It's not the phone or the charger.....there is a small fan back there.....behind that vent

I have a 2013 EX with the same problem. Took it in to the dealership and they flat out told me that there is nothing they can do. They said that all the explorers have been coming in with the same problem and Ford has not given them a fix. Has anyone had any luck getting their "fan" problem fixed? I have a strong background in electronics and when I find a noisy fan on a piece of equipment, especially a 40k product, I replace it. It strikes me as odd when I go in to a dealership and they tell that there is a defect, but there is absolutely nothing they can do about it.

Any help would be appreciated!

I have the same issue with my 2013 Limited, it drives me nuts. Hopefully, Ford will issue a TSB for a fix. Sounds like a bad batch of fans or maybe they changed vendors.

Hey folks,

As peterk9 suggests below, I can assist by getting your cases escalated to your individual regional customer service managers. Reach out to me via PM with your info (including VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name) and I'll do the rest.

Welcome to the Forum bdempsey. :wavey:
This appears to be a 2013 model issue. They have either changed the type of fan or they have a bad shipment of fans. You shouldn't be able to hear it running. You could try another dealer or send a Private Message (PM) to the Ford reps (FordCustSrvc) that monitor this forum with the following info;
your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Peter

Thanks for the advice and suggestions, peterk9 and wikidhd!

Crystal

Thank you

I just wanted to say it's very comforting to know that Ford monitors these Forums. That's a 1+ in my book.

Thanks Crystal, I love seeing you on here and it does provide a sense of comfort for us here on the site....

Sorry its not your phone or charger, wish it was its a more simple fix. I don't know if you are like me but I hate to have the dealership take my truck apart after the factory has skillfully put it together...

I just wanted to say it's very comforting to know that Ford monitors these Forums. That's a 1+ in my book.

Thanks Crystal, I love seeing you on here and it does provide a sense of comfort for us here on the site....

Thanks so much, bdempsey and wikidhd! :D I'm always happy to see how I can help out.

Crystal

Has anyone gotten any long term resolution on this issue? I've reached my wits end with this damn noise.

Has anyone gotten any long term resolution on this issue? I've reached my wits end with this damn noise.
Have you taken it to the dealer to have them replace the fan, assuming that is what the problem is?

Peter

I haven't followed the thread 100% but I thought it was determined to be a defective fan in the dash?

Some have had the fan replaced and the buzzing came back in a few days.

I don't know if there's been an official TSB or factory fix for the issue.

Some have had the fan replaced and the buzzing came back in a few days.

I don't know if there's been an official TSB or factory fix for the issue.
I haven't heard of any TSB or fix for this problem in reading this forum. I am still curious as to why this issue seems to be with the 2013 models only. Maybe you should give your dealer parts department a call and ask them to check to see if the fan used in the 2013 is the same as the previous model years. If it is, then they either have received a large number of defective fans or there is another problem. I doubt that there is a way to turn it off, even with the inside temp control.
In the meantime I'd go back and have it replaced again.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, mine is fixed. First time it was "repaired", second time they replaced it and it's been fine ever since

Back