Definitive Cars - 13' Sport Project Build | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Definitive Cars - 13' Sport Project Build

DefinitiveCars

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ex Sport
Hey guys,

About a month ago I picked up a Tuxedo Black on Black Explorer Sport for my wife. Actually never got around to taking any before pictures or pics of when we got the car. So the first pics you will get will be with some mods already done.

Heres the mod list for now.
Done Already
  • Tinted Reverse Light Section
  • Reflectors Wrapped in Matte Black Vinyl
  • Tinted LED Mirror Markers
  • Plastidipped Door Handles

Soon
  • Kensun 8000k HID Headlight Conversion
  • Kensun 3000k HID Foglight Conversion
  • Full Vehicle LED conversion
  • Tinted Font Windows
  • Tinted Brake Light Section
  • Tinted 3rd Brake Light
  • Shark Fin Antennae
  • Tinted Orange Headlight Section

Some goodies for the Ex and started some LED's tonight. This weekend I will be redoing the door handles, tinting the windows, completing interior and puddle LED's, tinting front and rear lights and doing the HID conversion. More to come.

Goodies
00713858-5659-47f6-a24b-a72964d73c31_zps3942d623.jpg

HID's 8000k Top, 3000k Bottom
c601d498-016c-427f-9987-9e73607afb33_zps12bc4c0f.jpg

6694ca1b-0fde-47aa-b319-89a79702c2e1_zps55ead5c2.jpg

a73a4560-1824-4672-9b7b-023167054873_zps5e399c19.jpg

6ae67dfa-fa78-487c-9718-895b01aa11e8_zps0dbc4060.jpg

399b3f89-55c2-474a-b7f2-ba958b10f4e9_zps5d417e66.jpg

b779426e-1437-4d7b-9780-3b01ac9c4fba_zpse75b33ea.jpg

LED Interior Lights
5fb715f6-6194-4287-b06f-fcbd6755a5f9_zpsd2dfdc6f.jpg

2031a49e-8c42-4ee6-a78a-e43a9b8aaa00_zps4d44db5f.jpg

Plastidip Handles
fb656c2d-15bb-40f2-bfaf-569a965b45a2_zpsae2e321b.jpg

61b4cfe4-a9c9-47c0-b912-29ea5eaa5bda_zps516852b0.jpg

More to come...

D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Loving the LED interior lights so far!!! They are awesome. Cant wait to finish the rest of the lighting.

D

What is that thing above the rear view? Looks like a brake controller. Is that a radar detector?

Is that black Ford emblem a replacement or a vinyl overlay?

Its actually a metal stamped overlay. Still waiting on the rear. The guy didnt know the rear was a 7" and the front was a 9" so I have 2 9". Doh.

Its actually a metal stamped overlay. Still waiting on the rear. The guy didnt know the rear was a 7" and the front was a 9" so I have 2 9". Doh.

Where did you buy your overlay's from? I want :) (they look great!)

Also - are you going to stick with your V1 (I have the same one - purchased mine in '97 and have done two updates since), but am now looking at switching to the Bel STi-R Plus with some Blinders.

Did you re-do your door handles? Any issues? Mine are still holding up fine, but I still don't think they have fully cured - it's yet to get above ~45 degrees since I did them, and they still seem a smidge tacky.

Where did you buy your overlay's from? I want :) (they look great!)

Also - are you going to stick with your V1 (I have the same one - purchased mine in '97 and have done two updates since), but am now looking at switching to the Bel STi-R Plus with some Blinders.

Did you re-do your door handles? Any issues? Mine are still holding up fine, but I still don't think they have fully cured - it's yet to get above ~45 degrees since I did them, and they still seem a smidge tacky.

Thanks. Search for Tomtubes on ebay.

I love my V1's and have for many years. Saved me ever time unless they were off for some reason. I do need to call Valentine this week to see if they have any solutions for the issue I am having though, which is a few dots of k band from the rear at all times.

The problem these days is the Laser these guys are using. I would get something with blinders, but my understanding is that if you are caught with them in california, it can be written up as a felony - evading arrest, or something like that.

I did redo mine and they seem much better, although I feel like one of them may start peeing soon.

D

Did you happen to replace your puddle lights on the mirrors yet? If so, are they 194 bulbs?

I have not done the puddles yet. But I did buy 194 festoon bulbs from what I read on this forum.

D

Also a side note on the overlays. At least the front one. It did not cover the chrome bezel of the stock oval all the way, so I had to run a strip of gloss black vinyl around the edge of the oval before adhering the overlay. could probably use electrical tape, but I think vinyl would stick better over time.

Also they do not come with the double sided tape. I have some 3M automotive adhesive from another project that I am using.

D

I just ordered the front and rear. I will do that and plastidip my rear sport logo as soon as it warms up. I cant find plastidip anywhere locally anymore. They used to carry it everywhere. I guess I will just order it from dipyourcar.com. I think I have one old can in the garage from some stuff I did on my Evo X but I will probably still have to order some.

Homedepo should have it. They don't?

Let me know if you get your 7" rear oval. I'm still waiting on mine...

D

Yeah it is special order only at my local Home Depot and also at local Slowes. I just pulled my puddlelights and in order to do the led swap we are going to have to either bake the housing at around 150 in the oven or else hack them apart and silicone them back together. I did find some puddle replacements on Ebay but they are about $76 once they return the core charge. Im not so excited to start hacking already. Might just pick up the replacements. Ill keep you posted on the emblem.

Yea, I knew I would have to cut them up. Not an issue for me. Dremel is an amazing tool.

looks nice!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Definitv, would like to see the tinted reverse lights please. Thanks!

Back