• Register Today It's free!

'13 Xploder - Remote Start Q's

RedDog1

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, The Republic of Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited
So today the remote start seems to have packed it in. Worked fine yesterday but not today. Feature is enabled and I tried disabling and enabling it as well. Symptom sounds like the feature is disabled, push "lock", "start", "start" and the horn honks. Manual says it will do that if remote start is disabled.
There is a 2 start/hour limit according to the manual so I will let it set a bit and try again.
It seems that we are seeing some random problems popping up. First the stereo stopped playing the USB. Sometimes the iPhone will not link (can do the manual connect tho). We think the stereo will change sources from start to start as well.
Just plain odd.
If the remote start refuses to budge after a rest I will try pulling a fuse and see what happens.
Frustrating!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now that's interesting.
So the bride and I went out for a morning coffee and on the way home I see the hood is not completely latched. When we get home I latched it and wondered if that would prevent the Remote Start from working. Yup.
So I just looked in the OM and in black n white it tells me that Rem-Start won't work if:
• the ignition is on
• the alarm system is triggered
• the feature has been disabled
• the hood is not closed
• two remote vehicle starts have already been attempted within the last hour
• the vehicle is not in P (Park)
• the vehicle battery voltage is too low
• the service engine soon light is on.

The next question is "why was my hood not latched?" Maybe the OM will tell me that using the Rem-Start too many times will automatically unlatch the hood.:scratch:

Greetings, new to the forum.

My 2012 Explorer Limited remote start has just stopped working and I have no idea of where to start. Dealer mentioned that for the to look at this problem, the truck will need to be in the shop a full day and I cannot afford to be without a vehicle.

Fuse issue? Disable and re-enable the remote start setting?

Any advice/tips would be appreciated.

Greetings, new to the forum.

My 2012 Explorer Limited remote start has just stopped working and I have no idea of where to start. Dealer mentioned that for the to look at this problem, the truck will need to be in the shop a full day and I cannot afford to be without a vehicle.

Fuse issue? Disable and re-enable the remote start setting?

Any advice/tips would be appreciated.

Hi rob-m007,

Even though you sound like a DIY kind of guy, I'm happy to get your case escalated to your regional customer service manager so that this issue can get addressed by your dealer. To get started, send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll do the rest!

Thanks,

Crystal

Hello there , I was having the same issue, the remote start just died out and wouldn't work it would just honk. My brother, who currently works at Galpin Ford; told me it was a common issue that happens when you over press the lock or ignition buttons on the fob which then locks and disables the Remote Start system.

In order to fix the issue there are two ways to do it. (**ensure that remote start is enabled**)

1st is to pop the fob into the receiver slot located in the center console and start the vehicle and let it sit for 60 seconds turn off and remove the fob, next exit the vehicle and try the remote start.

2nd is to to a hard reset by disconnecting the neg cable on the battery let it cycle for 5-10 min then reconnect. Hop in the vehicle and start it as normal let the sync system fully initialize, once you see your home screen power off the vehicle hop on and try the remote start.

The first step has always worked for me and I have only resorted to step 2 once, hope this helps your guys.

Need a bit more info...

Iwantfood - thanks for the update! I am unsure of what to do with the FOB and the center console. Would you please explain a bit more on this? Not seeing anywhere to plug anything in other than the USB slots and the GPS card.

Having the Limited edition, I think it's a keyless ignition vehicle.

Thanks!!!

Robert

Here's a link to the picture of the slot he's talking about:

Capture.jpg

I have not had this problem so I can't vouch for the solution. Hope it works for you.

BTW, Just learned where the center console slot is... Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot and report back.

Thanks for the update swkooter, just posted an updated and once the page refreshed I see that you have posted.

Trying this in a few...

Did not work, removing the negative from the battery... Will keep y'all posted

Reconnected the battery and it did turn on once out of the 2 tries allowed within an hour (so I have read). Just gonna bring it to get looked at since it is still under warranty and they can get me a loaner.

Mine is doing same thing..sometimes remote start will work..others it will just honk at me after i hit that start button twice...

I just started the normal way and drove to store..got out and shut it off...then i tried remote start again and it worked..same as last time..wouldn't work until i drove it or turned it on the normal way and then it worked for a day or two before this happened again..weird

Hello there , I was having the same issue, the remote start just died out and wouldn't work it would just honk. My brother, who currently works at Galpin Ford; told me it was a common issue that happens when you over press the lock or ignition buttons on the fob which then locks and disables the Remote Start system.

In order to fix the issue there are two ways to do it. (**ensure that remote start is enabled**)

1st is to pop the fob into the receiver slot located in the center console and start the vehicle and let it sit for 60 seconds turn off and remove the fob, next exit the vehicle and try the remote start.

2nd is to to a hard reset by disconnecting the neg cable on the battery let it cycle for 5-10 min then reconnect. Hop in the vehicle and start it as normal let the sync system fully initialize, once you see your home screen power off the vehicle hop on and try the remote start.

The first step has always worked for me and I have only resorted to step 2 once, hope this helps your guys.

Does it still do this for you?

Mine is doing same thing..sometimes remote start will work..others it will just honk at me after i hit that start button twice...

Hi pup5581,

Have you ever brought this up to your dealership so they could take a look? If not, you can always mention it the next time you're in for an oil change. How many miles are on your Explorer currently?

Crystal

Hi pup5581,

Have you ever brought this up to your dealership so they could take a look? If not, you can always mention it the next time you're in for an oil change. How many miles are on your Explorer currently?

Crystal

I jut got the truck on thursday. 18.5K Has happened twice since then and i havent yet talked to them since i brought it home. I will see what the next week brings and then probably give them a call. It happens so random that i am afraid that if i bring it in and it's fine that day..they won't find anything wrong (happens all the time to me)

Edit: it's doing it again this AM...just beeps when i hit the start button the second time

I jut got the truck on thursday. 18.5K Has happened twice since then and i havent yet talked to them since i brought it home. I will see what the next week brings and then probably give them a call. It happens so random that i am afraid that if i bring it in and it's fine that day..they won't find anything wrong (happens all the time to me)

Edit: it's doing it again this AM...just beeps when i hit the start button the second time

Thanks for the quick reply, pup5581. Let me know if you decide to have the dealership inspect and I'll get your regional customer service manager involved.

Crystal

Thanks for the quick reply, pup5581. Let me know if you decide to have the dealership inspect and I'll get your regional customer service manager involved.

Crystal

Will do. Worked this AM...it's so on and off. I thought it was the FOB battery..but both FObs do it

So i think i may have an idea why this doesn't work sometimes. Sometimes when i get in the truck and turn it on...it says transmission is not in park when it clearly is.

Also when shutting off it will sometimes give me this error that trans is not in park when it clearly is. So i wonder if that is what is holding up the remote start

So i think i may have an idea why this doesn't work sometimes. Sometimes when i get in the truck and turn it on...it says transmission is not in park when it clearly is.

Also when shutting off it will sometimes give me this error that trans is not in park when it clearly is. So i wonder if that is what is holding up the remote start

Yes that would do it. There is a TSB out for the not in park issue I believe.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back