How to replace the exterior door handle. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to replace the exterior door handle.

dsamoy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Eddie Bauer 4wd
Can someone explain how I can replace the driver's side exterior door handle on my 97 ford explorer myself? I have already ordered the new door handle, but just need to know how to do it w/o seriously damaging my vehicle. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

Welcome to the forum!

I think you have to remove the inner door panel. Should be fairly easy form there.

there are two rivets that you will have to drill out. on the inside of the door, there is a threaded clip that holds the linkage in, you will have to open it (it opens like a door, it may be a little stubborn, but it will open). then put your new handle on, and then the linkage back in, and snap the clip back in place. you will need one of the bigger pop rivet guns because the rivets are 1/4 ones. also, when you go to rivet the handle back on, tape some cardboard under the handle. that way if the rivet gun drops after it snaps off the rivet, it will not scratch the door. hope this helps you.

I have a 2000 explorer. The original outside drivers door handle lasted about 100k and I had to replace it. I'm sure I did the repair correctly in terms of drilling the rivets out and getting the linkage lined up properly. However, I've had to since replace the handle twice within 20k miles. I've been using a new aftermarket replacement (Dorman) handle from one of the well know wholesalers. Here's my question... does anyone know if the dealer supplied handle is of better quality than the aftermarket handle? thanks

Back