• Register Today It's free!

2012 Limited with Steering Issues

ncgirl_2009

Reaction score
City, State
Harrisburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
Even though there appears to be many complaints/issues with the Explorer (not as many as the 2011, which is why I waited) I have lucky with mine and have been very happy...especially after the My Ford Touch update. However, last week I noticed some issues with the steering or something that just didn't feel 'quite right' with it. It has progressively gotten worse over the past few days and was dropped off at the dealership this morning. Anybody else have steering issues with the 2012? My research indicates some with the 2011 but not the 2012? Basically when sitting still or moving at a slow speed turning the wheel is quite noisey. It almost sounds like tires on wet pavement...even though that isn't the case. When making a turn the steering wheel feels as if it is 'hanging' or getting stuck for a brief second. Not warning lights are on but in the 4-5 mile ride from the dealership to my office the tech who drove me definitely felt it as well. Grr..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Even though there appears to be many complaints/issues with the Explorer (not as many as the 2011, which is why I waited) I have lucky with mine and have been very happy...especially after the My Ford Touch update. However, last week I noticed some issues with the steering or something that just didn't feel 'quite right' with it. It has progressively gotten worse over the past few days and was dropped off at the dealership this morning. Anybody else have steering issues with the 2012? My research indicates some with the 2011 but not the 2012? Basically when sitting still or moving at a slow speed turning the wheel is quite noisey. It almost sounds like tires on wet pavement...even though that isn't the case. When making a turn the steering wheel feels as if it is 'hanging' or getting stuck for a brief second. Not warning lights are on but in the 4-5 mile ride from the dealership to my office the tech who drove me definitely felt it as well. Grr..

Hi ncgirl_2009,

Getting your vehicle to the dealership is a great first step. I want to get your regional customer service manager involved by escalating your case. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get your information into the right hands and ensure your CSM contacts you promptly.

Thanks!

Crystal

As a follow up to my post yesterday, power steering rack is being replaced (which seems to be the issue on the 2011) and currently the dealership is waiting on the part. I'm glad I took it in when I did because I had no idea the problem was so bad that I didn't need to be driving it. I would have thought warning lights would have indicated such a serious issue. Small dealership had no loaners so I'm without my Explorer...aka Stella :)

As a follow up to my post yesterday, power steering rack is being replaced (which seems to be the issue on the 2011) and currently the dealership is waiting on the part. I'm glad I took it in when I did because I had no idea the problem was so bad that I didn't need to be driving it. I would have thought warning lights would have indicated such a serious issue. Small dealership had no loaners so I'm without my Explorer...aka Stella :)

Hey ncgirl_2009,

I responded to your PM, so you might want to check your inbox for my message.

Have a great day!

Crystal

Interesting! I should take mine in as well.

Over the last few weeks I've noticed something "just wasn't right." Because I've been on the go lately, I took my car to Firestone for a quick check on the alignment but everything was ok.

At low speeds if I'm turning the wheel, it feels like there's a slight tug in the direction I'm turning. And it also requires more effort to return the wheel back to the center position.

I've also noticed my arms are tired after driving for long periods. I've noticed I have to use more effort to steer.

I should take my car in to get it checked at well. ncgirl_2009, did you have similar issues as noted above? Thanks.

Eric

Over the last few weeks I've noticed something "just wasn't right." Because I've been on the go lately, I took my car to Firestone for a quick check on the alignment but everything was ok.

At low speeds if I'm turning the wheel, it feels like there's a slight tug in the direction I'm turning. And it also requires more effort to return the wheel back to the center position.

I've also noticed my arms are tired after driving for long periods. I've noticed I have to use more effort to steer.

I should take my car in to get it checked at well. ncgirl_2009, did you have similar issues as noted above? Thanks.

Eric

Hi Eric-

The part you are describing as when you make a turn and the wheel is resistant to coming back to the center position sounds like what mine was doing but to be honest I only drive about 10 miles round trip to work and back each day so I wouldn't be able to comment on the part about being tired. If I were you, I would definitely take it in. One Wed or Thurs of one week I noticed something weird on my way home but I thought it could have been just my imagination. It stayed in the garage all weekend and the following week I noticed almost everyday. On Friday, it seemed to be way worse and I took it in on Monday morning. It is still at the dealership because they don't have the part. I'm just lucky that I took it in even though my explanation was that something was 'just not right' because I was heading 7 hours away this weekend with it and I could have easily been stranded. Keep me posted!

ncgirl_2009 -

I have an appointment this Wednesday so I'll keep you updated.

Also let me know when you get your Ex back if the problem was resolved. Thanks!

-Eric

Hi Eric-

The part you are describing as when you make a turn and the wheel is resistant to coming back to the center position sounds like what mine was doing but to be honest I only drive about 10 miles round trip to work and back each day so I wouldn't be able to comment on the part about being tired. If I were you, I would definitely take it in. One Wed or Thurs of one week I noticed something weird on my way home but I thought it could have been just my imagination. It stayed in the garage all weekend and the following week I noticed almost everyday. On Friday, it seemed to be way worse and I took it in on Monday morning. It is still at the dealership because they don't have the part. I'm just lucky that I took it in even though my explanation was that something was 'just not right' because I was heading 7 hours away this weekend with it and I could have easily been stranded. Keep me posted!

I've also noticed my arms are tired after driving for long periods. I've noticed I have to use more effort to steer...

Hi EKY,

I want to extend you the same courtesy that I did to ncgril_2009 and get your case escalated to your regional customer service manager. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get the ball rolling!

Hi Eric-

Thanks for helping out EKY, ncgirl_2009! Yet another reason why this community is awesome: people helping out people! :D

Crystal

ncgirl_2009: I got my car back and they couldn't find any problems with it. They said it's electric steering so they hooked the car up to the computer and there were zero faults. I'm beginning to think it's my imagination, but I swear the car is much more difficult to drive now than before. How did they find out about your problem?

Have you received your EX back yet? Please let me know. Thank you!

-Eric

Hi Eric-

Hi Eric,
I don't know if mine showed up with an error on the computer or not actually. When I took it in you could hear something even weird sounding on the inside of the car when you moved the steering wheel back and forth...almost like someting was rubbing. That was only part of the problem I guess. At any rate, they had my car for a little over a week from ordering the part, receiving it, and the repair and realignment. I will say that originally they told me the part wouldn't be in until January so I was very unhappy. However, thanks to Ford customer service (initiated through this forum) the part was expedited and was here over 3 weeks earlier than what the dealership anticipated.

I would definitely watch yours closely. My 2012 was built in 2011. I actually took ownership in August of 2011 and it is my understanding that the steering is a big issue with the 2011 and apparently some of the earlier 2012's.

Good luck! I do have mine back and loving it again!

...I will say that originally they told me the part wouldn't be in until January so I was very unhappy. However, thanks to Ford customer service (initiated through this forum) the part was expedited and was here over 3 weeks earlier than what the dealership anticipated... I do have mine back and loving it again!

Hi ncgirl_2009,

I'm so glad to hear that things worked out for you! If you ever need my assistance in the future, don't hesitate to ask.

Crystal

ncgirl_2009 - I'll keep an eye on it. Ford was unable to diagnose it as noted in my prior post.

I'm wondering now if it might be the tires? Who knows. I'll have them re check it when I take it back in a few weeks. (My rear cupholder behind the center console snapped off).

Thanks for the tip about the 2011's. Like you...I took delivery in 2011. (November to be exact).

-Eric

Hi Eric,
I don't know if mine showed up with an error on the computer or not actually. When I took it in you could hear something even weird sounding on the inside of the car when you moved the steering wheel back and forth...almost like someting was rubbing. That was only part of the problem I guess. At any rate, they had my car for a little over a week from ordering the part, receiving it, and the repair and realignment. I will say that originally they told me the part wouldn't be in until January so I was very unhappy. However, thanks to Ford customer service (initiated through this forum) the part was expedited and was here over 3 weeks earlier than what the dealership anticipated.

I would definitely watch yours closely. My 2012 was built in 2011. I actually took ownership in August of 2011 and it is my understanding that the steering is a big issue with the 2011 and apparently some of the earlier 2012's.

Good luck! I do have mine back and loving it again!

Back