2000 Explorer Washer Pump Relay(s) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer Washer Pump Relay(s)

marragtop

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
balt, md
Year, Model & Trim Level
91, 92, 95, and 2000 xlts
I have a 2000 Explorer and I'm not getting any power to the front washer pump. I've checked fuse #12 in the inside fuse panel and it's good. I don't think it's the multi function switch. I believe the problem is relay related. I've read other posts, and some of them imply that there are 2 relays under the hood. I think I've found the one in the power distribution box, but I cannot locate the second one. Some of the posts indicate the 2nd relay is below the air cleaner. I have the 5.0 V8 motor and cannot locate the 2nd relay. My questions:
- are there indeed 2 relays under the hood?
- exactly (pic would be great) where is the 2nd one that is not in the power dist box?
- what is the circuit order from the multifunction switch button to the washer pump? In other words... does it go from the switch, to the relay in the power dist box, and then to the 2nd relay, and then to the washer pump?

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to explain this as best as possible. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have any pix, but there is a box located on the inside of the passenger's side frame rail under the airbox area that has the relays in it. I had to replace them in my '01after I filled 'em with mud....

Thanks for the reply. Is there more than 1 relay in that box, and if so any idea which one is for the washer pump? I have been able to find any specs on that box. thanks

I have a 2000 Explorer and I'm not getting any power to the front washer pump. I've checked fuse #12 in the inside fuse panel and it's good. I don't think it's the multi function switch. I believe the problem is relay related. I've read other posts, and some of them imply that there are 2 relays under the hood. I think I've found the one in the power distribution box, but I cannot locate the second one. Some of the posts indicate the 2nd relay is below the air cleaner. I have the 5.0 V8 motor and cannot locate the 2nd relay. My questions:
- are there indeed 2 relays under the hood?
- exactly (pic would be great) where is the 2nd one that is not in the power dist box?
- what is the circuit order from the multifunction switch button to the washer pump? In other words... does it go from the switch, to the relay in the power dist box, and then to the 2nd relay, and then to the washer pump?

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to explain this as best as possible. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Hello, I did not see if you were able to resolve your question. I have a 2001 Explorer XLT with the same problem. The owner's manual does not appear to be accurate and I've found conflicting info online, so I am confused as well. Thanks

98% of the time it’s the multifunction switch

You can test the MFS with a multimeter or disassemble and clean the contacts (I mean the internal contacts more so than the external that plug into the wiring harness plug, except another possibility is the wiring harness plug itself may have wires pulling out the back of it), from oxidation and dried up grease, or buy a new one around $30 aftermarket IF MFS itself is the problem among the multiple possibilities.

Multi Function Switch testing.png

The only diagram I have of the relay box under the air cleaner box looks like the following. As you can see, more than one position uses same type relay so you can swap one of same relays to the other position for the pump, though this type of relay only costs about $10 3rd party on Amazon or less on Rock Auto so I just keep a spare new one in my glovebox.

Relay Box Under Airbox.jpg

Might also want to see if power is getting TO the pump itself on the harness connector. The circuit is interior fuse panel (hot in acc or run), to washer pump relay, (which is activated by the GEM based on the setting of the MFS triggering that relay, then to pump and pump negative a good, low ohm ground connection. PDF wiring diagram attached... trace the circuit, see where power stops, or a frayed wire could cause too low a voltage to get to the pump to spin it up... less common, but as vehicle age and so does wiring and connectors (even from rodent damage) that becomes a little less unlikely.

Attachments

• wiper-washer-front-wiper-washer-circuit-1-of-1.pdf
    59.2 KB · Views: 68

98% of the time it’s the multifunction switch
I was certain it was, but not in this case. I replaced the multifunction switch. My manual says the fuse is for the pump relay but does not indicate the location of said relay.

Did you check change the relay yet?

Did you check change the relay yet?
Locating the relay has been the problem. The manual only shows the Distribution Box on the driver's side (under hood). I have not found another relay box. Fuse is good, replaced the MFS not knowing a relay could be the problem.

You can test the MFS with a multimeter or disassemble and clean the contacts (I mean the internal contacts more so than the external that plug into the wiring harness plug, except another possibility is the wiring harness plug itself may have wires pulling out the back of it), from oxidation and dried up grease, or buy a new one around $30 aftermarket IF MFS itself is the problem among the multiple possibilities.

View attachment 441383

The only diagram I have of the relay box under the air cleaner box looks like the following. As you can see, more than one position uses same type relay so you can swap one of same relays to the other position for the pump, though this type of relay only costs about $10 3rd party on Amazon or less on Rock Auto so I just keep a spare new one in my glovebox.

View attachment 441384

Might also want to see if power is getting TO the pump itself on the harness connector. The circuit is interior fuse panel (hot in acc or run), to washer pump relay, (which is activated by the GEM based on the setting of the MFS triggering that relay, then to pump and pump negative a good, low ohm ground connection. PDF wiring diagram attached... trace the circuit, see where power stops, or a frayed wire could cause too low a voltage to get to the pump to spin it up... less common, but as vehicle age and so does wiring and connectors (even from rodent damage) that becomes a little less unlikely.
This is good info. Thank you. I will attempt to locate this aux relay box. I wonder why it is not in the manual?

^ Yeah the relay box up under the dash isn't in the manual either, guess they just arbitrarily placed a limit on how much info to provide to owners and these relay boxes didn't make the cut.

In a more perfect world, every vehicle would also come with a workshop manual DVD with same info as the Ford shops have. I mean back then a DVD, today instead have free owner online access.

Be careful moving the air filter box to get to it, as the rubber can get brittle over time... don't want to crack the intake snorkel.

^ Yeah the relay box up under the dash isn't in the manual either, guess they just arbitrarily placed a limit on how much info to provide to owners and these relay boxes didn't make the cut.

In a more perfect world, every vehicle would also come with a workshop manual DVD with same info as the Ford shops have. I mean back then a DVD, today instead have free owner online access.

Be careful moving the air filter box to get to it, as the rubber can get brittle over time... don't want to crack the intake snorkel.
Thanks for the feedback and caution. Very helpful to know.

And once the air box is removed, it is a little tricky removing the plastic piece that covers the auxiliary relay box…. There are two press fit fasteners under the plastic piece directly under the air box and directly above the relay box… you have to use a screwdriver to pry apart the connection toward the front of the engine. You can not see this easily, and if you do not separate it with a screw driver for leverage you are likely to break something or be unable to get it apart.

Good luck.

And once the air box is removed, it is a little tricky removing the plastic piece that covers the auxiliary relay box…. There are two press fit fasteners under the plastic piece directly under the air box and directly above the relay box… you have to use a screwdriver to pry apart the connection toward the front of the engine. You can not see this easily, and if you do not separate it with a screw driver for leverage you are likely to break something or be unable to get it apart.

Good luck.
👍 Thanks Mr. A...

Problem resolved, thanks to all for the info and tips. A bad relay was found in the location of the bottom relays shown on the picture and drawing. The drawing appears to be labeled incorrectly as the defective relay was at C1007.

Aux Box 1.png

20230506_113152.jpg

Excellent thread! I returned recently from another overseas trip and found my washer fluid pump inoperative upon start-up. This is everything needed to fix the problem in one place!

Thanks everyone for staying on topic and great info! And thanks Ri2616 for reporting the problem solved! 🙂👍

Back