Cold Air Intake (CAI) Discussion | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold Air Intake (CAI) Discussion

Well here is the first K&N Typhoon intake to be installed on a Sport. The fit was spot on and I had zero issues. I love that it came with a metal deflector to direct cold air to the filter. Can here the turbos spooling now.

IMAG0507.jpg

IMAG0508.jpg

IMAG0509.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would also like to add that I went over all of the factory hose clamps on the plumbing and some were pretty loose. Everyone should be sure to go over these with an 8mm driver. I know i read a thread here about someones piping coming loose.

Im very interested to hear from someone who has installed any of these CAI regardless of brand.

Other then a change in engine sound, how are you determining there is a HP or Torque gain?

Im asking this because I spoke directly to a couple Engineers (face to face, not through a 3rd party) on this program about adding a CAI and their response was "Dont waste your money, if it did anything we would have added it ourselves"

I just know from dealing with other turbo vehicles that it makes a difference. Especially once you get tuned for it. I guess I should have done some before and after gtech pulls...oh well. Intakes Ive installed on my other vehicles have always increased mileage too.

Im very interested to hear from someone who has installed any of these CAI regardless of brand.

Other then a change in engine sound, how are you determining there is a HP or Torque gain?

Im asking this because I spoke directly to a couple Engineers (face to face, not through a 3rd party) on this program about adding a CAI and their response was "Dont waste your money, if it did anything we would have added it ourselves"
I think that is Fords pat answer. Have you seen the big conical filter on a new Shelby? I think as long as the filter is shielded from the hot engine compartment air it will be beneficial.

The problem I also have with the K&N is where it is drawing the air from. The factory air box is drawing the air from a cutout in the front grille. The airaid design uses this same intake of air from the front grille, a ram air design if you will. For some reason K&N what's to block off this air with their shield and use the air from in front of the tire where there is no forced air coming in.

P.s. Do not buy from 4wheelonline. My intake has still yet to ship. I feel like I'm getting the run around. Shame on me for wanting to save 30 bucks.

The shield that is with the K&n actually directs the air towards the filter.

What is the part number on the K&N?

The shield that is with the K&n actually directs the air towards the filter.

I must be missing something then, because the air intake through the front grill is to the left of the shield. And from the pictures it looks like the shield is flush to the battery box and flush to the grill plastics, cutting off any cold air that would enter through there.

If im not mistaken the air comes in at that caution sticker for the fan blades. Look on page two and you can see the airraid positioned its filter right in front of it.

I believe its the same one for the SHO? Then it should be part number:

69-3531TS

Now to find someone in Toronto with the best price.

an aftermarket CAI is beneficial to most vehicles, especially forced induction vehicles. looking at the design of the stock air intake system on the Sport, it seems as though the engineers were going for "quietness".

myself, I wouldn't put any CAI on a car that didn't have a specific model number (ie, not putting a SHO CAI on Explorer Sport) -- of course in California you can't do this and have it emissions legal... but more importantly have an engine issue that the warranty won't cover because of an aftermarket part not "specifically" designed for use on the Sport installed.

I'll wait til an Explorer Sport specific CAI is available then I'll install it :D

I put CAI on everything I own btw. The biggest difference I felt was on my 04 GTO...the stock airbox was equivalent to sucking air through a straw

an aftermarket CAI is beneficial to most vehicles, especially forced induction vehicles. looking at the design of the stock air intake system on the Sport, it seems as though the engineers were going for "quietness".

myself, I wouldn't put any CAI on a car that didn't have a specific model number (ie, not putting a SHO CAI on Explorer Sport) -- of course in California you can't do this and have it emissions legal... but more importantly have an engine issue that the warranty won't cover because of an aftermarket part not "specifically" designed for use on the Sport installed.

I'll wait til an Explorer Sport specific CAI is available then I'll install it :D

I put CAI on everything I own btw. The biggest difference I felt was on my 04 GTO...the stock airbox was equivalent to sucking air through a straw
I just think the aftermarket is not up to date on the newer vehicles. My stock air inlet setup including the airbox is the exact same thing on my 12 SHO and 13 Sport.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but if an aftermarket part causes damage ...Ford can and will deny your warranty if it is proven to be the root cause --- no matter if your CAI is for a Explorer or a Fiat.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but if an aftermarket part causes damage ...Ford can and will deny your warranty if it is proven to be the root cause --- no matter if your CAI is for a Explorer or a Fiat.

Welcome back to middle school.

The plate that comes with the k&n redirects the air towards the filter on the right side of the engine bay. I made a trip today with this intake and I am now getting a little over one more mpg then I was before.

The plate that comes with the k&n redirects the air towards the filter on the right side of the engine bay. I made a trip today with this intake and I am now getting a little over one more mpg then I was before.
what did you get for mpg?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would think so, but evidently not everyone is educated.

Educated on using "burst your bubble" or educated on Warranty guidelines, claims and policies?

Back