About to buy | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

About to buy

Theperchik

Reaction score
Hi all. I am on the verge of leaving our Q5 for a limited 2013 explorer. We test drove and I played around with the MFT system for about 15 min and really liked it. There is a lot of bad press on the net about stability and all sorts of issues. This forum seems to get quite a bit of action on the subject as well.

How is the situation now with he latest update? Knowing what you know now, would you have still got your cars?

Thanks all, our family is about to expand big time and I want to know my wife is driving without any "roaches in the dash"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

MFT is flaky. Some have had better luck, others have had no luck. Ours acts up now and then, but we would definitely get the car again. We love the Gray Ghost. What makes it a bit more liveable for us is that we knew it was probably going to be flaky going in, so our expectations were so low, that we couldn't be disappointed :)

It has gotten better through the updates and hope springs eternal that they will hammer out the bugs sooner rather than later.

I have no regrets buying my 2012 Exp Limited with MFT. I really like my vehicle and the MFT system. At first I had some issues with MFT playing nice with my previous cell phone (which was an old phone). Once I bought a new phone (one that was on the Ford "approved" list), MFT has been mostly trouble free since then. I've had a few bugs like the radio not shutting off or the system rebooting from time to time but the latest update (3.2.2) thus far has cured those issues for me. I also leave an Ipod plugged into my USB port for music and entertainment (mostly audiobooks) and have not had any issues there either. I would buy again! Good luck with your decision!

I have a 2012 Limited and love it and I would definitely buy it again. Personally I have had no problems with MFT, especially after the upgrade. I have had some issues but I still love my car. It drives well and I love the way it looks.

If you think you may ever need to rent a trailer for any reason, be aware that U-Haul will NOT rent any of their towable stock for use behind an Explorer of any year.

He means will not rent..... if you do buy stay away from MFT as it's a Nighmare

Hi all. I am on the verge of leaving our Q5 for a limited 2013 explorer. We test drove and I played around with the MFT system for about 15 min and really liked it. There is a lot of bad press on the net about stability and all sorts of issues. This forum seems to get quite a bit of action on the subject as well.

How is the situation now with he latest update? Knowing what you know now, would you have still got your cars?

Thanks all, our family is about to expand big time and I want to know my wife is driving without any "roaches in the dash"

seriously, I would recommend an extended test drive with your devices connected to the system. Pair your phones, connect your media and use it as you expect to use it. Try it out that way.

If you are willing to tolerate minor glitchiness, you will be probably be fine. If you expect perfection, or assuming everything will work perfectly, then you will not like it. Bluetooth audio streaming seems to still be an issue for example. You have to remember that even though "Bluetooth" is supposed to be a standard, each vendor implements it themselves and there are differences in how the specifications are interpreted. Additionally, sometimes problems people attribute to MFT are the phone's problem (e.g., no text messaging support for Apple products is the result of Apple not implementing it on their end). Bottom line (and why I recommend you try it with YOUR devices) is that everyone experiences different results because they use it with different devices which behave differently.

My only serious problem was recently when I had 3.5.1 installed, the install didn't take right because Ford was having problems with their servers (even though it looked fine). My nav was essentially useless. Had 3.5.1. reloaded and now all is fine! That being said, I occassionally need to reboot the system (I use a USB stick with a program you can download off the internet to do that)

I will give credit to Ford for issuing updates at about 2-3 times per year - all free - including two new Map cards.

The whole MFT system is warranted for 5 years by ford unlimited mileage (I believe that's the right numbers) - so I do expect Ford to continue to improve the system (plus it's on a ridiculuous number of their cars, so they kinda have to keep updating).

Also, don't expect Applink (e.g., Pandora or Stitcher apps) to come to My Ford Touch vehicles anytime soon - we've been waiting 2+ years although the official response is that they are working on it. Some dealers are telling people its coming soon, but I don't buy it.

If MFT is a big influence in your purchasing decision, you will be very disappointed with the car.

If MFT is a big influence in your purchasing decision, you will be very disappointed with the car.

I agree. If MFT is a significant reason you are buying the Explorer, think twice. I bought the first gen 2011 Explorer and MFT was a big factor in my purchase decision (saw it at 2009 CES with promise of Applink and everything else). My experience with buggy software and no Applink really soured me at first. Ford has stepped up and latest version is better (I am still upset at all the wonderful Applink references at CES especially their offer to help others when they still can't get it to work with their own high end system)

However, even the newest MFT version is glitchy (much more stable than before). Sometimes bluetooth audio doesn't work, sometimes USB audio doesn't work, sometimes voice control will not accept simple commands it has accepted previously. I have workarounds for all the audio issues mainly involving plugging in USB (or if USB glitch, unplugging and replugging it in again when driving :eek:) and the voice control problems are pretty rare.

Basically, I have learned to live with the shortcomings and appreciate what is there. If I were to make the decision again, however, MFT would NOT be the positive factor it was before (probably would rate the system no better than similar high end offerings from other manufacturers).

We haven't had our Ex for too long (about 3 months), but so far there haven't been any issues with the MFT. IMO, it compares very favorably to the PCM navi in the Porsche.

No issues with MFT, or the Explorer as a whole, will / would buy again without a second thought. Good luck with what ever you choose.

I agree. If MFT is a significant reason you are buying the Explorer, think twice. I bought the first gen 2011 Explorer and MFT was a big factor in my purchase decision (saw it at 2009 CES with promise of Applink and everything else). My experience with buggy software and no Applink really soured me at first. Ford has stepped up and latest version is better (I am still upset at all the wonderful Applink references at CES especially their offer to help others when they still can't get it to work with their own high end system)

Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed this from CES. It's a shame that so few people are technology savy enough to know that Ford has failed its owners by not rolling out Applink to its MyFord Touch system already. Keep spreading the word, man. Hopefully we're educating others as far as what they should expect and letting Ford know that they are royally screwing up.

so yester day I get my "scheduled maintenance" and now my phone won't connect...
So as stated above prpared for a let down as I have a MSRP SUV woth an almost 52K with issues..sweeeeeet

I love my explorer, hate MFT -

as has been said, if you are buying for the coolness of MFT - think twice - in fact, I recommend don't buy it.

If you like the way it drives, the ride etc then they are great.

I have been thinking I should get a Q5 just to get away from MFT

Having a 2012 Q5 and a 2013 Sport in my driveway, I can say the Sport is definitely more fun to drive and I've had no issues with MFT. I've only had it for a day though so maybe I just got lucky :)

I did however rent a Limited for a weekend prior to ordering mine just so I could do a longer test drive and test out my devices over a longer period. I had zero issues with my ipod touch and Samsung Galaxy S3 which was a large factor in my buying decision since I spend a lot of time in my car.

The Q5 is a fine vehicle but it is more expensive and in my opinion less car.

I would definitely buy again. i've had a few issues, but do you not on your own PC? Beautiful car, Ecoboost has given me true 28 highway, 24 city, excellent customer service.

Love my 2012 Limited. Vehicle drives and looks great. With that said, I purchased the vehicle in March 2012 and in June, the MFT module had completely died and had to be replaced. Since then things have been better, but it definitely still has it's kinks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey folks!

It's always a pleasure to hear from folks who love their Explorers. Just a reminder that if you ever do have a vehicle issue, I'm here to help. Additionally, those of you who have questions or concerns about MyFord, MyFord Touch or SYNC, my colleague Rebecca (FordIVTTeam) can assist you.

Thanks!

Crystal

Back