Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 31 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
What is the "PTU" fluid and what does it have to do with the smell?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After a year and a half the smell is finally gone! Looks like the fix "fixed" it. Too bad it took sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long. ;)

I dropped it off at the dealership in the morning. They furnished me with a rental. I picked up the Explorer in the afternoon and the smell was finally gone.

Thanks.

What is the "PTU" fluid and what does it have to do with the smell?

The PTU is the Power Transfer Unit. Sort of like the equivalent of a transfer case on our Explorers.

After a year and a half the smell is finally gone! Looks like the fix "fixed" it. Too bad it took sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long. ;)

I dropped it off at the dealership in the morning. They furnished me with a rental. I picked up the Explorer in the afternoon and the smell was finally gone.

Thanks.

Can you detail what exactly was made to the truck?????

... I will post again after a few weeks to let you know if it returns. I am glad I listened to my wife and got an extended warranty.

Thanks for keeping us updated, Hazegray. It sounds like you're in good hands at your dealership. Let us know how things go in the coming weeks!

Thanks.

I'm glad to hear that this was resolved for you, Dwr4door! May you have many fresh-smelling journeys ahead of you. :D

Crystal

Ok, what do i tell the service department to describe the situation. Is there some kinda service number or other means to get this issue addressed?

Thanks in advance!

Ok, what do i tell the service department to describe the situation. Is there some kinda service number or other means to get this issue addressed?

Thanks in advance!

It's posted in the thread in several places..

Thanks.

Glad to hear your smell seems to be resolved. I take mine into the dealer again on Monday for a ride a long. Too bad Texas is too far or me to drive right now because I'd take it to your dealer !!! All my dealer has done so far has been given me the "deer in the headlights " look when I describe the smell to them, they don't know the TSB # and can't find it , and neither can the Regional CSM...pretty sad.

Glad to hear your smell seems to be resolved. I take mine into the dealer again on Monday for a ride a long. Too bad Texas is too far or me to drive right now because I'd take it to your dealer !!! All my dealer has done so far has been given me the "deer in the headlights " look when I describe the smell to them, they don't know the TSB # and can't find it , and neither can the Regional CSM...pretty sad.

It looks to me like you need to PM Crystal and get a Ford Regional Rep involved. Also take it to a different dealer.

Did you give them the TSB number? (12-12-4)
Maybe you should print off the post #12 in the Exhaust Smell thread and bring it along.

Peter

Yep. Got Crystal involved and she got the regional rep for my area involved. He's the one who also couldn't find the TSB. It would be rather funny if it wasn't so darn pathetic. I will most likely print it off for them as well. However They apparently have to smell the problem first before doing anything. Hence the ride along on Monday.

Yep. Got Crystal involved and she got the regional rep for my area involved. He's the one who also couldn't find the TSB. It would be rather funny if it wasn't so darn pathetic. I will most likely print it off for them as well. However They apparently have to smell the problem first before doing anything. Hence the ride along on Monday.
Eat a lot of beans tomorrow. :D

Peter

To the top you go. This is a flawed vehicle. Thanks 'ford'. Lower case because you just got your ass handed to you by Hyundai. Haha Hyundai? I wish i could see the faces in the boardroom. Poor sacks.

My Ex is at the dealer right now getting the exhaust smell TSB done. I'll report on that when I pick it up. I've suffered with it for over 10k miles. Also, took the tranny mechanic for a little test drive to show him the "transmission bump" issue. I went less than 400 yards from the service bay and he said, "I've seen enough, no need to drive more". This of course is after they fixed it once before with a "software" upgrading.

To the top you go. This is a flawed vehicle. Thanks 'ford'. Lower case because you just got your ass handed to you by Hyundai. Haha Hyundai? I wish i could see the faces in the boardroom. Poor sacks.

feel better now? (all lower case just for you)....wish I could see your face...poor sack....go buy a Hyundai.

Not sure what this is all about but the Hyundai-Kia group has put out some of the best vehicles in the past few years. They are a very serious force in the automotive industry and have taken sales away from many of the more established manufacturers.
As the Explorer being a 'flawed' vehicle, I'm not sure what you are basing that opinion on. It like many redesigned vehicles has had some issues, just like many others have. Mine has been virually flawless and has performed as expected. It has been a solid vehicle for me and the owners of other Explorers I have spoken to are also very happy with theirs. I have excellent service from both the vehicle and the dealership and wouldn't hestitate to do it all over again.
Anyway that's my 2 cents worth. (FYI. the penny production stops Feb. 4th here in Canada)

Peter

I was actually trying to find information on poor acceleration of the 2013 Explorer but found this. Which is ironic since the burnt oil smell happened to me right after I floored it. The two times I did this I was going probably 50-60 and was trying to pass. Both times not only did the truck not respond as much as I'd like after all the the whining of the pistons I ended up with the smell. So good to see there's a resolution but am I expecting too much on the acceleration issue? Also it's winter now (about 20-30) in the mornings and it really seems to take a lot of warmup to just go. Owned a 1988 Explorer for 13 years before colliding with a deer, hence the new truck, about 6 months old. I never used to go this long without an oil change but have kept to the every 5K miles(I'm almost at 10K now), so opinions on that would be appreciated.

Thanks

I was actually trying to find information on poor acceleration of the 2013 Explorer but found this. Which is ironic since the burnt oil smell happened to me right after I floored it. The two times I did this I was going probably 50-60 and was trying to pass. Both times not only did the truck not respond as much as I'd like after all the the whining of the pistons I ended up with the smell. So good to see there's a resolution but am I expecting too much on the acceleration issue? Also it's winter now (about 20-30) in the mornings and it really seems to take a lot of warmup to just go. Owned a 1988 Explorer for 13 years before colliding with a deer, hence the new truck, about 6 months old. I never used to go this long without an oil change but have kept to the every 5K miles(I'm almost at 10K now), so opinions on that would be appreciated.

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum tslate.:wavey:
Sorry to hear about the smell issue. I have a 2011 and have used the 'passing gear' several times and all is good. Lucky maybe?
No problem with get up and go either. It was -18F for a few days last week. Crazy weather all around. It is supposed to reach 54F tomorrow with rain.
Opinions on oil changes are all over the map. Everyone has their own. I do mine every 6 months or 5000 miles. Since I only have aound 8000 miles in almost 2 years, the time interval always comes first. I'm retired and do mostly short trips around town.
Happy motoring.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks in advance!

Hi djstatix,

Just a heads up that I responded to your PM. Let me know if you have any other questions!

It looks to me like you need to PM Crystal and get a Ford Regional Rep involved. Also take it to a different dealer.

Thanks for the endorsement, CajunFordEx!

Let me know how things go at the dealership, Arc446. I'm happy to arrange for a follow-up call from your CSM; just send me a PM with your updated mileage and I'll do the rest.

I was actually trying to find information on poor acceleration of the 2013 Explorer but found this. Which is ironic since the burnt oil smell happened to me right after I floored it. The two times I did this I was going probably 50-60 and was trying to pass. Both times not only did the truck not respond as much as I'd like after all the the whining of the pistons I ended up with the smell. So good to see there's a resolution but am I expecting too much on the acceleration issue?...

Hi tslate,

Making an appointment at your dealership is a good first step to get the smell and acceleration concerns addressed. I'm happy to see how I can help as well; just send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Thanks!

Crystal

Back