KanewtZ

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer LTD
Hi all,

Own a 2013 Limited...

I put on winter tires/rims, however, I have never recieved an error station my truck does not recognize my TPMS....so I ask, does the 2013 Ex LTD have this option?

Is there a way I can check that it is turned on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all,

Own a 2013 Limited...

I put on winter tires/rims, however, I have never recieved an error station my truck does not recognize my TPMS....so I ask, does the 2013 Ex LTD have this option?

Is there a way I can check that it is turned on?

Yes your Explorer has TPMS. The sensor/transmitter is on the valve stem. Did you use the OEM valve stems that came with the car? If you did, then one way to test is to let the air out of one of the tires. Not ideal, but should test the functionality.

If you used non-TPMS valve stems on your winter setup then it's been said that proximity to your summer setup can cause the system in the car to read "all is well". Sounds hokey. Maybe you can let the air out of one the summer tires if is stored near where you park.

Tpms is required by law. All vehicles have it.

Yes your Explorer has TPMS. The sensor/transmitter is on the valve stem. Did you use the OEM valve stems that came with the car? If you did, then one way to test is to let the air out of one of the tires. Not ideal, but should test the functionality.

If you used non-TPMS valve stems on your winter setup then it's been said that proximity to your summer setup can cause the system in the car to read "all is well". Sounds hokey. Maybe you can let the air out of one the summer tires if is stored near where you park.

I used non-TPMS valve stems on my winter setup....however, my regular tires are stored approx. 5+ kms away from my home.

Hence, why I asked this question.

Tpms is required by law. All vehicles have it.

Since when? I've had plenty of vehicles w/out TPMS over the past 10 years

edit:

n/m just looked it up, crazy I had no idea (2007)

In the United States, the United States Department Of Transportation (NHTSA) released the FMVSS No. 138, which requires an installation of a Tire Pressure Monitoring System to all new passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, and buses that have a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 4,536 kg (10,000 lbs.) or less, except those vehicles with dual wheels on an axle, as of 2007.

I used non-TPMS valve stems on my winter setup....however, my regular tires are stored approx. 5+ kms away from my home.

TPMS is not required in Canada, so it's possible that Canadian Explorers don't have it. Not sure though.

TPMS is not required in Canada, so it's possible that Canadian Explorers don't have it. Not sure though.

Didn't even notice that he is in Canada.

I take back my previous comment.

My 2011 Limited has it. (Proved by a nail in the tire.)

Also keep in mind that some sensors are banded to the wheel as opposed to being part of the stem. Not sure what the Explorer uses.

I have noticed that my 2013 XLT doesn't squeal about the tire pressure until its down a decent ways. If I recall the alert came up on the gauge cluster when I lowered the pressure into the lower 20s.

Hence, why I asked this question.

Hi KanewtZ,

From what I've been reading in the third printing of the 2013 Owner's Manual, your vehicle should be equipped with the TPMS. (You can download a copy of the Owner's Manual here: https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage) If the TPMS system is malfunctioning or incompatible with your winter tires, the TPMS light would be flashing. You can review the instructions for changing a tire equipped with the TPMS on page 387 to ensure that you didn't accidentally damage a sensor.

Also keep in mind that some sensors are banded to the wheel as opposed to being part of the stem. Not sure what the Explorer uses.

I have noticed that my 2013 XLT doesn't squeal about the tire pressure until its down a decent ways. If I recall the alert came up on the gauge cluster when I lowered the pressure into the lower 20s.

Thanks for adding to the discussion, generaltso and nnichols!

Crystal

Hi KanewtZ,

From what I've been reading in the third printing of the 2013 Owner's Manual, your vehicle should be equipped with the TPMS. (You can download a copy of the Owner's Manual here: https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage) If the TPMS system is malfunctioning or incompatible with your winter tires, the TPMS light would be flashing. You can review the instructions for changing a tire equipped with the TPMS on page 387 to ensure that you didn't accidentally damage a sensor.

Thanks for adding to the discussion, generaltso and nnichols!

Crystal

Crystal,

Thanks for your input. I didn't damage a sensor as I bought completely new rims/tires and installed them as winters.

What baffles me is that my Explorer isn't giving me an error saying my sensors aren't found. It is acting as if they are communicating when they are quite the distance away from the vehicle.

I was expecting an error stating that they aren't found or not communicating.

Crystal,

Thanks for your input. I didn't damage a sensor as I bought completely new rims/tires and installed them as winters.

What baffles me is that my Explorer isn't giving me an error saying my sensors aren't found. It is acting as if they are communicating when they are quite the distance away from the vehicle.

I was expecting an error stating that they aren't found or not communicating.

This sounds like a problem with the TPMS system. I would have it checked in the spring when you switch back to the stock tires and rims. Meanwhile, you won't be bothered by warning messages.

I bought TPMS sensors for my winter rims off eBay and was confident that they are working until I read of your experience. I'll need to check or at least keep a close eye on the tire pressure.

I also put on winter tires with out tpms and did not get a code. I did drive the car about 50 or 75 miles and now I have the code all the time. Paper cover plastic dummy light.

After going to the mall last night with my wife, we went to leave and it threw me the code saying there is an error with my TPMS and the symbol stays on the dash (thought it doesn't bother me).

Just wanted to update everyone.

After going to the mall last night with my wife, we went to leave and it threw me the code saying there is an error with my TPMS and the symbol stays on the dash (thought it doesn't bother me).

Just wanted to update everyone.

Thanks for the update, KanewtZ!

Crystal

Back