1996BLKBauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
Cooling System woes....SOLVED!!!

So last week I had one of the kids in my class say my truck was leaking coolant, I was freaking out about it, so I looked all over, and could not find were it was leaking from, so I just figured it was leaking from a vehicle that parked there before me. It is a college, and college kids don't drive very good cars. Now this week I parked in my buddies driveway, which is seal coated every year, and when I was leaving I noticed a wet spot. I checked it out, sure enough it was coolant, and in the exact same spot it was before in the college parking lot.

So now what? I could not find a leak anywhere, I have been loosing coolant, but a very small amount, maybe a a splash of coolant every month. The heat works amazing, The truck does not overheat, I am lost. I noticed the wet spot shows up on the driver side front sort of, but not right under the radiator. The only thing I have noticed is that the lower radiator hose is sort of stiff, not sure why though. I don't have the money to just throw part into the truck. I want to fix it right. One more thing, I flushed the coolant 3 times when I got the truck, and after a month it was still dirty. any suggestions for that?

I honestly hate dealing with cooling system, every time I have had to do anything on one it is such a headache.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My ranger 4.0 SOHV is losing coolant in a funny place. I think it is the lower intake manifold gasket that is leaking. You need a flashlight to see it but it is leaking at the bottom of the intake manifold. I have been putting off the repair beause it is expensive, labor intensive. Look closely at top of the heads.

Dirty coolant is likely from a radiator repair (stop leak) product.

if you have a garage where u can get under with a creeper,, put it up on jackstands or ramps,, a good light, run it till the motors hot and get unnderneath and just watch,, itll drip, buck

Yeah I think you'll need to run the motor and watch for leaks.

FWIW - my 2000 Sport (4.0 OHV) had a slow leak at the front timing cover, behind the water pump. A couple of the bolts were below torque spec, and tightening them up to spec (NOT over spec) fixed the leak. In the future, though, the gasket will probably need to be replaced.

Radiator seam could be bad, also the lower intake gaskets could be on the fritz. The dirt could have been because someone put a crapload of stop leak in there.

Well that sort of pisses me off, I hate that stop leak crap. I am wondering if the previous owner put a bunch of that junk in there then sold it to the dealership I bought it from. I will check around the block to check for leaks, but when the leak did happen the truck was off, so I am not sure if I would be able to find anything. I'll keep searching around, hopefully I can find something. Thanks everybody for places to look.

it is leaking while the car is running too, its just that the coolant is either getting blown away or just evaporating off the hot engine. when the vehicle is parked, the coolant gets a chance to drip drip drip without being disturbed. but it's definately leaking the entire time.

park over a big piece of cardboard. start the truck, in park, with the hood open, and just watch for drips. try to trace them to the source with a flashlight.

it is leaking while the car is running too, its just that the coolant is either getting blown away or just evaporating off the hot engine. when the vehicle is parked, the coolant gets a chance to drip drip drip without being disturbed. but it's definately leaking the entire time.

park over a big piece of cardboard. start the truck, in park, with the hood open, and just watch for drips. try to trace them to the source with a flashlight.

Good idea. I grab a big piece of cardboard from work tonight. Hopefully after running around tomorrow, I can get a chance to look at it some more, it really sucks to have a problem like this on your daily driver. I am now so paranoid I am keeping 2 gallons of extra coolant in my truck at all times.

Well, today I drove the truck about 30 miles to appointments. got home and kept it idling for 15-20 minutes looking for leaks, I could find absolutely nothing. I had a huge piece of cardboard underneath while it was running, and 1 hour after I was done to see if anything leaked, not a single drop. WTF? I don't like just forgetting about a problem because it seems to go away, but if I see no problem, what can I do?

Well, today I drove the truck about 30 miles to appointments. got home and kept it idling for 15-20 minutes looking for leaks, I could find absolutely nothing. I had a huge piece of cardboard underneath while it was running, and 1 hour after I was done to see if anything leaked, not a single drop. WTF? I don't like just forgetting about a problem because it seems to go away, but if I see no problem, what can I do?

Do you smell any coolant under the hood? It has a pretty distinctive smell. Also, I know this sounds wrong but Ford suggests stop leak in the service guide on most of their new cars when coolant is changed. Just a few tablets or a tube of powder, nothing extreme.
There is actually a motorcraft product for that purpose.

Every car that leaves the factory gets stop leak - to seal tiny gasket or casting imperfections. And also the aluminum-plastic radiators. I know this for a fact. A product that cost cents to prevent a 4 figure warranty repair. They did the math.

The dealer may have even added it to your truck... I stand by my opinion that it is crazy to tear apart an engine for a very tiny leak. Many GM cars are on the road solely because of stop leak. The problem is putting in more than the suggested amount, that is why it has a bad rap. I know people will disagree, but read the TSB below where they admit it is used both in production and service.

http://www.mustangforums.com/mustan...PREMIUM-GOLD-ENGINE-COOLANT-SERVICE-TIPS.html

Do you smell any coolant under the hood? It has a pretty distinctive smell. Also, I know this sounds wrong but Ford suggests stop leak in the service guide on most of their new cars when coolant is changed. Just a few tablets or a tube of powder, nothing extreme.
There is actually a motorcraft product for that purpose.

Every car that leaves the factory gets stop leak - to seal tiny gasket or casting imperfections. And also the aluminum-plastic radiators. I know this for a fact. A product that cost cents to prevent a 4 figure warranty repair. They did the math.

The dealer may have even added it to your truck... I stand by my opinion that it is crazy to tear apart an engine for a very tiny leak. Many GM cars are on the road solely because of stop leak. The problem is putting in more than the suggested amount, that is why it has a bad rap. I know people will disagree, but read the TSB below where they admit it is used both in production and service.

http://www.mustangforums.com/mustan...PREMIUM-GOLD-ENGINE-COOLANT-SERVICE-TIPS.html

I smell coolant when ever I start the truck, and when it is running. On start up I can smell it everywhere around, and inside the truck for about 30 seconds, after that I only smell it under the hood on the drivers side. I really want to stay away from Stopleak at all costs, I am fine with pulling off the intake manifold, replacing the rad, new hoses, ect.

there are a lot of places coolant can leak from. if it's not obvious, get yourself some floresent dye from the parts store and borrow/buy a black light. it'll pinpoint exactly where your leak is. no more guessing, no time/money wasted on parts that don't solve the problem.

I smell coolant when ever I start the truck, and when it is running. On start up I can smell it everywhere around, and inside the truck for about 30 seconds, after that I only smell it under the hood on the drivers side. I really want to stay away from Stopleak at all costs, I am fine with pulling off the intake manifold, replacing the rad, new hoses, ect.

Ok then, It is likely the intake manifold, less likely heads. Looking behind the wheel well at the rear of the engine may give you some clues. Try to stuff a paper towel under the radiator seam to eliminate that possibility.

If indeed the leak is an engine block or gasket seal leak and is an expensive fix? use radiator stop leak "bar's leaks brand". This stuff worked on my V6 5 years ago and is still holding. Do a complete flush before adding it then drive it for a few hours right away.

there are a lot of places coolant can leak from. if it's not obvious, get yourself some floresent dye from the parts store and borrow/buy a black light. it'll pinpoint exactly where your leak is. no more guessing, no time/money wasted on parts that don't solve the problem.

I completely forgot about the die option. I might do that. Thanks.

Ok then, It is likely the intake manifold, less likely heads. Looking behind the wheel well at the rear of the engine may give you some clues. Try to stuff a paper towel under the radiator seam to eliminate that possibility.

I try this as well. I want to diagnose this as much as possible before I spend money on parts. I want to actually fix it, not just throw parts at it. I am going to school to become a mechanic, I just hate mechanics who just throw parts at a situation, instead of actually fixing it right. I would prefer topping off the fluid every so often, and looking for leaks, instead of replacing random parts that are not broken.

If indeed the leak is an engine block or gasket seal leak and is an expensive fix? use radiator stop leak "bar's leaks brand". This stuff worked on my V6 5 years ago and is still holding. Do a complete flush before adding it then drive it for a few hours right away.

Thanks for the suggestion. whether or not it works, is not really my issue, I just don't think that there is a magic fix in a tube, or bottle for something that can be fixed right. Sort of like putting a band aid on something that needs stitches. but I do agree with everybody that in most cases problems happen from that stuff is because people use it wrong.

I recently replaced the cap on mine. Due to the fact that I noticed it was a Motorcraft one, and most likely on it since 1996, when it was new. I may rent a pressure tester to see under a certain pressure if I see anything leaking.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently replaced the cap on mine. Due to the fact that I noticed it was a Motorcraft one, and most likely on it since 1996, when it was new. I may rent a pressure tester to see under a certain pressure if I see anything leaking.

or for less than $20 you can go to AutoZone get some cooling system uv dye, a uv light and glasses and find the actual leaks source... but it's your time and money.

Back