• Register Today It's free!

98 explorer 4X4 fluid refill

zierk0310

Reaction score
City, State
Rogers AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer XLT 4X4
Hello ALl I'm new to the site, and I really used it a lot yesterday. Thanks to all for the useful information, on removing the pan.

Now for my question for the experts. Most of the forum discussions said that the refill would take about 3 1/2 to 4 quarts, which is pretty much the amount of Mercon V that the spares shop gave me. Now that I've decanted the old oil into containers it looks like I have about 7 quarts, plus probably about a quart or more that ended up on the floor and in my clothes.

I've added all 4 quarts to the system, and even after cycling through the gears, it does not show up on the dip stick until the car has been standing for about 10 minutes and then it bearly makes the bottom of the stick.

When I cycled drive and also reverse, it did not engage until reves reached about 2500. So the question really is do I need to add another 3 to 4 quarts before I get normal operation, and should I just throw it all in, or do it gradually?

From the service manual:
98 Explorer/Mountaineer — 5R55E (4x4) 4.0L 9.8 liters 10.3 qts MERCON ® V; XT-5-QM

The dipstick is the ONLY accurate way of checking. Level ground, engine hot and running, in park.
A clean paper towel for visibility and add as needed. Do not overfill and use the cross hatch marks.

Thanks for the help. it took 6 1/2 quarts.

Back