2012 Explorer: What can I really tow? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Explorer: What can I really tow?

astyles

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer
I am demo'ing a 2012 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4. The dealer has assured me that I have a towing package minus the hitch. Part of the deal is that they will put a hitch on her and I'll be able to tow 5,000 pounds.

However, I do not see a tow button that would lock out overdrive. This raises a brow and I am not sure if my dealer is being completely honest. I am getting what I think is a good deal so I want to just see if I am being paranoid here.

According to this here are the explorer towing capacities for 2012:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2012/12FLRVTT19_ttselectorP23_Sep6.pdf

Here is a sticker on the door.

GVWR_zpsdfd0775e.jpg

Anyone know what I can really pull here? Do I need the tow button or should I just kick it into manual and shift it myself?

Wish I could trust people these days! Any help is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I moved your thread to our " Stock 2011 - 2013 Ford Explorer Discussion" forum.

It is a tow issue, but the guys who can help you are mainly in this forum.:chug:

I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure your truck has a tow/haul mode which doesn't lock out overdrive but delays the shifts.
I would guess the towing package includes a hitch, makes sense that it wouldn't.
How much are you planning on towing? You have to remember that the explorer is more of a family vehicle, it's good for towing small loads but I wouldn't suggest towing often/heavy loads.

I am demo'ing a 2012 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4. The dealer has assured me that I have a towing package minus the hitch. Part of the deal is that they will put a hitch on her and I'll be able to tow 5,000 pounds.

However, I do not see a tow button that would lock out overdrive. This raises a brow and I am not sure if my dealer is being completely honest. I am getting what I think is a good deal so I want to just see if I am being paranoid here.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2012/12FLRVTT19_ttselectorP23_Sep6.pdf

GVWR_zpsdfd0775e.jpg

Anyone know what I can really pull here? Do I need the tow button or should I just kick it into manual and shift it myself?

If the truck doesn't have the factory tow package, i'm guessing it would still need the oil cooler and tranny cooler along with the tow hitch. It's not that it won't tow 5,000 lbs, it won't be optimized to do so. More wear and tear on the engine, and tranny.

Ed

I would be pulling a 21 foot pontoon boat which is rated at around 2800 pounds. I will be pulling it to the lake once a year and then leaving it there so mostly really pulling it out of the water and to be parked about every weekend.

I would be pulling a 21 foot pontoon boat which is rated at around 2800 pounds. I will be pulling it to the lake once a year and then leaving it there so mostly really pulling it out of the water and to be parked about every weekend.

Then you will never have much of a problem I would guess if the truck doesn't have a factory tow package.

Ed

You'll be fine, I'd feel safe using an escape for that.

I've got the 2013 Sport with the tow package. Look below the light switch on the left of the dash. You should see a button labeled "tow". If you look under the car, you should also see an air duct for transmission cooling.

I think your dealer is lying. If it comes with a tow package, it comes with the hitch, wiring, and tow/haul button installed.

Take a look at the window sticker. There should be a Trailer Tow Package listed under the options.

Walk away and find another Explorer.

What can you REALLY tow?

Chevys. :)

GVWR_zpsdfd0775e.jpg

Hi astyles,

Here's the window sticker for that particular Explorer: http://fordlabels.webview.biz/webviewhybrid/WindowSticker.aspx?vin=1fmhk8d87cga45004

As you can see from the document that you linked to, there's quite a bit of difference between the maximum loaded trailer weight depending on whether or not the vehicle has been equipped with the Trailer Tow Package and weight-distributing hitch.

Crystal

No tow package on that vehicle based on the sticker. Trailer sway control is NOT the tow package with the hitch, oil cooler, etc.

I am going to take it down to another dealership tomorrow and confirm but I think it is pretty obvious that there is some misrepresentation going on. The only question I am going to ask them is "What is this rig rated to tow" and see what they say.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far if anyone is interested I will post a follow-up.

I really love the explorer is the sad part I have the guy down to 27k on it I think that is a good deal with all the leather and options it has on it.

I am going to take it down to another dealership tomorrow and confirm.
What's to confirm? The sticker doesn't show trailer tow, and the Ford rep confirmed it. It doesn't have a trailer tow package.

That said, you can still tow with it, but not at the full capacity that requires the trailer tow package.

And the Tow button does more than change shift points. It does lock out the overdrive.

I'd find a new dealer.

What's to confirm? The sticker doesn't show trailer tow, and the Ford rep confirmed it. It doesn't have a trailer tow package.

That said, you can still tow with it, but not at the full capacity that requires the trailer tow package.

And the Tow button does more than change shift points. It does lock out the overdrive.

I'd find a new dealer.

Along with these comments, any tow hitch you would add would go below the rear fascia instead of having a removable cover so the hitch is better in line with the frame. The tow package comes with a removable door to acces the hitch in the rear fascia. The non-tow package does not.

That dealer / salesman is flat out lying to you if he's telling you that you can tow 5000 pounds with this vehicle. The max you'll be able to tow with that particular Explorer is 2000 pounds if they slap an aftermarket hitch on it. I'd find a more honest place to deal with if I were in your shoes.

That dealer / salesman is flat out lying to you if he's telling you that you can tow 5000 pounds with this vehicle. The max you'll be able to tow with that particular Explorer is 2000 pounds if they slap an aftermarket hitch on it. I'd find a more honest place to deal with if I were in your shoes.

Dealers not lying to him....he probably could tow 5K, what the dealer failed to mention is that he'll also later be selling him a new engine, tranny, driveline components, etc.:D

Dealers not lying to him....he probably could tow 5K, what the dealer failed to mention is that he'll also later be selling him a new engine, tranny, driveline components, etc.:D

Funny! :bsnicker:

Back