4wd not working please help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4wd not working please help

Reaction score
City, State
Vicksburg, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
my 4wd quit working nothing popped or broke that i know of. i checked it is locking in but will not pull the front tires. please help me diagnose this problem thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check for blown fuse in the engine compartment

My 1994 XLT is stuck in 4 wheel and will not return to 2 wheel,Please help da57

My 1994 XLT is stuck in 4 wheel and will not return to 2 wheel,Please help da57

See Post #2 in this thread.

Can someone please help me with mine its a 2002 with the 4.0l my 4wd will not engage the light for it wont even come on or try to come on....it doesnt even want to try to come on it seems like. i checked all of the fuses does anyone have any ideas?

i dunno if it has anything to do with it but my abs light is on?

You are sure it's not the shift motor as JDraper stated above or a bad electrical connection to the shift motor. My ABS light came on before....was a corroded wire once and a lose connection another time on my '91 4L. Causes rears brakes to lock up and skid when braking hard....a must to get fixed.

Most likely culprit is the shift motor. Very common problem. Check out http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123542 . If it's not the shift motor, than the vacuum modulator on your front axle may have stopped working, but that usually causes the 4x4 light to flash....

No-sir-ee-bob.... The shift motor is not involved in the transfer case lockup on a second-gen.

On a '96, when you switch to 4auto, the center axle disconnect must also lock in for the 4wd to work. Odds are, it's not. This is a common problem with the 95s and 96s. (They did away with the CAD for 97) It can be caused by broken vacuum lines, sticking solenoids, or a sticking vacuum motor on the actuator end of the system.

-Joe

In his first post he said it was locking in, but not pulling. That sounds like a transfer case problem to me.

Didn't the '95 and '96 have a 2wd setting as well as the auto like the 97-ups? I did the initial write up on the modification for the vacuum disco on the '95-96 model so you could switch it manually, and I think I remember having that on ExplorerEB96's truck when I did the work. If so, then I would think the shift motor does have something to do with it....I know it doesn't in the '97-up. That just kicks it in and out of 4lo.

could mine be a bad switch or loose connection because the lights on the switch dont even light up at all likes its even trying to engage

i know this isnt the place to post about a bronco 2 but i cant find another site as good as this but my 4wd wont work the hubs turn an feel like they lock an the transfer case shifts fine but the front wheels will not spin or pull when i turn they make a loud clunking noise kind of like somethings popping really loud someone please help me its snowing bad and i have a new born that needs to get to the doc

p.s it has lock out hubs an a shifter in the floor its a 89

same problem. 2001 sport trac. 4x4 indicator lights wont turn on and 4 wheel wont engage. any firm answers out there?

No 4x4

I too have the same problem on my 02 Explorer. One day everthing just stopped working. No lights, No 4x4, No Nothing. Someone has gotta know something??

my 4wd wont work. when i turn the knob, i can hear da transfer case clunk, and the light on the dash goes on, but the front wheels wont pull. i looked under the truck and the drive shaft is spinning. thank you

my 4wd wont work. when i turn the knob, i can hear da transfer case clunk, and the light on the dash goes on, but the front wheels wont pull. i looked under the truck and the drive shaft is spinning. thank you

check the vacum lines for the cad.

For those of you with the 2002's I have seen a few of the 4x4 modules go bad, need a scan tool to check and see if there is any communication with the module, if no comm, check power and grounds-if they test good it is a module. Once again check with a scan tool first before just putting in a module. If I remember right there is a ssm involving part numbers on modules to determine faulty modules. Also most likely the abs light will be unrelated to the 4x4 concern.

Hey guys i got a 1995 ford explorer, torsion keys and body lift. and i was up wheeling in the snow and the 4wd was working great. unil i got stopped then when i started going again i dumped the clutch and it was going CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK and the front tires where engaging and disingaging. i checked and cv joints and drive lines fine.. also it goes into 4lo so i know its not the transfer case. any thoughts anyone? thanks!

Hey guys i got a 1995 ford explorer, torsion keys and body lift. and i was up wheeling in the snow and the 4wd was working great. unil i got stopped then when i started going again i dumped the clutch and it was going CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK and the front tires where engaging and disingaging. i checked and cv joints and drive lines fine.. also it goes into 4lo so i know its not the transfer case. any thoughts anyone? thanks!

Sounds like it's working just the way it's supposed to to me.

Tip: To avoid the clunking, you'll want to do the Brown Wire Mod, but use it to APPLY power full-time to the transfer case clutch coil to manually lock the clutch in at 100% duty cycle for true 4WD operation.

Good luck!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Be a bit easier if everyone would start there own thread.....

Back