• Register Today It's free!

Rust!!

DavidGXP

Reaction score
City, State
Renton, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ecplorer Sport
I bought this truck last March with 127,000 miles after searching high and low looking for a 2dr 4x4 manual 5spd Explorer sport, so when I came across this one, I had to have it. The person I bought it from had the front brakes, ball joints and tires replaced. The color is what I fell in love with:)

I paid 2500 and have invested about 1,000.

The biggest challenge was replacing the rocker panels. The plastic trim, and rocker panel backing plate did a wonderful job of trapping road salt and debris (thank you Utah), which allowed the panels to return to the earth.

After doing a little searching I decided to say "F it" I couldn't do anymore harm. The pisserchannel on youtube gave me motivation.

I ordered some replacement panels, and cut out the rusty panels after removing the trim. (The trim actually blew off while driving down the road, and I ran it over LMAO).
2012-04-25_20-19-24_222_zpsfad6aac4.jpg

2012-04-27_18-29-21_209_zps33ef09b0.jpg

This was one side
2012-04-26_20-01-08_239_zps0e9d82ab.jpg

Once the panels were cut, and the new panels fitted. I used a wire wheel and Ospho to remove the remaining rust. OSPHO kicks a lot of ass, and turned the remaining rust into a hard iron primmer.

I had to cut the dogleg out and fab a patch panel from staginess steel
2012-04-30_15-50-38_853_zpscc8e7dea.jpg

The panels were bonded with pop rivets, JB weld and seem sealer. I coated everything front and back with Hammerite and Hurculiner.

2012-04-25_15-41-54_566_zps7fca9e7d.jpg

2012-04-30_18-04-17_43_zpsa6db8b32.jpg

2012-05-21_10-24-06_813_zps2ccbd53a.jpg

After I finished the rockers, I moved to the rear of the truck. The frame and spare tire bracket was thrashed. I used my grinder, and OSPHO, to remove the rust.
2012-04-18_08-16-15_662_zps672a7ba9.jpg

2012-04-18_08-16-19_579_zps080a0af5.jpg

2012-04-24_10-58-03_710_zps9a16c5c1.jpg

With 90% of the rust removed, I painted everything with epoxy primmer and hammerite. I decided to replace the shocks, sway bar end links, shackles, filler neck, rotors, calipers, and pads, since everything was rusted out, and looked like crap.
2012-04-25_17-17-50_448-1_zps12855f12.jpg
Looks good for now!:D

Once I felt comfortable with the rear I inspected the front and found the core support to be rusted, so
I removed the front clip and replaced it. Big job!
2012-05-16_20-05-40_342-1_zpsa7e6ca9d.jpg

2012-05-17_21-44-25_406_zps0e7ed69b.jpg

2012-05-18_11-03-57_399-1_zps05aea886.jpg

2012-05-18_12-12-46_212-1_zps045986aa.jpg

2012-05-21_10-24-01_199-1_zps623e01d6.jpg

The rest of the frame and chassis have been treated with a gallon of clear waxoyl after being pressure washed a few times.

The key thing with rust is that it will always return. It is cancer, and has to be cutout or treated. I did my best at cutting everything that was bad. I had to patch panel the dogleg, and the passenger side wheel opening lip.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Damn, that a lot of work. But good work as well. I have some of that same issues that I need to address. Thanks for the sort of guide.

It looks very good.

Looks good. Just did my rockers and wheel wells too. Makes ya feel amazing knowing your vehicle looks great and YOU did it. That and even though redneck weight removal is a great idea...no one likes the colour of rust covering the bottom of their ride.

Looks good. Just did my rockers and wheel wells too. Makes ya feel amazing knowing your vehicle looks great and YOU did it. That and even though redneck weight removal is a great idea...no one likes the colour of rust covering the bottom of their ride.

I can't stand the sight of rust. It's just something that we all have to live with. I left everything that had a coating of surface rust alone. Surface rust is supposed to be good rust, especially when coated with oil.

Any pics of your handy work?

David,

Nice Work!! yes the rust is inevitable in the salt states. I always thought when the time comes to do this I would have to take the Herculiner all the way up to the side door trim. Looks alot better where you made the break! Gives me and others with Sports some good info/ideas. Did you have to Frankenstein mod the rocker panels or did you find ones for the sport?? I have only found ones thru LMC Truck for 4 doors.

Thanks for posting.

David,

Nice Work!! yes the rust is inevitable in the salt states. I always thought when the time comes to do this I would have to take the Herculiner all the way up to the side door trim. Looks alot better where you made the break! Gives me and others with Sports some good info/ideas. Did you have to Frankenstein mod the rocker panels or did you find ones for the sport?? I have only found ones thru LMC Truck for 4 doors.

Thanks for posting.

The panels fit with minor trimming. They are made to slip over the factory rust buckets, or you can do what I did, and cut the old ones off with a cut off wheel. I traced everything first; using the new panels a template. (magic marker) I tried to leave a 1/4" off metal, so the new panels would have something to bond to. The doglegs are not available, so you will have to make a patch panel. "CUT THE ROT OUT" the good metal can be ground to steel and trated with a rust converter like OSPHO OSPHO will only work on mild rust. Using it on scale rust/rot will do nothing!

Once the panels are mocked, use some vise grips to hold the new panel in place, and drill a few holes in the pinch weld portion (weather stripping channel) and pop rivet. I was going to weld them on, but decided that I would like to have the option to remove them. JB weld, and seam sealer works pretty dam good.

I didn't fab inner rockers. I just cut them in a straight line. This will prevent future rust. Besides, the Rangers don't have inner rockers:eek: The rockers, and panel trim are supported with some 1/4" brackets that I made, so everything is sturdy.

I wish I would have taken some photos of the rust before I started. It was bad:(

I just put in a new heater core, and replaced the blend door. I also replaced the A/C dryer, and recharged the A/C. Point.... I would rather fix the rockers, then pull the dash all over again.

Future plans my include a small front mount turbo:D

:usa:

I bought the panels off of E Bay. They were for the Sport!

Thanks David-I will check the panels out. Assume you drilled holes in the panels also for the trim to attatch to. That is where I noticed rust originally. Almost makes me want to remove the trim, and install rockers without holes. Sport wouldnt look right without it though.

Any pics of your handy work?

Here's the link the the photobucket where I have a few pictures of the body work. Unfortunately most of the pictures i took from before the rust removal are gone...it was BAD. Had to completely re-make the passenger side dog leg and fix the crap job on the drivers side a previous owner did. I'm happy with the way it turned out. Don't care about the two tone paint, as long as there is no rust! New tailgate is still on hold as well as a new driver floor pan. But, all in good time.

http://s1242.beta.photobucket.com/user/d_mann2/library/Body Work

Looks good! Its nice not having rust anymore isnt it! I just need a new rear bumper now. I did my rockers and dog legs a few years back and still no rust. I used galvanized steel to make my dog legs and inner rockers so I don't expect rust there anytime soon!

For reattaching my rocker trim i only used like 3 holes rather than all 15 or however many. Then it clips into the front piece and screws to the rear flare. On the bottom lip I used 3 beam clamp to hold it tight.

I went up to the body line with bed liner. My pics from my rust repair are here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342936

Again, looks great!

Awesome work!

I need to do the same for my Sport!

In the process of replacing my front clip right now and later on my rocker panels... Great work btw and oh yea how did you get the decals on the support? I tried taking mine off and the one ripped and was unusable

Looks good. I have the same problem with rust; I cannot stand it. You have more bodywork skill than I do, I wound up taking mine to a bodyshop for rust repair and painting.

If your looking for a quick and easy fix, I have it. I have aluminium panels bent to precise specs, and cover up that ugly rust. Makes it looks new again. Self tapping screws hold it in place. Popped your plastic trim back on, and your done.

YOUTUBE LINK -------> http://youtu.be/QP8z3z6Eetc
Ebay link----> http://delivr.com/1j1dp_q

OOOOOOOOOOOOOO-1-1_zps49adb749.jpg

KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK-1_zps971e95ec.jpg

LLLLLLLLLLLLLL-1_zpsc4679b12.gif

This is a rust repair panel. It covers up the rust. No structural advantages. Not for collision, its for rust. Quick cover up. Allows you to attach your plastic trim back to your rocker.

A year later everything looks good. I just installed 1.5" shackles and did the TT. I also installed some 31x10.50 bfg all terrain tires with new acola knock offs

A year later everything looks good. I just installed 1.5" shackles and did the TT. I also installed some 31x10.50 bfg all terrain tires with new acola knock offs

you did a great job, good to hear its still holding up. any new pictures?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you did a great job, good to hear its still holding up. any new pictures?

Before lift
IMAG02601_zpsc43b8dc7.jpg

All Clean
IMAG01871_zps44f65a1d.jpg

After lift
IMAG02781_zps8ad42019.jpg

IMAG03011_zpsb84c4321.jpg

The corner with the bubbling is FORD sealer and is not rust or paint pealing. The brownish color is oil that I sparyed over the frame mixed with wax
IMAG03061_zpsddec5407.jpg

Next on my list is a winch bumper and winch:D I need to finish replacing my cracked head first!!

Back