Plasti Dip Wheels + Puddle LED Install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Plasti Dip Wheels + Puddle LED Install

Mdanielswv18

Reaction score
City, State
Hurricane, wv
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Explorer Sport
Sport puddle lights

Anyone know what bulbs are used in the puddle lights under the mirrors of the sport? I was going to order some white leds when ordering my hids. I would pull them and check, but its pouring and cold out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was looking for the same thing! Thanks for the help! Ill check out the 194s.

They are actually 31mm Festoon bulbs. I just installed mine tonight and they were a bit of a pain. Once I removed the assembly I had to take a dremel and cut the housing apart to get the lens off and get to the bulb to replace it. I then changed the bulbs and sealed the lenses back to the housing with silicone. They look awesome against the pearl white paint and match my hids and interior leds I just installed. This is a nice mod. Ill get some pics up next time it is clean.

There are pics up already of someone that already did the mod. Do a search for "puddle" and you'll see them.

I had been throwing the idea around to Plasti Dip the wheels vs. powdercoating them, but I finally just said screw it and did it. I figure, if I didnt like it I would just peel it off. I have done all the trim including the handles and ive been happy so far! I also worked with Dan from DAYTIME Brightlights who was more than helpful getting me these new LED puddle lights. I highly recommend contacting him! Its a great mod and really stands out at night! I will add a completed photo of the wheels this week!

8531058365_968b238419_c.jpg

8532168776_0a6d01649f_c.jpg

8531057947_e49580ef15_c.jpg

8531057431_8c7de6f263_c.jpg

8532168718_840cd018d6_c.jpg

8531057719_75655fd7e0_c.jpg

8531057621_862c3e3196_c.jpg

8531057543_07ed8787a2_c.jpg

Thanks guys! It looks so good in person. Im gonna get it washed and snap a few more pics!

I wish the X had DRLs like the Edge Sport because they have some better looking ones on their site.

Congrats! It looks very nice! I am also going to order the puddle lights from brightlites.com That's the last thing I want to do to my Sport which by the way is also in the White Platinum Tri-Coat with the Charcoal Black Sienna Interior!

The wheels look awesome, I really like the softer glow the stock puddles provide, but you definitely get more function from the LEDs there.

How did you get black handles?

How much did you pay for LED puddle lights?

R1chard - I'm not sure what the cost is, but this is a mod that can be done by yourself if you are so inclined. I did mine and it took about 45 minutes and less than $7 in LED bulbs and materials.

R1chard - I'm not sure what the cost is, but this is a mod that can be done by yourself if you are so inclined. I did mine and it took about 45 minutes and less than $7 in LED bulbs and materials.

Can you forward me more info about the process?

Thanks!

I ordered a set of the Puddle LED lights from www.DAYTIMEBrightLites.com Should get them later this week, and then on with the install! I'll keep you guys posted.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I actually found the Ford part number for the said puddle light assemblies (about $25/each) and I think I will order two to modify with the LEDS. I figured if anything goes wrong I will always have an OEM spare set to fallback on.

Thanks for forwarding the install information.

Back