Who is disappointed with their EX? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who is disappointed with their EX?

03explorerL

Reaction score
City, State
St.Pete, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Limited
This isn't even my truck, it's my grandmothers. After reading countless threads on ****ty rear ends, transmissions being gone through like underwear, blend door actuators, wheel bearings, ball joints, you name it, I can't believe Ford let a car built this cheap off the line... My grandmothers EX, with only 66k miles is having a possible transmission problem (not detrimental yet), I can hear the blend door act up at times when changing the temperature, the rear end howls over 60, and she has a never ending rough idle issue when cold (replaced just about everything), can start to see the deterioration of the ball joints happening, and just the cheap feel of the interior, pieces that squeak and so on. I don't know, but I would never buy a Ford product, knowing that with trying to cut costs now a days, they could be letting products like this off the line daily. I understand many car companies do this, but wow. My grandmother deals with it, because frankly she can't afford another vehicle, so I try to fix everything I can for her. Let me tell you, once this transmission starts to act up for good, Ford will be getting a rather nice email from me. For a $35k SUV when new, you don't expect such big issues like what is seen on the 2002-2005 Explorers. Could be me, but I would be fed up to hell if I owned one of these. Hell I am fed up and it's not even mine.
I just wanted to go ahead and see if I was the only one in this boat, or if many other members out there are too.

P.S. Before you say she must've not taken care of the car, it was meticulously maintained from day one. This was her first "New" Car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

better question is why are you driving your grandmothers truck?

I live with them, so when there is a problem I switch with her for a day. And it's the car we use to go out to eat and stuff. Thanks

Only two universal flaws inherent to the 02-05 in my mind: early wheel bearing wear and early transmission wear. Keep those fixed and you have a 200k+ mile capable SUV, easy. Even considering the transmission issues, it's not a reliability issue than it is an annoyance. I haven't ever read of someone getting stranded.

Tell me, what other SUV has the same size, power, and A4WD/AWD (not to mention other features) that is any more reliable?

You forgot to mention window regulators.

Toyota 4runner (other grandfather has one with 187,x.. miles, never had any CELS, one u-joint replacment at 180k), Chevy trailblazer (step mom had one to 100k with zero issues), Honda pilot (cant attest to reliability but read many good things), Nissan pathfinder (two neighbors both had minor issues such as o2 sensors and radiator replacements)...

I'll keep my Fords thanks.

Toyota 4runner (other grandfather has one with 187,x.. miles, never had any CELS, one u-joint replacment at 180k), Chevy trailblazer (step mom had one to 100k with zero issues), Honda pilot (cant attest to reliability but read many good things), Nissan pathfinder (two neighbors both had minor issues such as o2 sensors and radiator replacements)...

Eh. None of those offer a V8 let alone other things like 3rd row seat (and a real back seat), rear climate, etc. Don't get me wrong, there are flaws in the 02-05 Explorers. They also have a lot more to offer than the competition when properly equipped. Ford pushed the envelope with the electronic 5-speed auto, that's another unique feature. Unfortunately it's flaws in the servo bore and solenoid pack limit how long it will run flawlessly without some work...

Eh. None of those offer a V8 let alone other things like 3rd row seat (and a real back seat), rear climate, etc. Don't get me wrong, there are flaws in the 02-05 Explorers. They also have a lot more to offer than the competition when properly equipped. Ford pushed the envelope with the electronic 5-speed auto, that's another unique feature. Unfortunately it's flaws in the servo bore and solenoid pack limit how long it will run flawlessly without some work...

Pilot, trailblazer, and pathfinder all offered third row and rear climate control, and I'm having trouble finding where they pushed the envelope other than the autotragic. I guess I'm saying help me name SUVS that have major things fail as early as 50k miles.

I live with them, so when there is a problem I switch with her for a day. And it's the car we use to go out to eat and stuff. Thanks

Diplomatically answered. Why you're driving Granny's car isn't relevant to the question and really nobody's business.

Unless you're a wolf.

Diplomatically answered. Why you're driving Granny's car isn't relevant to the question and really nobody's business.

Unless you're a wolf.

Well how could you honestly be disappointed in something you don't even own. Is like not owning stock in apple but asking how disappointed are you in apple stock prices dropping.

After reading countless threads on ****ty rear ends, transmissions being gone through like underwear, blend door actuators, wheel bearings, ball joints, you name it, I can't believe Ford let a car built this cheap off the line...

You do realize that all these threads you read come from hundreds of different Explorers correct? Are you new to this internet? The vast majority of people use automotive forums to diagnose and repair problems with their vehicles. Go to any forum and look what you see. All those nice reliable Hondas, Nissans, and Toyotas have forums too, why don't you stop by one of them and see what the majority of the discussion is about. You will find they all have problems too, and that vast majority of their problems can only be solved by a costly visit to the dealer. In contrast with the way these Explorers are built, a trip to Autozone and a big hammer will usually get you back in business.

You do realize that all these threads you read come from hundreds of different Explorers correct? Are you new to this internet? The vast majority of people use automotive forums to diagnose and repair problems with their vehicles. Go to any forum and look what you see. All those nice reliable Hondas, Nissans, and Toyotas have forums too, why don't you stop by one of them and see what the majority of the discussion is about. You will find they all have problems too, and that vast majority of their problems can only be solved by a costly visit to the dealer. In contrast with the way these Explorers are built, a trip to Autozone and a big hammer will usually get you back in business.

Seeing that I am part of an Accord forum, A Lexus forum, an Infiniti forum, and a GM truck forum, I can say I know the internet. None of the other cars we owned/have owned, have had the major issues that you can speak of in an Explorer. And the fact that it is hundreds of different explorers just goes to show that there are thousands out there that some people just don't get online and research about the issues.

Well how could you honestly be disappointed in something you don't even own. Is like not owning stock in apple but asking how disappointed are you in apple stock prices dropping.

Because I can consider it mine, since I am allowed to drive it whenever I choose. When my grandmother comes to me asking about these different issues, I get more frustrated, and continue to read more and more about them. Hell, I even talk to the service manager at our local Ford who even claims that Ford didn't do so well on the 02-05 explorers. He said they are in all the time for different things. That shows you right there, those are the people who don't do there research and their issues don't get reported for us to see here.

they are at newest a 8 year old vehicle. they are going to break down and wear like anything. every major vehicle has a forum or even multiple forums where you can post about problems with your vehicle. every vehicle made is prone to problems, some Ferrari's catch fire with less than 1000 miles on them and that's a $150k+ plus car!

so in being disappointed in a nearly 10 year old vehicle that is still running on the road, no way. for every 1 problem you read or hear about there a more likely to be 15 that have had none or minimal problems. if they were that bad, they wouldn't be able to sell newer generations just based on reliability of previous models.

they are at newest a 8 year old vehicle. they are going to break down and wear like anything. every major vehicle has a forum or even multiple forums where you can post about problems with your vehicle. every vehicle made is prone to problems, some Ferrari's catch fire with less than 1000 miles on them and that's a $150k+ plus car!

so in being disappointed in a nearly 10 year old vehicle that is still running on the road, no way. for every 1 problem you read or hear about there a more likely to be 15 that have had none or minimal problems. if they were that bad, they wouldn't be able to sell newer generations just based on reliability of previous models.

With such low miles, I just have issues with majors problems. But I guess that's me...
With newer models, comes newer, hopefully more improved, changes...

How do you have ball joint and tranny problems this early? Those are known problems but hardly ever pop up before 150k miles.

it's not necessarily the miles, age really can do a number on parts that wear out. sometimes less driving is the cause of the problem.

Agreed, at this point age has a greater affect on reliability than mileage does. In my opinion the thing that has the greatest effect on a vehicles life is where it is parked. If you want to have your vehicle last as long as it can, keep it in a garage, followed by a carport, or at the very least on pavement. Parking on dirt and grass is very detrimental to the vehicle.

Vehicle maintenance is the other most important factor. Bottom line is if you maintain your vehicle well the chances of you having reliability problems is very low.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Agreed, at this point age has a greater affect on reliability than mileage does. In my opinion the thing that has the greatest effect on a vehicles life is where it is parked. If you want to have your vehicle last as long as it can, keep it in a garage, followed by a carport, or at the very least on pavement. Parking on dirt and grass is very detrimental to the vehicle.

Vehicle maintenance is the other most important factor. Bottom line is if you maintain your vehicle well the chances of you having reliability problems is very low.

my biggest pet peeve about cars is seeing them parked on grass with a for sale sign on them!

Back