• Register Today It's free!

Radiator interchange?

adworden

Reaction score
City, State
Colville,WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer
Can someone give me some alternatives? I need to replace the radiator in my daughter's 95exp, 4.0, auto trans, and I'd like some options in case the pullandsave doesn't have her exact year/model. Thanks.

I have a 96 with 4.0 & auto and it appears the 95-97 use the same radiator, however there are some differences in width when looking at parts for my 96 model. I have a slightly different core width being it is an early 96 where the later 96 units have a wider core (about 20 inches vs 21.5 inches).

What I can't seem to find is any specific recommendations regarding radiator brands such as Vista Pro vs Spectra Premium, Pro, or Nissens.

Just looking at the various offerings from Rock Auto, it appears the Nissens might actually be a quality unit. Reputation on these units is horrible - too many leak problems. A Bronco II then this Explorer, neither has been a success and now the radiators from China seem to be worse. There are no longer any OEM units available from Ford, so it seems like a crap shoot.

I recall seeing at the autoshows that an '10 Ranger uses the same radiator or similar. I know they use the same heater core.

Back