Winch Bumper Project | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winch Bumper Project

Interesting... I was looking at one of these a couple months ago. Surprising that it doesnt fit right.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Clusterpup- Just wondering if you had plans or put in a skid plate?

I do have plans for a skid plate but I haven't even installed my winch yet, I have too little spare time.

Would ya'll believe I still haven't put a winch on my bumper yet? I ended up getting a second one, this new one is a Smittybuilt waterproof 8000lb with synthetic rope. I was worried about someone stealing the winch so I havent installed it. Now I got me a bolt that requires a special key to remove it, like wheel locks, and now I'm worried someone will just unbolt my whole bumper. I'm ordering an alarm with a 2 way fob. :scratch:

I found this video, it's a great idea. So great in fact I did it to my winch bolts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvcGsUVyBnI

Here's a before and after picture of my winch bolt covers. You could easily do this to any bolts to secure anything else you need to.

IMG_0981.jpg

IMG_1263.jpg

IMG_1260.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

I know I'm bringing up the dead here, but I'm curious to know how this project turned out. I'm slowly working through the things I'd like to get done on my Trac and a steel bumper is one of them. I really like the low profile look of this one.

Not sure what happened with Clusterpup, he's been MIA for a while now along with a bunch of other members. The bumper was from RLC welding, James is a forum vendor.

Yeah, I've got their website bookmarked. I've got a friend who has one of their bumpers on his XJ and I really like the quality of it. It's just a matter of figuring out how much fab work I'd have to do myself to get the Explorer version to fit and look good.

Just call James and give him the measurements for the ST's frame rails. That's the main differences for mounting is the frame widths. He can weld the brackets onto the bumper for the ST's width instead of the Explorers.

That's an amazingly simple and excellent idea. I'm kinda bummed that I didn't think that way. Thanks!

Back