Had a starting issue today. Couple questions... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Had a starting issue today. Couple questions...

jec1521

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
Hey guys,

So I got in the truck this morning (2003 XLS with 90,000 miles) and the truck wouldnt even turn over. Just one click and thats it. So I tried to jump start the battery with one of those boxes. It didn't work right away, but after letting it sit on the battery and charge it for a few minutes, it started up.

Now, this battery is not the original. I replaced it a year or so ago. I have noticed lately that sometimes the truck would have trouble starting up every once in a while, but always did. I also had a gas station test the battery, and it came out ok.

I guess my question is, do you guys think this is a battery issue, or a starter issue? Or maybe even something else? It doesnt seem like it having any trouble after jump starting it. Would jump starting help aid in starting a truck with a bad starter? Or, since it did eventually start, does that mean the starter is OK?

Thanks

I would check all the battery and starter connections,but it sounds like a bad battery to me.

Hey guys,

I guess my question is, do you guys think this is a battery issue, or a starter issue? Or maybe even something else? It doesnt seem like it having any trouble after jump starting it. Would jump starting help aid in starting a truck with a bad starter? Or, since it did eventually start, does that mean the starter is OK?

Thanks

Yes, I would say a battery issue. If your current battery needs a jump start to get the vehicle started, then your battery is bad or your alternator isn't charging the battery properly during use. A lot of Explorer problems can be related to a bad or dead battery, especially starting problems. I would start by getting the alternator tested (at a Parts store for free) to see if it is charging your battery properly while it runs and if it is charging the battery properly, then try getting a new battery with at least 800 CCA"S (cold cranking amps) or higher and go from there. I'm no auto electrician by any means, but I don't see a jump start helping to turn over a bad starter. If a starter is bad, it's bad! BTW, I also agree on checking that the current battery connections are tight and clean and you might want to check the water level in the battery. Use "Distilled water" when topping off a low battery.

After being on this site for a few years, and owning an '02 Explorere since brand new, I can say that the problem you have mentioned, is not new. I had the same problem. I found that it was the alt. I repleced the alt, and the fairly new battery that was destroyed by the bad alt. And, have since been fine. The alternators do go out in these vehicles quite frequently. Just replace the alt, and battery. You will be fine.

Back