• Register Today It's free!

Help Identifying Coolant Line

KPPCExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Kings Park, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6
2002 Ford Explorer 4.0 Just changed my thermostat housing about 5,000 miles ago and was unhappy to see coolant leaking out of my bumper this morning. Took my Volant intake out and realized it was rubbing up against a metal line. The line now has a pin sized hole in it which is leaking coolant. The hose goes from the about the middle of the radiator on the passenger side and runs back to the firewall. I am assuming it is a heater core line, but I can not find a part number or anything even similar to it on any parts website. I don't want to be ghetto and try to fix the pipe, I would rather just replace it myself if I can. Hopefully this picture can help you see what I am talking about.

20130107140412.jpg

It has a black almost foam wrapping around it but the line itself is metal. Anybody know the name of this line and how difficult it is to change? The fittings look strange on it but I wonder how complicated they could be.
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try www.fordpartsgiant.com

They have good diagrams.

Enter your VIN and it will only list parts relevant to your EX.

These are the selctions you need to make:

• Group: Electrical
  • Subgroup: Heater & Air Conditioning System
  • Part Type: Heater Hoses, ........................................

Good luck with the hunt. :thumbsup:

Thanks BigRondo!

Upon closer investigation, I am thinking it might not be coolant but might be refrigerant. I am hoping not because I know it is a sealed system and I can not repair that.

You are welcome.

They have diagrams for everything. Check out all the HVAC diagrams to be sure.

Thanks BigRondo!

Upon closer investigation, I am thinking it might not be coolant but might be refrigerant. I am hoping not because I know it is a sealed system and I can not repair that.
Can you actually see coolant or did someone put in refrigerant dye? The boiling point for the refrigerant is -15 degrees fahrenheit If refrigerant was leaking it would be given off as gas and you wouldn't see any drops of refrigerant.

I bet it's refrigerant, with dye in it. My son's car leaked refrigerant at compressor but it looked like coolant because of green dye. But if yours is like mine, the coolant is gold

Brian

What about the oils from the refrigerant?

I thought it was coolant at first due to the fact it was green. But now I realize that it was oily and didn't smell like coolant, and the fact that it still sprayed out of the hose even when the engine was cold.

I thought it was coolant at first due to the fact it was green. But now I realize that it was oily and didn't smell like coolant, and the fact that it still sprayed out of the hose even when the engine was cold.

Antifreeze does feel oily/greasy to the touch, but also has a distinct odor. Refrigerant does contain the oil that lubricates the compressor and that Aluminum line in your pic with the hole rubbed in it, does appear to be an AC line. Try to trace where it goes. It may connect into the "condensor" which sits infront of the radiator. I know you mentioned in your OP that the line ran near the middle of the radiator area, so see if that line runs all the way across to the other side of the condensor/drivers side, and there is a refrigerant "inlet line" that connects into the condensor on that side. On the passenger side of the condensor, there is an "outlet line" connected there. There are also "Compressor", "Accumulator" and "Evaporator" lines that connect each component of the AC system together in a "loop".

I just went out and looked under the hood of my 2002 4.0 liter Explorer and I can tell you that is a refrigerant line. The coolant lines are higher up and have hose clamps on them.

Back