How to replace a steering gear box | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to replace a steering gear box

davidhicks16

Reaction score
City, State
oreana il
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
This is my how to on a steering gear box replacement.
First: Position your truck on level ground with you wheels and steering wheel centered and lock your steering wheel

Second: Lift the drivers side of the vehicle and remove the wheel
Third: Flip the plastic cover off your steering shaft, this will give you access to the set screw that hold the steering shaft to the box.

Fourth: Remove the set screw ( It will fight you a little cause its covered in lock tight

Fifth: Remove the 2 fluid lines. I used a crows foot with a 2ft extension.

Sixth: Remove the pitman arm. (you will need to rent a puller for this)

Seventh: Remove the 3 bolts from the outside of the frame rail( I left the bolts hanging from the frame. It makes it easier to get restarted)

Eighth: Now you can pull the gear box free from the steering shaft.

Ninth: Pull the plastic caps out your new gear box. Wrap the steering shaft end with a rag and use pliers to turn the box to full lock. Now you turn the box all the way to full lock in the other direction, COUNT THE FULL TURNS! Now you know the full turns it can make take it halfway back and it will be centered.

Tenth: Push the gear box back on the steering shaft and put the set screw back in.

Eleventh: Put the three bolts from the frame back in the box.

Twelfth: Put the pitman arm back up on the box.

Thirteenth: Put the fluid lines back on snap the plastic shaft cover back on fill with fluid and you should be good to go.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I should have taken pictures when I did my dad's steering box.

is there a need to "bleed" the steering box/pump?

When you center the box it spits all the machine oil out. Also after you fill the power steering fluid up leave the cap off slowly turn the wheel from lock to lock and that will work any air out.

How do i know if its bad? i have a little slop in mine. is there a definitive test? i am leaking fluid but i think its my pump.

replaced my power steering unit but i can still hear growling wondering if i got a clog in the steering box to cause excessive action against the power steer unit

there is a definate difference of noise made since the new PS pump but wondering if i should of changed the lines and blew out the PS box ?

Back