New engine plans

JamesRolls5.0

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer 5.0
Hey everyone , haven't been on in a while due to hurricane sandy :(
anyways i was thinking of getting rid of my 1999 and moving on up to something else , but truth be told ive fallen in love with it,

Now for the issue and question, i have rear main seak leak AGAIN and once in a while it runs rough n a knock goes away and come back , i can assume its been treated like crap and abused for about 167,000 miles due to the condition it was in when i got it, i still feel like my truck has potential though, do you guys think i should rebuild it or just buy a new 5.0 and slap it in ?

a new motor would mean a new truck pretty much though right ?
( ive change just about everything else except the engine and tranny and i feel pot committed LOL )

and yes non stock 5.0s are a possibility

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as your intermittant knock it sound as if youve got an oil pressure issue, clogged sump, faulty filter or something of that nature. it may be worth your while to investigate before throwing a motor at it, unless youd like to do so regaurdless

Unless it is engine knock he is describing and not some other knocking type engine noise... In which case I would suspect a fault in the fuel system or an electrical fault. Neither of which would be fixed with an engine.

Lol you guys are so smart
I'd be lost with out this place
Just cleaned out the MAS and had the fuel filter replaced
runs much better thx a lot :) I can feel Ze Power :D
The only thing that remains is my beautiful trial of oil all over my drive way

Any fixes for the rear main seal ? It seems to never stop leaking . It's been replaced once already... :(

Will this require a rebuild ?
My engine seems plenty strong now and I really don't wanna toss it for a seal
It that part of the block or can it be changed ? I'm talking like the whole seal part lol idk if that makes sense

with 167,000 mi..just rebuild what u got or find an engine with less miles if u think that it has been abused all these years

If it comes down to your rear main knuckle up and knocker out. If you could back out your tranny compfortably and safely im sure your able to do the seal, if all else fails do all the hard work than holler for a buddy to do the seal so you can blame it on him if it fails ;)

Will a rebuild be like a new engine ? And the seal has been done once before :(

I'm seriously considering a brand spanking new engine if I can't change the entire seal assembly instead of the rubber ring / seal

a crate motor would be the best but more expensive..if u get the rebuild kit and take the block to the machine shop it will be cheaper..but that is a bunch of time and labor

Back