Volt Meter looking odd (PIC)

acschilling

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
This is my battery gauge after about an hour of highway driving. New battery and 10 month old alternator. Does this look weird, seem high to anyone else?

Attachments

• IMAG0145.jpg
    IMAG0145.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 326

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Without knowing what your real voltage is, I'd say the regulator is out. Could be the gauge though.

There might be an internal short in the regulator causing it to apply full field voltage to the rotor. Does the needle fly over even more when you step on the throttle pedal? This could cause a new battery to fry.

I'd stick a real voltmeter on to see what you really have. I'm not very trusting of the vehicle gauge. I may be a little off here, but I think a battery at 100% charge with the engine off should be 12.7 volts. It may read over 14 volts while the engine is running, but should at least be about 13.8 volts.

I've had a regulator go bad and leave the alternator unregulated.
Unregulated the voltage can get to around 17 volts which is enough to ruin an LCD screen.
Your gauge is probably working fine, but you need to get a voltmeter for a second opinion.

Happened on a school bus I was driving. That strong sulfur smell was two giant batteries boiling over. The mechanics at the bus barn were not happy.

I am Using a the Stock Voltage and a Aftermarket Sunpro Unit in the Far left Air vent Due to my Audio System , And My Stock voltage Reads High When on the Hwy for more than 45 Mins , but The Supro Read A Steady 14 ! . The Stock Gauge Tends to bounce with the Slightest Drop or Raise in voltage in my Experience !.

Back