Climate Settings With Remote Start | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Climate Settings With Remote Start

With the OEM remote start I believe you can adjust the Settings for the Climate Control under "Convenience" , "Remote Start" , Climate Control" then set to either Auto or Off.

Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Remote Start on XLT

I just ordered my Explorer XLT which is to be delivered in the coming weeks. Being as this vehicle doesn't come with the Remote Start, I asked to have it installed by the dealer as an accessory, which I paid for separately. What I forgot to ask, was how it works. I know I can start the car, but is there a way to turn on the heat/AC and/or defrost without actually getting into the car after it's been started. It seems to me that not being able to do so sort of makes having remote start pointless. I don't want to leave the heat/AC on, as that puts extra wear on the engine to start (or so I've been told). I just want to keep my vehicle in top shape, yet have accessories that may be useful (especially having a newborn, this would make life a pinch easier).

Any thoughts, knowledge or feedback anyone can offer?

I just ordered my Explorer XLT which is to be delivered in the coming weeks. Being as this vehicle doesn't come with the Remote Start, I asked to have it installed by the dealer as an accessory, which I paid for separately. What I forgot to ask, was how it works. I know I can start the car, but is there a way to turn on the heat/AC and/or defrost without actually getting into the car after it's been started. It seems to me that not being able to do so sort of makes having remote start pointless. I don't want to leave the heat/AC on, as that puts extra wear on the engine to start (or so I've been told). I just want to keep my vehicle in top shape, yet have accessories that may be useful (especially having a newborn, this would make life a pinch easier).

Any thoughts, knowledge or feedback anyone can offer?

If they are installing the Ford remote start module it integrates w/ the vehicle's remote start settings. How you want the car to manage climate when you remotely start it is completely configurable, but there should be no "extra wear" on your engine for having it automatically adjust heat/ac.

You can look at the manual http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WODEXP/~MUS~LEN/42/13expom3e.pdf for more information about the climate options for remote start.

I recently took my 2011 Ford Ex LTD to my dealer with this exact complaint - The Remote Start does not activate the Heated Seats. In the Summer Time it did not activate the Cooled seats either.

The service tech investigated and informed me that the Explorer does NOT support heating of seats (or cooling) as part of the Remote Start function, even though it is a configurable setting on the left side of the dashboard settings.

I must admit this seemed like a strange answer but I would love confirmation from Ford as to whether the car is actually supposed to support this feature or if it is an oversight in the MFT.

My expectation is that it should be supported and functional - otherwise why is it in the manual?!

FordCustSrvc - any chance you can research and confirm the official Ford stance on the existence and support of this feature in 2011 Ford Explorers? And then share the specific guidance I should provide my service technician on the steps they need to take to correct this as it is getting quite cold here in Seattle.

I recently took my 2011 Ford Ex LTD to my dealer with this exact complaint - The Remote Start does not activate the Heated Seats. In the Summer Time it did not activate the Cooled seats either.

The service tech investigated and informed me that the Explorer does NOT support heating of seats (or cooling) as part of the Remote Start function, even though it is a configurable setting on the left side of the dashboard settings.

I must admit this seemed like a strange answer but I would love confirmation from Ford as to whether the car is actually supposed to support this feature or if it is an oversight in the MFT.

My expectation is that it should be supported and functional - otherwise why is it in the manual?!

FordCustSrvc - any chance you can research and confirm the official Ford stance on the existence and support of this feature in 2011 Ford Explorers? And then share the specific guidance I should provide my service technician on the steps they need to take to correct this as it is getting quite cold here in Seattle.
It is a feature I seldom use. However, when I did use them once last Winter, I'm sure the heated seats were ON and very warm. You have to remember that they are temperature driven. If the weather is only moderately warm or cool the cooled/heated seats are deactivated.

Peter

...FordCustSrvc - any chance you can research and confirm the official Ford stance on the existence and support of this feature in 2011 Ford Explorers? And then share the specific guidance I should provide my service technician on the steps they need to take to correct this as it is getting quite cold here in Seattle.

Sure thing, 95XLT_2011LTD! I've reached out to my technical advisor to get some additional information, but what I've read in the Owner's Manual so far indicates that as long as the temperature threshold is met, either the heated or cooled seats should activate with Remote Start.

It is a feature I seldom use. However, when I did use them once last Winter, I'm sure the heated seats were ON and very warm. You have to remember that they are temperature driven. If the weather is only moderately warm or cool the cooled/heated seats are deactivated.

Peter

Exactly right, Peter. There are temperature tolerances in effect for this feature, but I'm still going to gather some additional information to see if there are any other factors at play.

Have a great day!

Crystal

I think one of the problems is that it takes longer than the 10 or 15 minutes the car runs upon a remote start to warm up the air the car blows through the cabin and the seat. Also once the car is started by the driver, the heated seats turn off and the driver has to restart the heated seats manually.

I think one of the problems is that it takes longer than the 10 or 15 minutes the car runs upon a remote start to warm up the air the car blows through the cabin and the seat. Also once the car is started by the driver, the heated seats turn off and the driver has to restart the heated seats manually.
I only used remote start a couple of times last Winter and don't run it for more than 10 minutes. I usually just get in start it up wait no more than 30 seconds and away I go. Idling is not the best for an engine and it warms up much quicker when being driven. I can tell you that the 10 minute remote start warmed the inside and the seats to a temperature too warm for my liking.

Peter

Hey gang!

I wanted to update this thread with the information I received from my technical advisor.

The climate-controlled seats will only come on if these conditions are met: it must be enabled, the Remote Start is set to Auto for climate control, and the temperature tolerances are met. The temperature tolerances are 32 degrees and below for the heated seats; 80-85 degrees and above for the cooled seats.

If you have the Remote Start set to "Previous User Settings" instead of "Auto" for the climate control, the seats will not come on at all.

If you are experiencing any problems with your climate-controlled seats, please make an appointment at your dealership so they can inspect.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

Crystal

Hey gang!

I wanted to update this thread with the information I received from my technical advisor.

The climate-controlled seats will only come on if these conditions are met: it must be enabled, the Remote Start is set to Auto for climate control, and the temperature tolerances are met. The temperature tolerances are 32 degrees and below for the heated seats; 80-85 degrees and above for the cooled seats.

If you have the Remote Start set to "Previous User Settings" instead of "Auto" for the climate control, the seats will not come on at all.

If you are experiencing any problems with your climate-controlled seats, please make an appointment at your dealership so they can inspect.

Thanks!

Crystal

Can we put in a request for a user configurable temperature to have the seats come on at? In southern California 45 degrees often feels like 25 would to people that live in other areas of the country, it would be nice to have the seat heaters/coolers come on at convenient temperatures for the climate the person is currently adjusted to.

Can we put in a request for a user configurable temperature to have the seats come on at? In southern California 45 degrees often feels like 25 would to people that live in other areas of the country, it would be nice to have the seat heaters/coolers come on at convenient temperatures for the climate the person is currently adjusted to.
45 degrees F is 'shorts' weather! :D

Peter

Hey gang!

Thanks!

Crystal
Is the remote start setting on the left side of the speedometer cluster...I don't remember?

Hey there, 13Sport!

"Cool" idea! :D

You can share your idea on http://social.Ford.com under the Your Ideas tab. Once you've submitted your suggestion, come back here and post a link so we can all vote on it!

Is the remote start setting on the left side of the speedometer cluster...I don't remember?

Hi sgparnes,

If equipped, your Remote Start settings will be visible on the instrument cluster on the left. You can get specific instructions in your Owner's Manual, available for download here: https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage. I don't see which year Explorer you have, but for the 2012 Owner's Manual, Second Printing, instructions are available on page 34.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Crystal

As Crystal indicated, it is in the left hand screen, Vehicle Settings/Vehicle/Remote Start.

Peter

You can share your idea on http://social.Ford.com under the Your Ideas tab. Once you've submitted your suggestion, come back here and post a link so we can all vote on it!

No offense to you, but I have very little faith in "Ideas" on social.ford.com. There have been many "Ideas" there with plenty of interest and I see very little get implemented. I would have thought that customer service agents have a direct way to put in bug reports and/or feature requests for customers. I'm kind of disappointed with the whole "submit your ideas" concept.

I see this thread was posted in Oct 2011, and it doesn't appear Ford has done anything about it. As temps start to drop, I have been driving myself crazy trying to get this feature to work. I see the temp threshold is 32*F but we have been hitting 34* - friggin cold for California but I guess not cold enough. C'mon FORD!!!

I see this thread was posted in Oct 2011, and it doesn't appear Ford has done anything about it. As temps start to drop, I have been driving myself crazy trying to get this feature to work. I see the temp threshold is 32*F but we have been hitting 34* - friggin cold for California but I guess not cold enough. C'mon FORD!!!
Even though I seldom use the heated seats in the dead of Winter when temps fall to 0*F or lower, I think that the temperature at which the seats come on with remote start should be programmable by the driver.
I believe the reason Ford has not done anything about it is because they do not see it as an issue.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The problem Ford has here (as I see it) is the lack of communication back to its customers. The quickest way to lose all creditability is to ask for feedback/suggestions and then do nothing about it (or communicate nothing about them).

Ford should either:
1) Stop asking for feedback/suggestions (one-way communication is not effective and creates client frustration as they feel their voices are not being heard)...OR
2) Provide updates to their customers letting them know they have taken the top 3 suggestions/improvements as well as what specific defects from the last/previous releases and plan to incorporate them into the next release targeted for xxxx (insert date here....Q1, 2013).

Ford could significantly improve both the client dissatisfaction as well as build credibility by publishing a targeted update release schedule too. I think this gets back to poor communication.

Back