• Register Today It's free!

A4LD - reverse servo spring?

SHIGRAs

Reaction score
City, State
lexington, sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
Bronco II 87
I am rebuilding an 87 Bronco II A4LD as my first rebuild in 30 years. Wow, lots of parts and nothing like the ones I used t rebuild back then. I am almost finished but as I was preparing to install the reverse servo piston I ccccould not fin a spring for thew servo. I honestly do not remember there being one in it. Is it possible that it would not have had one? I do not see any marks on the piston nor the bore that would indicate there was one. Can anybody with alot more experience give me an answer as to whether it would operate like that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm no help with your question, but I did move your post into the transmission forum, hopefully someone will see it and help.

Don't know if you have a manual but the manual shows a spring. Is it needed, can't say. All A4LD's had a spring as far as I know.

Its common practice to leave the spring out. Someone might have already built the tranny before and they removed it.

Thanks or the responses. I was wondering if I had lost it. I know the manual showed it. I went by a local tranny shop today and spoke with a guy with 37 years experience. He did say the it probably did not have one in it. Since the tranny is famous for slow reverse shift someone probably did leave it out in a past overhaul. He also mentioned that some guys do leave out the check ball as well. In any case his advise was to not put one in. So here goes we shall see how it goes.
Thanks again.

Is it the same with the 4R44 and 5R55 cases? The original in our 96EX had a spring in the low/reverse servo but the replacement I bought does not have one. Found this out while pulling the VB to replace it with a rebuilt. Is there any harm or difference anyone noticed with or without a spring?

Thanks for your input.

Joe

Thanks! I noticed that I can see the application point on the reverse band through the servo bore. I take that as good news. About how much resistance should I feel applying pressure to the reverse band compared to the other two bands given that there is no adjustability to that band? Is the resistance that can be felt an indication of the health of the reverse band?

Thanks again!

Joe

Thanks, BB! That is exactly what it feels like.

I will get delivery of a new reverse/low servo, rings and gasket in a few days. The shaft on the servo has a little surface wear and a bit of light scorching near the tip. The new VB is already here. Tranny is drippng, dripping, dripping. VB goes in tomorrow afternoon with the finishing touches when the servo is delivered. News later this week.

Joe
p.s. I still have the original tranny that I replaced some 120,000 miles ago with one from a salvage yard. I made a jig out of "found parts" to hold the tranny to my work bench and allow me to rotate it during a tear down/rebuild. That one lost reverse and it seems like the reverse band broke as the apply end is no where near the servo port. I look forward to the adventure of seeing what looks good, bad and ugly on my way down to the reverse band.
Joe

Back